Yamaha to a Charly

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Yamaha to a Charly

Post by Duncan »

AE86 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:38 pm Chaly not "Charly".

They're bombproof little buggers though, love them to bits.

AE86, I dont think I over paid for the Yamaha,,, what value would you put on it and the Chaly.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

A Mio with minor problems and papers (owner's card), $100-125, major problems and papers ($0-50), in running condition $200-250 no papers, with papers and okay running condition $350-400.

Chalys, really depends on the condition. A clean one just imported usually goes over $600-700, especially a late model 70, an early model 50 around $550. In semi rough shape and been in Cambodia for a few years...$200-300 depending on condition, etc. Last Chaly I bought from Siem Reap in original condition was $265 but it was fairly rough. I would have paid $350 for a decent clean bike that was in "ride anywhere" condition, there just weren't any available when I was shopping.

I think you got a fair deal, but doing work yourself is the factor here. Many mechanics in Cambodia can not resurrect broken down bikes for a profit so they get broken down for parts an the frame scrapped for garbage collectors. i.e. Last auto I bought I paid $50 for, rebuilt the electrics and motor (cost $110 ish of parts) and sold it for $350 something, but given the amount of stuff I had to know to bring it back to life...well, you be the price judge. You get the idea.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

A tenant bought a working Mio in condition from a friend - we told them both it was nothing to do with us - and had some minor issue (which I swore would be sorted with a new battery). Being all fierce and independent, she took it off to a local repairer, and when she got it back it had turned into a Mio with major problems and papers. We'd warned her about repairers swapping out perfectly fine parts for dodgy ones, so they can onsell the original parts, but she felt confident of her ability to pick a trustworthy-looking mechanic.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i live not far from Sa Ang- in Kampong Svay
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AE86 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:38 pm Chaly not "Charly".

They're bombproof little buggers though, love them to bits.

Well it appears they are not as bomb proof as you think. After only one week, the 14 yo kid turns up with a photo of himself, on the Samsung tablet, repairing the moto, and gives me a list of parts require.

But dont get me wrong , I am quite happy about it, cause that is exactly why I bought him a moto. So he can learn to repair it when it breaks down.

Do we have a AK86 translate ?

Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

1. skin = plastic covering, nice new color?
2. oil
3. petrol/gasoline
4. might be a shaft, not sure.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

4. Camshaft (l'kam)

That's a really weird thing to replace all on it's lonesome though...
-insert signature here
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AE86 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:23 pm 4. Camshaft (l'kam)

That's a really weird thing to replace all on it's lonesome though...

That OK, Next week he can practice stripping down the moto so he can replace something else.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

:thumb:

And that's a cool thing you're doing for the kid.
-insert signature here
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Yamaha to a Charly

Post by Mojo »

Not a car story, but more translation fun. Years ago Japanese company Korg had a very popular synth in the US called the M1. The wanted to capitalize on its success and US Korg told them what to name it. But when it arrived it was inexplicably named O1W. Turn it upside down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic