Any comprehensive threads / links?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Any comprehensive threads / links?

Post by hatchelt »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:39 pm Did you bother to try the links?
Me? Yeah, the "Move to Cambodia" book was published in 2012 and I'm unable to find a publishing date for the other.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hatchelt wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:56 pm
I don't suppose anyone knows which of these is the most up-to-date? Given the fact things like Visa laws seem to chop and change so regularly out there, an outdated guide almost seems detrimental.
Hello,
Listen, Cambodia is moving so fast that lots of things are out of date before they are even published. Even the online info. You go away for a month or two and everything's changed.
As for visa laws they are still being invented, so by the time you get here they will probably have evolved again. Just come and see. Get an ordinary/business visa - the one that costs you $5 more - when you arrive in Cambodia, and THEN you can wing it from there. We all have to wing it all the time because yeah, its changing all the time. That's one of the charms. You learn to be flexible. If you want reliable efficiency, try Switzerland :plus1:
Just come and try it. It's easier to understand once you're here.
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Just I guess average cost of living when doing it cheap? Any particular fb groups to join or blogs to follow? It be nice to find a job out here after a while or someway to suppliment a living. Looking for somewhere cheap, near a nice beach that isn't too busy to start with.

Thanks for the replies
Cost of living varies wildly. Here's a couple of examples:-

I know a guy who lives on $400 a month and drinks 10 x 50c beers every day and a guy who has come over and burnt through $8000 in 10 weeks even though he barely drinks.

The first one cycles everywhere, shops every day at the market and cooks all his own meals, lives in a $55 fan room and has an older (50+) Khmer GF.

The second rents a brand new airblade moto, mostly eats out especially at Mike's Burgers, lives in a $250 apartment spending half as much again on his aircon electricity bill and is already on his 3rd adopted Khmer ready-built family.

They both appear equally happy :D with life.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Cheers lurcio, good to know. I'd be happy around 600$ a month if I can manage it, I'm not a massive drinker (everyday) but i am prone to a binge from time to time
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic