Do you carry your passport/copy?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you carry your passport/copy?

I never leave home without it.
4%
Sometimes.
21%
Never.
75%

Total votes: 24
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Do you carry your passport/copy?

Post by OrangeDragon »

dagenham wrote: What? Did you leave the US so you could always be a 12 year-old boy? The "Evil State" oppressing you and your desire for a "free" lifestyle? Mom issues? You defend infantile senseless practices like drunk driving, not wearing helmets, not carrying ID, etc. so you can be free of the "Man".

I don't get it, OD...your whole schtick seems like a very bright kid defending himself so he doesn't have to wash the dishes...maybe you had a rough childhood...when I'm "back in the world" I don't feel over-controlled, over-regulated or persecuted...different contexts call for different guidelines...

having said that I love it here every bit as much as you do, but for none of the reasons that you do apparently...I'm not fearful at all, I simply take precautions, act responsibly and have loads of fun too...they're not mutually exclusive, friend...
You don't get it... that's for sure. I simply hadn't bothered with it... in fact hadn't even thought about it until someone else brought it up and so i posted my poll here. I had other much more enjoyable things on my mind. You however have put acres of thought and worry into the subject... my guess would be staying up nights wondering if the waterproof case you've secured it in would protect it at the deepest depths of the mekong were a boat you were riding on happen to sink.

you keep lashing out, and yeah... that's clearly what you're doing, at the smallest of insignificant things... particularly if they're things OTHER people do that you don't like. even if those things have zero impact on you. you make a LOAD of assumptions... like it's "because" it would make me free of "the man". when in fact the ability to make those personal choices, in either directions, is evidence of that freedom alone. something you seem to detest... personal freedoms to do anything that you in particular don't agree with.

But my question still stands... in all of these reasons you've given for carrying a photocopy of a passport which would be destroyed by any good rain, your own blood in an accident, etc... what evidence do you have of the failure to do so actually being of great consequence? Surely you're basing your information and opinion upon some foundation of experience and example and not just making it up based on imagined scenarios which have never actually occurred here? Share it with us.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

dagenham wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
dagenham wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I carry it when I know i'm going to need it - buying a vehicle, booking into accommodation, government business, signing a lease, banking administration - but not normally. Nor do I yet carry copies, this is something we're 'getting to'.
I'll drive you to a photocopy shop - it takes 5 minutes and maybe 2,000 riel...just might save your life (and the misses) when a few minutes matters when you're on the road unconscious.

Even Missionaries meet their maker when squashed by a Lexus...but maybe not (yet) if your friends/loved ones get you to the hospital/clinic/evacuation, etc...because it was very easy with the information found on your limp and lifeless body...
How is a copy of your passport going to save you? Your embassy will immediately send a delegate to assist you and demand that you get medical assistance while you're unconscious and bleeding out on the pavement? Having insurance papers/ID is way more important in an emergency as it signals that you have the $$$ to get treated. A copy of your passport only gives your nationality and ID. What then? How is this special or helpful to you in any way? No one cares. It's only useful if you're found dead as it'll help the cops identify the body faster.
What planet are you on? Your passport copy provides positive proof of "who" you are - the same name that's on the insurance card, etc. The hospital/emergency people need to know that you are actually the person on that cute insurance card as none of them have photos.

Wake up, face the fact of where you are (a dodgy 3rd world country with awful emergency care, etc. and that any and "all" docs that facilitate treatment are inherently good) and carry a copy of your passport - what is the big deal after all?

Jeez...you're all children who refuse to grow up...
You're so weird. On the one hand you're this sort of weird super-sexpat who loves whores, but on the other you're like a mother on steroids... "Don't climb up that tree! It's dangerous!", "Don't talk to strangers!", "Wear elbow pads and a helmet if you're going to go riding that bike young man!", "Hey, no running too fast!"... Out of curiosity: do you practice safe sex with the women you bed? I ask because the only other major sexpat type I knew didn't and I found that extremely disturbing. Most of the types I see around 51 don't seem like they're big on protection either so it would be funny if you "didn't like the feel of rubber" but were anal (pun semi-intended) about wearing helmets and carrying your passport around.

I mean do you really think the ambulance drivers are going to check to see if you have a copy of your passport before admitting you? No, they'll see the insurance card and that'll be enough for them. At worst they'll match your name with some piece of ID one you get to the hospital. Why would they specifically need to see your passport? And that's if your wallet and phone aren't stolen the moment your head hits the ground. I think you're the one stuck in Kansas buddy... /facepalm
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I carry a copy of dagenham's passport with me at all times...just to be extra double safe. :thumb:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Wait, is carrying around other people's insurance cards a thing now?
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Such children all youse...damn, mommy did a trip on ya'll...rebelling against "authority" by fleeing to a 3rd world country to avoid "lifestyle regulations"...sad lot...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:like a mother on steroids... "Don't climb up that tree! It's dangerous!", "Don't talk to strangers!", "Wear elbow pads and a helmet if you're going to go riding that bike young man!", "Hey, no running too fast!".
Spot.

On.

Description.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:like a mother on steroids... "Don't climb up that tree! It's dangerous!", "Don't talk to strangers!", "Wear elbow pads and a helmet if you're going to go riding that bike young man!", "Hey, no running too fast!".
Spot.

On.

Description.
Glad to see that you're maturing, OD...no caps this time...no yelling...just effective use of periods. Excellent!
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

^ Gorr Blimey, Dags, me ole china plate.

I thought they were called full stops when you are eating your jellied eels with your lovely old mum down the East End, not periods geezer.

Or....
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Don't encourage him or he'll be whipping out the Double Periods in mixed case again.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:Don't encourage him or he'll be whipping out the Double Periods in mixed case again.
EVERYTHING IS GAME EXCEPT CAPS WHICH ARE RUDE AND UNNECESSARY IF YOU CAN ARTICULATE YOUR FEELINGS WITH THE ARTFUL USE OF VOCABULARY AND SUBTLE PUNCTUATION. PERIOD. DOUBLE PERIOD...

AND THE BIBLE AINT GOT CAPS NEITHER...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic