A new visa question

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

A new visa question

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Ok so here it goes.

I'm about 4 months into a 12 month business visa extension (EB) I have a work permit and had had one for several years.

I have just been made redundant from my position so am now unemployed. I have an active visa, a work permit (which is tied to the company I no longer work at).

Legally what visa should I now be on now that I am no longer employed or will it even matter?

I thought it was an interesting situation and would be keen to hear from people their thoughts.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A new visa question

Post by timmydownawell »

I think we are just waiting for them to start actually enforcing any of the E(x) visas. I have an EB but no business or work permit. But don't tell anyone ok? :D

I'm sure as soon as anyone gets pulled up on their EB they will post about it here. So I wouldn't worry about it for the time being.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

As you know kiwi, I'm in the same situation as you, except my visa is due next month. I just plan on giving it to Lucky Lucky and see what happens. I don't expect any dramas. Will let you know.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

From what I can work out, EB +no work permit is fine if you don't work.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

timmydownawell wrote:I think we are just waiting for them to start actually enforcing any of the E(x) visas. I have an EB but no business or work permit. But don't tell anyone ok? :D

I'm sure as soon as anyone gets pulled up on their EB they will post about it here. So I wouldn't worry about it for the time being.
To be clear I'm not actually that worried about it. I just thought it was an interesting situation that would raise a very valid discussion.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:As you know kiwi, I'm in the same situation as you, except my visa is due next month. I just plan on giving it to Lucky Lucky and see what happens. I don't expect any dramas. Will let you know.
Sure. Let us know how you get on. I would be surprised if it went anything but smooth but it would be good to know for sure.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Barang chgout wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:13 pmFrom what I can work out, EB +no work permit is fine if you don't work.
Something must have changed this year. I have just renewed my one-year visa and now it suddenly has an innocuous mention E (subscript) B below the visa number. Nobody ever asked me what type of E(subscript)X visa I actually wanted. They could also not just repeat last year's visa mention, because it doesn't have one.

Furthermore, there's an enormous elephant in the closet. "Work" is no longer what it used to be. What exactly is "work"?

Cambodian labour law
Every enterprise may consist of several establishments, each employing a group of people working together in a defined place such as in factory, workshop, work site, etc., under the supervision and direction of the employer.

Technological progress is turning most forms of work into a bidirectional stream of bytes, without defined place and without supervision or direction. Attempts to regulate streams of bytes amounts to trying to establish censorship on the internet.

John Gilmore, in Time Magazine, Dec 1993: The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.

Since Cambodian labour law is only applicable to people working in a defined place under supervision, and since most work can also be done without supervision, and not in a defined place, it is trivial for most foreigners to engage in labour law avoidance. The Cambodian work permit is simply another instance of the paper belt trying to fight a war against technology. Up till now, the paper belt has globally lost all its battles.

Technology is a very dangerous choice of enemy for the paper belt. The power of the paper belt rests on their monopoly on the use of force. However, the use of force itself is very predicated on technology. In that sense, they are attacking people who can very easily stab them in the back.

So, their very last argument would be one based on morality.

However, since all legitimacy emanates from the laws of the Almighty, we can happily counter that the Cambodian labour law was never ordained or authorized by the Almighty, the original and only legitimate lawmaker. Hence, the believers shall be instructed to spit on such detestable man-made law.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

eriksank wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:14 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:13 pmFrom what I can work out, EB +no work permit is fine if you don't work.
Something must have changed this year. I have just renewed my one-year visa and now it suddenly has an innocuous mention E (subscript) B below the visa number. Nobody ever asked me what type of E(subscript)X visa I actually wanted. They could also not just repeat last year's visa mention, because it doesn't have one...
We requested of Lucky Lucky an ER for Mrs Stroppy and an EB for myself as a legitimate business owner - we both got EBs. I'd say the Immigration Office has gone into chaos control.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Barang chgout wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:13 pm From what I can work out, EB +no work permit is fine if you don't work.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

HMMM
ok u have a EB extension, what do u say when they ask
"where is ur wp"
"i dont have one cause i dont work"
" Well Prove it, how do u get ur $$"

as i understand it, an EB extension is for those working or seeking work, not living in Cambodia with out working..
its coming closer and closer till they fix the loop holes that have existed so far ( same as they have been doing in Thailand)

IF i was retired, ( still not sure what age they considered you retied but thailand its 50), having any kind of outside pension or savings and NOT working, i would be on a ER extension.

SO SC; ur wife got the same extension,
here in thailand a wife of someone on a retired extension or on a B ( work visa) & WP, can get a NON O immigrant visa/extension and listed as a dependent.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:58 pm
eriksank wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:14 pm
Something must have changed this year. I have just renewed my one-year visa and now it suddenly has an innocuous mention E (subscript) B below the visa number. Nobody ever asked me what type of E(subscript)X visa I actually wanted. They could also not just repeat last year's visa mention, because it doesn't have one...
We requested of Lucky Lucky an ER for Mrs Stroppy and an EB for myself as a legitimate business owner - we both got EBs. I'd say the Immigration Office has gone into chaos control.
Just had to look at my most recent visa & indeed there is an EB below #. Looking back thru previous there is no designation.

Stroppy, is there a diff in $ form EB to ER designation. Was there any other docs needed for either?
Thanks. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic