Thoughts? Child-sex industry is dwindling, thanks to Christians

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Thoughts? Child-sex industry is dwindling, thanks to Christians

Post by StroppyChops »

Okay, okay, before you go into a default atheist stance, at least consider the article... Here's an article from Christianity Today that's doing the rounds of social justice media and it has some interesting points.

If you've got time to read it, what are your views?
Cambodia’s Child Sex Industry Is Dwindling—And They Have Christians to Thank

Sek Saroeun first read the Bible at a Phnom Penh bar where young girls were illegally sold for sex. Hamburgers were $1.00, draft beers were $1.50, and bigger bills could get you a companion for the night.

The Buddhist law student worked as a DJ at Martini Pub and had recently begun serving as an undercover informant for the Christian human rights group International Justice Mission (IJM). He scanned the room to scope out suspects as Michael Jackson boomed over the speakers. He cracked open a loaned copy of the Bible—a curiosity introduced to him through IJM—and began to make his way through it in the DJ booth.

Sek took part in the organization’s earliest sex trafficking investigations in Cambodia. The Southeast Asian country had turned into a cheap, shabby hotbed for sex tourism in the decades after its notorious genocide and resulting civil unrest. In 2003, IJM launched the first large-scale attempt to fix the Khmer kingdom’s public justice system that allowed pimps and pedophiles to go free.

Read the article here
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Thoughts? Child-sex industry is dwindling, thanks to Christians

Post by kiwiincambodia »

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:34 pm Image
I honestly get more out of reading the comments on articles like this than the article itself. I skim the article, and then focus on the comments! And yes, I know you're taking the piss.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^I always read comments to get people's reactions. That's why I despise news outlets that don't have a comments section.

Anyway, couldn't read the entire story without subscribing. However, I happen to know some people in an anti-trafficking NGO and they're saying the same thing for the most part, trafficking is on the downfall.

It is good news to hear, so hopefully it continues.
-insert signature here
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:
I honestly get more out of reading the comments on articles like this than the article itself. I skim the article, and then focus on the comments! And yes, I know you're taking the piss.
Me? Take the piss? NEVER!!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:42 pm ^^I always read comments to get people's reactions. That's why I despise news outlets that don't have a comments section.

Anyway, couldn't read the entire story without subscribing. However, I happen to know some people in an anti-trafficking NGO and they're saying the same thing for the most part, trafficking is on the downfall.

It is good news to hear, so hopefully it continues.
Interesting. Try this link: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/201 ... IOaUDYprgm
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

That worked for me, thanks.

Quite a well written article and the first thing that stood out to me was how Cambodia wasn't being over held up as a pity country to garner sympathy, yet was accurately portrayed. It gives me hope that some do-gooders in this country have their hearts and minds in the right place.

Hopefully they keep up the fight because any good cause needs warriors to champion their cause.
-insert signature here
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Kate Shellnutt, the writer, was able to see grey-haired foreign men on mopeds cruising Svay Pak in search of young p*ssy.

Anyone seen ANYONE on a moped lately?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

boozyoldman wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:11 pm Kate Shellnutt, the writer, was able to see grey-haired foreign men on mopeds cruising Svay Pak in search of young p*ssy.

Anyone seen ANYONE on a moped lately?
I'm confident that's not the takeaway of the article. But thanks for playing.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 pm
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic