Should we ask the mods for a small number of moderated threads?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Should we ask the mods for a small number of moderated threads?

Post by frank lee bent »

i think this is how the nazis got started. leaderless mob cries out for governance
bit of that throughout the English speaking world these days.
EDC
Expatriate
Australia

Should we ask the mods for a small number of moderated threads?

Post by EDC »

StroppyChops wrote:I'm curious - I asked about whether a small number of moderated threads for serious discussions would be a good idea.

This would not have any impact on the normal day-to-day activity of the forum - it would be something additional off to one side.

Why so challenged? No, seriously, why does me asking the question upset you so much?
I agree with AM...it seems that he raised some valid concerns, which you seem to have ignored...
Anchor Moy wrote: So YOU start the thread, then you decide what is OT and which comments don't suit you ? And then YOU get to play ban hammer !
Lol Jamie. He's not just after your "most posts" position - he also wants your hammer. :voilent1:

And who gets to decide if your thread is protected or not ? Which posters would be allowed to start these threads and to participate ?
A lot of potential for abuse there, which could easily lead to more stress for the mods...not less!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 am
StroppyChops wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 7:07 pm To be clear, I was suggesting the moderating for a "serious" thread be done by the OP, not the mods. For God's sake, Carl, the mods have to live too!
Your theory, but in reality...
So YOU start the thread, then you decide what is OT and which comments don't suit you ? And then YOU get to play ban hammer !
Lol Jamie. He's not just after your "most posts" position - he also wants your hammer. :voilent1:

And who gets to decide if your thread is protected or not ? Which posters would be allowed to start these threads and to participate ?
Do you want an Anti-Asinine forum for serious people only which ban memes and punsters ? A No Joke Forum. (Lol. Silly allusion. Stop that right now.)

But, actually (seriously) there are a lot of serious threads on the board that don't turn into memes or photos of big tits.
General Chatter is for "chatter", so its normal to have chit-chat and jokes. News section is usually more or less serious discussions, except when the news lends itself to banality. In fact most of the smaller forums are completely serious - with a few jokes fortunately about garbage in the streets and how things are getting so much better.

And also, sometimes serious subjects are better treated with jest - irony is effective as a means of defeating censorship or PCness in some cases. In other cases those juvenile memes are telling you that your subject of discussion is effectively open to interpretation and maybe that's worth thinking about.
Ok, enough blabla from me. Get thinking. :smokin:
I honestly missed all your blabla as it was hidden in among all the memes! I didn't see it until someone quoted you later.

You could not pay me enough to turn green, this has been stated before. Not really sure how to respond to your "YOU" comments or later nazi-esque comments from others, other than to say that clearly my suggestion is not supported/wanted by the forum - and that's totally fine. I would like to have the odd adult on-topic conversation here with certain members who have been around longer or experienced more of the country and culture than me, without distractions, but that can equally be done elsewhere. Even though a few of us more moderate posters have enjoyed meme-ing a lot recently, it's typically only just one or two f-wits that destroy any good conversation - but what happens then is the conversation gets lost in those f-wits being shouted down.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:27 pm I think we should ban memes. Yet another great thread destroyed.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Username Taken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:27 pm I think we should ban memes. Yet another great thread destroyed.
I LOLed
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i guess i am to old, dont see the thing behind Memes.... must be something kids like that need pics and words are not enough :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:59 pm i guess i am to old, dont see the thing behind Memes.... must be something kids like that need pics and words are not enough :stir:
a picture speaks a thousand words my friend, a saying that is older than yours truly :wink: :stir:

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

not targeting you with the nazi remark SC
Алина Анисимов
Expatriate

Post by Алина Анисимов »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 am Hotdigr wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:39 am
Both these idea's go against the very reason this forum was founded.

I agree, we are not thaivisa
I think that went down the tubes , when SQUF's name and photos were posted on the forum (was told about the juicey thread from another user who wasn't impressed. As for the mods here Jamie and Username taken have a good grasp on the subject.Jamie I loved the way you are willing to give BB Trapper a chance,like everything in this world, it's not always your cup of coffee, doesn't mean others can't enjoy it or find it amusing.
Did I just go off topic.....delete delete delete !
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

How about we just try a "Serious Questions" section in the forum? Easy to open (just create a new section), and then specifically state that it's for serious on topic posts only. No special moderating necessary, I think we can all be adult enough to understand.

Personally I haven't posted much in terms of "fun" and memes because I don't want to ruin other people's threads which might be taken seriously. On the other hand, I like to post fun stuff and joke around too.

While we're at it, I would like a "commons section" for some useful info where we could all vote or opt to get certain helpful threads stickied there. Easy on the mods, serves our purposes too.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic