Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Upcoming Cambodian Elections (WARNING FROM THE US EMBASSY IN PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Upcoming Cambodian Elections (WARNING FROM THE US EMBASSY IN PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

"This security message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Cambodia that the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh anticipates political gatherings and demonstrations ahead of nationwide commune elections on June 4.

The Embassy encourages U.S. citizens to avoid large crowds and immediately vacate any area where crowds are gathering.  Although recent political gatherings in Cambodia have been largely nonviolent, even demonstrations or events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence without warning.  You should exercise caution in areas of large crowds and leave the area if you are concerned for your safety.

You should remain alert to local security developments by monitoring local news reports, be vigilant regarding your personal security and preparedness, be aware of your surroundings, and plan your activities accordingly.

For further information:

https://kh.usembassy.gov/security-messa ... y-31-2017/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Upcoming Cambodian Elections (WARNING FROM THE US EMBASSY IN PHNOM PENH, CAMBODI

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Should be common-sense...unfortunately common-sense isn't so common these days!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Upcoming Cambodian Elections (WARNING FROM THE US EMBASSY IN PHNOM PENH, CAMBODI

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Unfortunately people will probably go towards them to get the much desired selfie. They can then post it on Facebook and show all their friends back home how they are helping to save cambodia.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Yeah well, the US Embassy issues warnings when the temperatures drop. No surprise there.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Last edited by vladimir on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

'avoid large crowds'' ...there goes my commute.

Be aware of your surroundings...sounds like 15 million drivers could use that advice.

I love the fact that they know all the ways to stay safe, but routinely do exactly the opposite with their foreign policy

Where exactly is CAMBODI?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i thought most people will go back to their home province to vote leaving PP unpopulated?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:30 am i thought most people will go back to their home province to vote leaving PP unpopulated?
I've been told that the rules were changed and that now those working in PP can vote in PP. On the other hand, I know of many that will still do the migration to the countryside on the weekend.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:
frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:30 am i thought most people will go back to their home province to vote leaving PP unpopulated?
I've been told that the rules were changed and that now those working in PP can vote in PP. On the other hand, I know of many that will still do the migration to the countryside on the weekend.
That's what I have heard as well. If they are working in Phnom Penh they can now register to vote in Phnom Penh although most of my staff are still heading back to the province to vote and did not even know they could register in Phnom Penh
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic