A Silly Question, but...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: A Silly Question, but...

Post by monomial »

Ronny wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:50 pm Phuket, I'm confused. But whatever. I guess I'll find out next month. But one thing is clear: My son will still be living with my EX so I guess it really doesn't matter for me.
Don't give up that easy. Don't you have shared custody? Does your son ever visit you on weekends?

You can still show support of a dependent even if he primarily lives with your ex, as long as he lives with you sometimes. I think it is reasonable to say he lives with his mother in order to go to school and visits with you on holidays and weekends. I think most immigration officers would probably agree that this is normal and reasonable. Nobody is out to separate a child from a loving parent.

Shared custody is not a reason for refusing an extension of stay based on support of a dependent. Just make sure you are ready to explain the custody sharing arrangement.

In the end it is up to the officer, but in my experience, and I have a great deal of it in my 20 years living in Thailand, as long as you present the information in a way that is reasonable and you meet the financial requirements the extension of stay will be approved. I'm not sure how valid some of the figures being thrown around in this forum are as it directly contradicts everything I have experienced, but all you need to do is go to the immigration office where you will be applying and ask. They should be able to give you accurate information and with no need to guess.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks, Mono. I will be going to extend my "90 Days" next month so I will ask them then. Thank you so much for your caring and for your information.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I think you can sti ll change travelers cheques at Cambodia Asia bank on riverside and monivong/street154, but they charged me $50 for a $500 amex cheque. used to be $5. I took another one to thaialnd, changed it for no fee into baht and when I came back I got $498 for the baht!.

ABA is the best bank because it doesn't have annoying extra fees like ACLEDA, the app is brilliant and it works from Europe cos my mate can use it to send me money for his honey. They also give you a visa platinum debit card for $100 through them. Most Cambodian banks give you a better exchange rate than uk. if send pounds to ABA and let them change it into dollars I only get skimmed 1.5%. My UK bank skims 5% plus wire fees and my forex dealer takes 3%. Its cheaper than using an atm and your uk card!
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

pczz wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 pmMost Cambodian banks give you a better exchange rate than uk. if send pounds to ABA and let them change it into dollars I only get skimmed 1.5%. My UK bank skims 5% plus wire fees and my forex dealer takes 3%. Its cheaper than using an atm and your uk card!
Sorry to butt in on this thread but can I ask for more details on this as it sounds good?

You transfer UK Pounds from your UK bank to ABA Bank and you only lose about 1.5% on conversion into USD?
ABA Website wrote: Beneficiary Name Your name as per ABA Bank record
Beneficiary Address Your address
Beneficiary Account Number Your account number with ABA Bank (starts from 000)
Beneficiary Bank Name ADVANCED BANK OF ASIA LIMITED
Beneficiary Bank Address No. 148, Preah Sihanouk Blvd., Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Beneficiary Bank SWIFT Code ABAAKHPP
Correspondent Bank Choose one correspondent bank as per currency of remittance from our correspondent bank list
On the ABA website it mentions Correspondent Bank - did you use "GBP Standard Chartered Bank, London SCBLGB2L"?
And for the Beneficiary Account Number did you knock off the first three zeros?

Cheers,

Lurcio
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Sorry been a bit busy. I have 3 ways I use to send cash to Cambodia
1) Send in usd to ABA or Acleda. you will pay a correspondent bank fee so make sure your bank uses one in the list of the receiving bank or you may pay for 2 correspondent fees. Typically the fee is $35 to $50 for amounts under $20k. I usualyy send in chunks of $10k because 2 or 3 of us send $5 or $10k to get best rate. For example person a and B send me $5k and i then send $20k to camboida and get a better rate if I use a forex dealer like HIFX. Receiving fee at Cambodia banks is usually 0.1% minimum $20 so total fees are $20 for the bank plus $35 for the correspondent fee which we share. Sending a bigger amount can give us a couple of hundred dollars on the exchange rate you would get if you sent say $5000
2) same as above but send GBP. I found this is generally better as The cambodian banks will take 1.5% or so off the exchange rate where british banks (aka outright thieves) wil take up to 3.5%
3) I have an offshore usd account. I use a multi currency card to switch GBP to USD (o to 1% skim) then send the usd to my offshore account with the card (no fees). From there they very niceley send the usd to camboodia with no fees except the dreaded correspondent bank. Unfortunately this is limited to 10k at a time but you can do 3 a day. This is the cheapest and can save hundreds of dollars in extortion money charged by uk banks
Some cardswill letyou send direct to a cambodian bank in your name but they usually have low monthly limits.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Which UK bank lets you send GBP to ABA in Cambodia? I tried a couple of years ago. After 3 days of not arriving my UK bank reluctantly put the money back into my account and said "can not" regarding the transfer.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

walkjivefly wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:35 am Which UK bank lets you send GBP to ABA in Cambodia? I tried a couple of years ago. After 3 days of not arriving my UK bank reluctantly put the money back into my account and said "can not" regarding the transfer.

I send money from Nationwide to my ABA account. Gets there in two days. I think it's NatWest that doesn't have Cambodia as an option.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

walkjivefly wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:35 am Which UK bank lets you send GBP to ABA in Cambodia? I tried a couple of years ago. After 3 days of not arriving my UK bank reluctantly put the money back into my account and said "can not" regarding the transfer.

I use the Halifax to ABA. Halifax charges £9 for any amount of monies transfer fee.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

AndyKK wrote:

I use the Halifax to ABA. Halifax charges £9 for any amount of monies transfer fee.
cptrelentless wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:19 am

I send money from Nationwide to my ABA account. Gets there in two days. I think it's NatWest that doesn't have Cambodia as an option.
Cheers, both.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^ your welcome. Nationwide used to be free, but went above the transfer fee of Halifax. But it is worth looking for any updates has things change. Some UK banks have silly rules on international payments, one I visited you had to have a balance left in the account of £75.000 if you went under you could not transfer.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic