more rural is idioms

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

more rural is idioms

Post by taabarang »

OK, I just found(heard)another one related to speaking which is "nihyey krolech kraloch". The meaning is to speak from both sides of the mouth, I.e. to say one thing and then to say the opposite.

Rural Cambodians frequently attribute this style of speaking to the former King Sihanouk.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: more rural is idioms

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tried translating it for you, but i cant find a "krolech or Kraloch" in the dictionary :(
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Well actually I translated it already, but again I emphasize this is rural and needless to say doubtlessly dialectical. So it is best tested by your rural friends and not a dictionary. Dictionaries are grave yards where living speech goes when it is in its final death throws.

By the way try "kraloch", I might have heard wrong. It's the short " o" as in the French word
ecole..
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:41 pm Well actually I translated it already, but again I emphasize this is rural and needless to say doubtlessly dialectical. So it is best tested by your rural friends and not a dictionary. Dictionaries are grave yards where living speech goes when it is in its final death throws.

By the way try "kraloch", I might have heard wrong. It's the short " o" as in the French word
ecole..
oh of coarse, i like trying to discover the routes/origins of the idioms, by translating it directly then understanding the crossover into the meaning, i love idioms :)
i wont give up, but i might translate a song this afternoon
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: more rural idioms

Post by taabarang »

OK , Jamie I'll double check my usual infallible source, my better linguistic half, to see if my phonetics are off.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: more rural idioms

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 am OK , Jamie I'll double check my usual infallible source, my better linguistic half, to see if my phonetics are off.
yeah i always find it difficult trying to read a barangs phonetics as everyone has different ways of trying to spell shit, depending on their accent/place of origin
me i generally use the khmer romanizaton, which in itself often dont spell anything like they sound, but ive learnt their way, and even thats not always the same due to their lack of knowledge of the english language lol

for eg.

ពៅ - (khmer way) = Pov, (barang way) = Pow/Pau
ហើយ - (khmer way) = Hery/Hauy, (barang way) = Howie
អ្វី - (khmer way) = Avei, (barang way) = Awei/Awey
ផ្ទះ - (khmer way) = Ptas/Pteas, (barang way) = Pteah
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I don't think that's a rural idiom. I've heard it before and just asked my girlfriend and she knows it too (and she's from PP). So technically I think it's not a rural idiom but simply a Khmer one.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:02 pm I don't think that's a rural idiom. I've heard it before and just asked my girlfriend and she knows it too (and she's from PP). So technically I think it's not a rural idiom but simply a Khmer one.
can you get your missus to write it in khmer script for me? perweeze
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Sorry Jamie, no Khmer keyboard.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:30 pm Sorry Jamie, no Khmer keyboard.
if youre able to upload photos, next time, ask if you can get someone to write them on a piece of paper and i can copy it form there,
theres so many different ways to spell khmer words with the multitude of similar sounding consonants and vowels,
similar to words in English like Where, Wear, Were, Ware, There, Their, Theyre, To, Two, Too etc. etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic