A new visa question

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: A new visa question

Post by kiwiincambodia »

The point of the thread is when you have an active EB with a WP and then become unemployed during that time.

Are you, according to the new regulations, supposed to get a new visa or change it or just wait until it needs to be renewed.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

I know a bloke who got a WP as self employed. I would imagine that would cover a change of jobs. He is actually employed by a company here and also has his own business. Only the 1 work permit.
To clarify that - the work permit he has states " Self employed" on it
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:13 pm The point of the thread is when you have an active EB with a WP and then become unemployed during that time.

Are you, according to the new regulations, supposed to get a new visa or change it or just wait until it needs to be renewed.
Change it to what? As I see it your choice is EB or EB, others may have the choice of an ER. You don't need to change a thing. Yet.
It's what happens when WPs are due again. Do you have to get one? Even if you are still between jobs?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:03 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:13 pm From what I can work out, EB +no work permit is fine if you don't work.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

HMMM
ok u have a EB extension, what do u say when they ask
"where is ur wp"
"i dont have one cause i dont work"
" Well Prove it, how do u get ur $$"
could show them bank statements?
ive got a cambodian bank and transfer all my money into it, i can prove the money leaving my bank and entering my khmer bank, no dramas
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:13 pm The point of the thread is when you have an active EB with a WP and then become unemployed during that time.

Change it to what? As I see it your choice is EB or EB, others may have the choice of an ER. You don't need to change a thing. Yet.
It's what happens when WPs are due again. Do you have to get one? Even if you are still between jobs?
I honestly don't know what you would change it to. Maybe has others said, change the WP to self employed?

All great questions raised hence the need for a discussion on the issue. It definitely seems like a grey area that has not been thought about yet, but that does not surprise me in the slightest either.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

But what if you're not self employed, what if you are between jobs?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Luigi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:13 pmStroppy, is there a diff in $ form EB to ER designation. Was there any other docs needed for either?
Thanks. :hattip:
No, same price - I've heard from others that you'll get an ER if you're actually 60 (which is obviously calculated from your passport) and from one friend who snuck in at 59 - I think he turns 60 in the duration of the visa. Others reported earlier in the year of being able to get an ER regardless of their age, but that seems to have dried up.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:But what if you're not self employed, what if you are between jobs?
Exactly
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 pm
Luigi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:13 pmStroppy, is there a diff in $ form EB to ER designation. Was there any other docs needed for either?
Thanks. :hattip:
No, same price - I've heard from others that you'll get an ER if you're actually 60 (which is obviously calculated from your passport) and from one friend who snuck in at 59 - I think he turns 60 in the duration of the visa. Others reported earlier in the year of being able to get an ER regardless of their age, but that seems to have dried up.
I know several people under 60 who have obtained the ER EOS, no questions asked, one guy is only mid-40's even!
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:03 pm "where is ur wp"
"i dont have one cause i dont work"
" Well Prove it, how do u get ur $$"
... Inherited ...
... My mother still supports me ...
... Gift from a friend ...
... I already had a lot of money before I came here ...
... I am sitting on an enormous stash of bitcoins ...
... I own 28 apartment towers in Sidney, Australia ...
... Whatever ...

It is usually hard to verify any documents that would prove or disprove such claim. It would be dumb paper again. I have seen accountant firms in Thailand, in the streets, who fabricate all of that for you, against a moderate fee. They all file with the same immigration officer, their beloved Saprikanikorn, who never checks and always approves these files. However, if you do not go through one of these accounting firms, and irrespective of the veracity of your paperwork ("where is the Thai translation?"), our beloved Saprikanikorn will always find reasons to reject your application.

We are pleased to announce that new rules are always new opportunities for more corruption!

By the way, I wonder which corrupt western NGO is behind these new visa and work permit requirements? I am an admirer of the Afghans. They burn that kind of western NGO workers at the stake over there. I always enjoy reading reports about that.

People in Need’s Hollister agreed: “The cornerstone of our security here [in Afghanistan] is acceptance by the communities where we work. We remain neutral, impartial and not religious."

Ha ahah ha! What an idiot. He really believes that he is going to be allowed to preach feminist insurgencies amongst the local women ... go figure!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic