Should we ask the mods for a small number of moderated threads?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Should we ask the mods for a small number of moderated threads?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:51 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:46 pm I'm not going to apologise because you don't like the interaction between Jamie and I, but I would suggest you check our post counts - I imagine others have realised that we're subconsciously having a gentleman's race to a certain milestone, and given our karma counts, I don't think anyone else begrudges that as much as you seem to.
haha when you first came back i felt up to the challenge, but then i realised theres no way i can keep up, i managed to overtake again the other day, now youre what 100 posts in front :suicide:
It's like a second honeymoon for me, the novelty will wear off shortly. Also, I spend my spare time a little differently to you! :D
and how have you got that much Karma! :mrgreen:
I employ Pakistani university students to data-mine karma, only a few cents per point...

Edit: I see your meme-ing skills are strong now, young padawan...
:beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Just to clear up what I said before here, and a bit more on the same topic.
Your theory, but in reality...
So YOU start the thread, then you decide what is OT and which comments don't suit you ? And then YOU get to play ban hammer !
Lol Jamie. He's not just after your "most posts" position - he also wants your hammer. :voilent1:

And who gets to decide if your thread is protected or not ? Which posters would be allowed to start these threads and to participate ?
Do you want an Anti-Asinine forum for serious people only which ban memes and punsters ? A No Joke Forum. (Lol. Silly allusion. Stop that right now.)
SC, I was taking a swing at your proposal, it wasn't intended to be personal, except that you were the one who proposed the idea of posters moderating their own threads and deleting other people's posts, which is why I said YOU.
But my concern is not aimed at you in particular. As someone else said, its a slippery slope.

Take one example, ME for instance: Tbh there are a few people - not regulars, and some post no more or very little - that I would want to delete no matter what they posted on MY thread if I was my own mod. But I don't think that this would be a good thing for a number of reasons, not the least being freedom of speech and diversity of opinion. Even if the OP is not a dictator, obviously they are going to put a bias on their thread by moderating things that they may find are offensive, OT or just stupid. Even with good intentions, that is censorship.

Another thing to consider with OP self-moderated threads would be - who gets to start these special threads ? On this forum, it would have to be every member's right to do this, since we are all equals, right ? But that could be a real shitstorm.

Last thing, AE suggested a forum for serious discussion which would be a little more strictly moderated - an anti-asinine forum if you will. Don't have to ban memes or jokes, but the OP could report posters that are impeding sensible discussion. More work for mods perhaps, but eventually it should settle down by itself. How many silly OT posts do you find in the cultural section for example ?
I think that perhaps it could work if there was a clearly defined Serious Discussion/ No Fun Zone. OPs from anywhere on the board could ask to get their threads moved to Serious Discussion if people are derailing it with OT.
And then of course, it will depend on how many people who post here actually want to have Serious Discussions.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Last edited by vladimir on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I'm chewing up your bandwidth? How many pineapples/sec do you get for $5/month?

Is chewing up bandwidth on the same level as censoring bad publicity? Just asking.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

AE86 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 pm I'm on a 3g connection, but $1 usually gets me a GB or two before I need to top off. I spend at most, $15 a month if I watch a lot of videos. How much are you paying?
It was a tongue in cheek comment mate! I pay $5 a month unlimited btw.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Ah I see. I used to have a limited connection in rural U.S. which was something like $100 USD a month for 5 or 10 GB, so I thought you may have had the same. Haha, I know the pain of watching your usage metre creep up and the page still isn't loading.
-insert signature here
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AE86 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:32 am Ah I see. I used to have a limited connection in rural U.S. which was something like $100 USD a month for 5 or 10 GB, so I thought you may have had the same. Haha, I know the pain of watching your usage metre creep up and the page still isn't loading.

we have 250GB :twisted:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:45 am Just to clear up what I said before here, and a bit more on the same topic.
Your theory, but in reality...
So YOU start the thread, then you decide what is OT and which comments don't suit you ? And then YOU get to play ban hammer !
Lol Jamie. He's not just after your "most posts" position - he also wants your hammer. :voilent1:

And who gets to decide if your thread is protected or not ? Which posters would be allowed to start these threads and to participate ?
Do you want an Anti-Asinine forum for serious people only which ban memes and punsters ? A No Joke Forum. (Lol. Silly allusion. Stop that right now.)
SC, I was taking a swing at your proposal, it wasn't intended to be personal, except that you were the one who proposed the idea of posters moderating their own threads and deleting other people's posts, which is why I said YOU.
But my concern is not aimed at you in particular. As someone else said, its a slippery slope.

Take one example, ME for instance: Tbh there are a few people - not regulars, and some post no more or very little - that I would want to delete no matter what they posted on MY thread if I was my own mod. But I don't think that this would be a good thing for a number of reasons, not the least being freedom of speech and diversity of opinion. Even if the OP is not a dictator, obviously they are going to put a bias on their thread by moderating things that they may find are offensive, OT or just stupid. Even with good intentions, that is censorship.

Another thing to consider with OP self-moderated threads would be - who gets to start these special threads ? On this forum, it would have to be every member's right to do this, since we are all equals, right ? But that could be a real shitstorm.

Last thing, AE suggested a forum for serious discussion which would be a little more strictly moderated - an anti-asinine forum if you will. Don't have to ban memes or jokes, but the OP could report posters that are impeding sensible discussion. More work for mods perhaps, but eventually it should settle down by itself. How many silly OT posts do you find in the cultural section for example ?
I think that perhaps it could work if there was a clearly defined Serious Discussion/ No Fun Zone. OPs from anywhere on the board could ask to get their threads moved to Serious Discussion if people are derailing it with OT.
And then of course, it will depend on how many people who post here actually want to have Serious Discussions.
All good comments/suggestions, but I'm sulking now as I'm a precious snowflake and didn't get what I wanted! :wink: The original proposal for OP-moderation was seriously only to minimise additional work on the green shirts. Actually not in any way wedded to this idea, or variations, was just a question to the group. Others that I consider conversational heavyweights have not indicated * an interest, so I'm good with that.

Edit: *much of
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic