What percentage of Americans actually cook from fresh ingredients at home?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: What percentage of Americans actually cook from fresh ingredients at home?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 2:24 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 2:17 pm
hanno wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 12:33 pm microwave is only valid for re heating previously cooked foods.
Not exactly true.
yup, ive actaully managed to cook a whole full english breakfast using solely a microwave haha
How do u do eggs over easy and make toast in a microwave..? :stir:
haha tbh i often cook eggs in the microwave, more healthy than frying, only takes 1 minute
you got me on the toast though, i did use a toaster for that lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 2:31 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 2:24 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 2:17 pm
hanno wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 12:33 pm microwave is only valid for re heating previously cooked foods.
Not exactly true.
yup, ive actaully managed to cook a whole full english breakfast using solely a microwave haha
How do u do eggs over easy and make toast in a microwave..? :stir:
haha tbh i often cook eggs in the microwave, more healthy than frying,

only takes 1 minute
you got me on the toast though, i did use a toaster for that lol

Yea, well I often cook my eggs in a rice cooker. Either whole egg, sitting on top of the rice or poached eggs in a small container sitting on top of the rice. Must be more healthy than cooking in a microwave.

Oh, and throw in a few hotdogs and a can of tuna and

My rice cooker is my best friend.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

You can steam your Dim Sims in your rice cooker too.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

OK , I know this thread is about ''What percentage of Americans cook from fresh ingredients at home '' ,, so here's a helpful hint to raise that percentage.

If your desperate for that cup of coffee at 5 am in the morning, put two cups of water in your rice cooker, bring to the boil and then click it on to ''simmer'' or ''keep warm.''

Throw in your coffee grounds and wait , then add condensed milk , and strain through a pair of your old underpants.

If you dont have a cup, just wrap the coffee grounds in your underpants and you can drink straight fro the rice cooker.

A rice cooker can also be YOUR best friend.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Duncan wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 4:04 pm OK , I know this thread is about ''What percentage of Americans cook from fresh ingredients at home '' ,, so here's a helpful hint to raise that percentage.

If your desperate for that cup of coffee at 5 am in the morning, put two cups of water in your rice cooker, bring to the boil and then click it on to ''simmer'' or ''keep warm.''

Throw in your coffee grounds and wait , then add condensed milk , and strain through a pair of your old underpants.

If you dont have a cup, just wrap the coffee grounds in your underpants and you can drink straight fro the rice cooker.

By underpants are you talking about boxers or briefs or does it not matter and either will work?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 4:32 pm
Duncan wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 4:04 pm OK , I know this thread is about ''What percentage of Americans cook from fresh ingredients at home '' ,, so here's a helpful hint to raise that percentage.

By underpants are you talking about boxers or briefs or does it not matter and either will work?

I think if you use boxer underpants it would taste like Starbucks coffee and if you used briefs it would taste like coffee from Mc Donalds.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

More than you'd think, I would rather starve than eat Mcdonalds, problem is rent has got so expensive it's closing out the mom and pop restaurants so it can be hard to eat healthy on the go. There is a big healthy push back though, fresh markets have become popular and where I live there are farmers markets everywhere where you can get a sleeve of garlic, 4 carrots, head of lettuce for a buck each, I like seeing bugs and some dirt in my veggies, means they didn't poison the shit out of it.

I tend to avoid the entire middle of the supermarket and balance my diet between chicken/beef/pork and fish(which 90% of the time I go out and spear myself.)
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We paid nearly 10 bucks for two coffees at Brown the other day (not by choice, it was a business meeting) and I think it may have been made in someone's shorts.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
jeff59
Tourist
United States of America

Post by jeff59 »

I am sitting here in Kansas reading this....
The closest mcdonalds is 20 miles from my house.....I would not eat there if you paid for it.
In my kitchen I have a grow light and have at present----12 types of lettuces---arugula----Thai sweet basil and cilantro growing...
Outside, I have a fenced in garden that is 30 meters by 20 meters..
If I was not heading to Thailand and Cambodia in July--I would have planted a variety of crops.
My neighbor has hogs and chickens and I have hormone free pork and free range eggs.
I cook every meal I eat ---I am looking forward to being back in Thailand soon where my lady cooks for me.
I use fresh ingredients every single day --even in winter--because I grow whatever I want indoors --
Perhaps, I am a rarity these days.
I was a Chef for over 20 years and worked all over the USA after I finished Culinary School.
It is quite shallow to believe that people in the USA eat only at fast food places or out of cans and microwaves.
Just walk into any market and you will find fresh produce year round.
That said, I think it is difficult for single working parents to cook fresh meals every day--
The USA I grew up in --is not the USA of today---
But, as summer begins there are millions of people growing tomatoes and other garden vegetables and city markets all across the country are beginning to open on weekends where fresh produce can be had from local growers--
I had 12 types of tomatoes last year in my garden---8 types of peppers---
I buy seeds from Thailand and China and grow exotic herbs and vegetables--
I grew up in the city --but-- my grandfather was a farmer--and my mother always had a garden--
My aunt and mother would can vegetables and make apple butter from the apple tree by our patio--
I only open a can for my dog-
I use my microwave to re-heat --
I freeze and can vegetables I grow and make blueberry jam every August when the Michigan blueberries are at the market--
I think it is how you are brought up and what your schedule is.
It is very tough for families that have to work long hours to try and keep up and prepare fresh meals --
I have spent my life cooking almost every day--
I have lived all over the world and travelled and learned cuisines from many places--
I look forward to learning Khmer food---
I have been cooking Thai food for over 30 years after having Thai older ladies in my hometown Kansas City teach me--
I spent 6 months a year for 5 years in Argentina cooking every day ---one of the most incredible places on Earth --
I had to laugh in Samui a few months ago when I tried to explain to my friends that KFC ---WAS SHORT FOR KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 pm We paid nearly 10 bucks for two coffees at Brown the other day (not by choice, it was a business meeting) and I think it may have been made in someone's shorts.
I've eaten at Browns probably 5 times in 7 years, and never once have I understood why it's popular.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic