A Silly Question, but...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ronny
BANNED

A Silly Question, but...

Post by Ronny »

Hey guys. I know this sounds silly to some of you, but how did you guys get your money into Cambodia without having a banking account there? Traveler's checks or what? And what does it take to open a banking account there? What are the requirements?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: A Silly Question, but...

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Ronny wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:34 pm Hey guys. I know this sounds silly to some of you, but how did you guys get your money into Cambodia without having a banking account there? Traveler's checks or what? And what does it take to open a banking account there? What are the requirements?
not silly mate,
before i just used my English bank card and just used the ATMs id take out about $290 out each time (if you take out $300 you would likely get 3x $100 bills) would cost me about £7 each transaction,
all the ATMs accepted my English Visa bank card

i then got a Cambodian bank account with ABA and just transfer my money over online, much easier and cheaper,

to open my account all i needed was my passport with visa extension, proof of my address (lease agreement or something that has your address on) and some money to open the account, think that was it,
its very simple, as long as you have your stuff, they do all the fiddly stuff, i even had them set up the mobile banking app on my phone whilst i was there
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's a wide range of options. Because of space constrictions, high value notes such as €500 are preferable:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Ronny wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:34 pm Hey guys. I know this sounds silly to some of you,

but how did you guys get your money into Cambodia without having a banking account there?

Traveler's checks or what? And what does it take to open a banking account there? What are the requirements?

I've had no problem bringing $ 9,900 with me in $100 notes every six months. I'm happy to do that knowing I'm not getting ripped off by bank charges and their shitty exchange rate.

All kept in a '' under the mattress '' bank.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

I was thinking about just taking a lot of Traveler's Checks with me when I go there (Maybe $20,000 or so). Does that sound about right?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ronny wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 am I was thinking about just taking a lot of Traveler's Checks with me when I go there (Maybe $20,000 or so). Does that sound about right?
Cambodian banks no longer recognize or accept Traveler's cheques.

Are you coming as a tourist, or to live? If you're coming to live, open an account with ABA once here and then just transfer funds via SWIFT from your home bank account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Ronny wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 am I was thinking about just taking a lot of Traveler's Checks with me when I go there (Maybe $20,000 or so). Does that sound about right?

You would have to declare at customs anything over USA $10,000 even if it is travelers cheques.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Cambodian banks no longer accept Traveler's Checks??? Since I'm in Thailand, I'll simply be crossing the border (no airplane) so do I have to declare anything at the border? And when I go I will be planning to stay for some time and I will not be a tourist. And if I took cash across the border, how much could I take?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

That's right, Cambodian banks no longer recognize or accept travelers cheques.

Technically you are supposed to declare if you are carrying USD$10,000+ cash or equivalent, many countries have the same requirement. They won't take it off you if that's what you're worried about, but you are supposed to declare it, although I highly doubt Customs will actually check, especially at a land border crossing. If you're really worried, hollow out a couple of books and hide the cash inside, I used to do that when working in Afghan and was getting paid in cash.

I'd be more concerned about travelling and staying in hotels/guesthouses with huge sums of cash.

Do you have a visa/mastercard debit card with your bank in Thailand? Why not just use that?
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Yes, for most countries including Cambodia you must declare possession of $10,000 USD or more when entering that country but for Thailand it is $20,000. The law does not forbid you from bringing more than those cash amounts into the countries but you should be prepared for potentially detailed questioning about the source and/or planned use of that cash.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic