Thoughts? Child-sex industry is dwindling, thanks to Christians

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Thoughts? Child-sex industry is dwindling, thanks to Christians

Post by Duncan »

Sidewalker wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:55 am According the bible, God created human, first Adam then Eva, they got two sons Kain and Abel. But where could find there sons a wife? Because if you take the bible literally, only 4 human on earth!

But how many monkey's.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:34 am There's no mention that Adam and Eve only had Cain and Abel.
And while I don't think detractors are actually looking for a theological debate, there IS mention of other people groups... e.g. the people in the land of Nod, to which Cain fled. Other texts also mention the other children born to Adam and Eve, and some speculate that Cain and Abel were not only fighting over the suitability of a sacrifice, but over a sister.

Edit: Interestingly, it's not only the Christian religion that talks about the children of Adam and Eve, but also Judaism (obviously, as the Pentateuch/Torah is Mosaic) and Islam.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AE86 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:34 am There's no mention that Adam and Eve only had Cain and Abel.
yeah and whats stopping Cain and Able fucking Eve?
no one had ever heard of Incest before, they probably didnt know?
even if God told them, Eve doesnt give a fuck and does what she wants, thats why they got kicked out of Eden in the first place!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Some early German woodcuts featured Cain and Abel treating Eve to
exciting family DP but most of them were tracked down and burned by the Holy Office
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:10 pm
And while I don't think detractors are actually looking for a theological debate, there IS mention of other people groups... e.g. the people in the land of Nod, to which Cain fled. Other texts also mention the other children born to Adam and Eve, and some speculate that Cain and Abel were not only fighting over the suitability of a sacrifice, but over a sister.

Edit: Interestingly, it's not only the Christian religion that talks about the children of Adam and Eve, but also Judaism (obviously, as the Pentateuch/Torah is Mosaic) and Islam.
To be honest, that one has always been a bit of a conundrum to me, if the story is taken literally. I like the idea of taking off to the Land of Nod though, that's brilliant!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:10 pm

To be honest, that one has always been a bit of a conundrum to me, if the story is taken literally. I like the idea of taking off to the Land of Nod though, that's brilliant!
Most sermons I've listened to through my life have taken me straight there, too.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ha! I know exactly what you mean! I've often given them a chance and then ended up dozing. I guess they are like lectures, either they engage people or they just zone out. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

True story, I went to a church one time because a friend invited me but I almost immediately feel asleep during the sermon. About an hour and change later I woke up and found the congregation had finished and left and the next one was coming in. When asked why my friend didn't wake me up, she told me "you looked so peaceful, I didn't want to disturb you."

Apparently I also snored pretty loudly.
-insert signature here
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

The woman who wrote this article, Kate Shellnutt, published another article for Christianity Today in June this year in which she writes "By the end of 1979, only 200 Christians were believed to remain alive in the country."

I'd like to know what her source is for this.

The French demographer Marek Sliwinski wrote in Le Génocide Khmer Rouge that around half of the Roman Catholics in Cambodia survived the Pol Pot regime. That's a lot more than 200. And that's only Catholics.

By saying "By the end of 1979, only 200 Christians were believed to remain alive in the country," does she mean that all the other Christians who had survived the Khmer Rouge regime left the country between January and December 1979?

Or is she a lying cunt?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... mbodia.pdf
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

Great article if you like confirmation bias & correlation being causation.
Take a set of statistics, reverse engineer them to meet your desired outcome & voila.

Same thing is done by each of the tens of the thousands of abrahamic sects to "prove" their interpretation of their version out of several thousand editions of their book is the one true one, translated back & forth from numerous dead languages by the one true god out of thousands.

If you need to read an instruction book to learn what is right & wrong to do to other people you lack empathy.
Doing good deeds because you are commanded to on threat of punishment if you don't is ultimately self serving, not at all charity & when the true desire is to convert others to your sect/cult/clan/team whilst they are in a mentally vulnerable state actually very sinister.

What about including the impact of the phenomenal amount of work Thorn has done in recent years?
https://www.wearethorn.org/

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land."
-Desmond Tutu
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic