Cheap Apartments in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BDT92
Expatriate
United States of America

Cheap Apartments in Phnom Penh?

Post by BDT92 »

I will be moving to Phnom Penh soon and I would like to know if there are any rooms available for rent for $150/month, specifically in the "Chbaa Ampov" area. I'm currently renting a lovely flat in Sihanoukville for only $130/month, but I'm not planning on finding anything as nice in Phnom Penh. I don't need AC, however WIFI is a must. Also, is it possible to find an apartment that doesn't require a one-month payment up front? I don't mind paying a deposit, but putting down one-month's rent on top of that is too much. I've wasted money in Sihanoukville changing buildings due to noisy neighbors keeping me up at night. The room doesn't need to be anything special, just cheap. I work a lot, and travel on the weekends, so I won't have time to use it very much. I'm mainly looking for an apartment, however a guesthouse is plausible as well. Thank you so much for your help!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Cheap Apartments in Phnom Penh?

Post by StroppyChops »

BDT92 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:16 pmI don't mind paying a deposit, but putting down one-month's rent on top of that is too much.
Then, sadly for you, you won't be leasing in Phnom Penh.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
BDT92
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BDT92 »

StroppyChops, just in case I'm misunderstood, I mean that I don't want to put down two deposits. I'm not saying that I don't want to pay my rent.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

BDT92 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:30 pm StroppyChops, just in case I'm misunderstood, I mean that I don't want to put down two deposits. I'm not saying that I don't want to pay my rent.
I think I understood - for clarity, every lease I've ever heard of in Phnom Penh has required one month's rent as deposit, and the first month's rent in advance. Others may have had different experiences, but this is what I've observed.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Just avoid deposit plus 2 months rent.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:
BDT92 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:30 pm StroppyChops, just in case I'm misunderstood, I mean that I don't want to put down two deposits. I'm not saying that I don't want to pay my rent.
I think I understood - for clarity, every lease I've ever heard of in Phnom Penh has required one month's rent as deposit, and the first month's rent in advance. Others may have had different experiences, but this is what I've observed.
Stroppy is right, I've had 6 apartments in 10 years and this has always been the case. One month deposit and one month in advance.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Both places I've had I've used the deposit against my last month's rent and just paid for water/electricity on departure.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 pm Both places I've had I've used the deposit against my last month's rent and just paid for water/electricity on departure.

A landlord would only do that is you had been a good tenant.,,, If you had been a bad tenant and done damage or stolen stuff on departure, how could they deduct money from a deposit that had already been used as a months rent.

In years of me being a land lord I only ever handed back the deposit money after an inspection was done, after the tenant had moved out. Australia has a better system where the '' bond '' is held by a separate government agent and is only released with the landlords approval.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:15 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 pm Both places I've had I've used the deposit against my last month's rent and just paid for water/electricity on departure.

A landlord would only do that is you had been a good tenant.,,, If you had been a bad tenant and done damage or stolen stuff on departure, how could they deduct money from a deposit that had already been used as a months rent.
Well it is me after all, what's not to love :D

Otherwise, it seems that "deposits" in Cambodia are a one way transaction and rarely refunded, so I must be doing something right.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You'll be able to find a decent apartment in that price range in Chbar Ampouv, and as mentioned the deposit is usually 1 months rent (which you normally just use as your last months rent, unless you've damaged the property) and you pay your 1st months rent in advance, as with subsequent months' rent.

Vladimir wrote a great guide to finding affordable apartments, mostly common sense stuff but helpful for newbies, will try and find the link and post for you.

EDIT: Here is the link... https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/housing ... e-t64.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic