Driving from Cambodia to Vietnam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Driving from Cambodia to Vietnam

Post by Jacket »

Hi!
I'm coming back to the Kingdom this November and I figgured I'd quite like to go and take a look at Vietnam this time around. Now,
has anybody here crossed the Vietnamese - Cambodian border with a motorcycle before? If so, I'd like to know your experience.
What are the legalities, etc? I don't fancy going there just to be told to leave my Moto on the Cambodian side and proceed with
pubic transport or anything.
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Driving from Cambodia to Vietnam

Post by StroppyChops »

Keep your eyes open for any of the reasonable number of Viet-registered bikes with blue cards that come up for sale in Cambodia, around $250 - you can drive them into Vietnam, enjoy your holiday, and return to Cambodia to sell them for pretty much what you paid in the first place.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

thanks for the input
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

There's one advertised on https://www.facebook.com/groups/163374284104948/? right now for $350.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

To be legal though, you will need a Vietnamese specific driving permit for riding a motorcycle. It's not hard to get, but if you don't have an endorsement on your original licence in the first place, it is slightly more difficult.

Also, some Honda Win bbikes (nearly all) that are sold off here are total absolute junk and borderline unsafe. People will talk about how reliable and good they've been but beware, there's some very suspect crap out there for sale. I'm stating this as a mechanic, and personally I wouldn't touch a Win with a 10 foot pole and the same goes for Khmer too. Notice Cambodians will ride plateless unregistered Daelims, Dreams, Cubs, etc, but virtually no Cambodians ever buy the Win no matter how cheap even with genuine docs. There's a reason for that.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 1:11 ampersonally I wouldn't touch a Win with a 10 foot pole and the same goes for Khmer too.
Seems harsh. Why wouldn't you touch a Khmer with a 10 foot pole?
dirtymacca
Expatriate
Australia

Post by dirtymacca »

Catch a bus over to HCMC and rent a motorbike from the hotel/guesthouse, saves a lot of hassle, you don't have to pay for repairs and it only would cost about $5.00/day for the bike.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

dirtymacca wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:56 am Catch a bus over to HCMC and rent a motorbike from the hotel/guesthouse, saves a lot of hassle, you don't have to pay for repairs and it only would cost about $5.00/day for the bike.
Mm. But buy and use your own cable lock to avoid the "owner steals it back and charges you replacement costs" scam. Applies in any developing country.
dirtymacca
Expatriate
Australia

Post by dirtymacca »

Sure, good idea, also park in places where you get a ticket/receipt. I live in HCMC, never had any issues with my bikes getting stolen. It is not like PP where there are few bike attendants at many places, here they are everywhere.
oasisbarhatien
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by oasisbarhatien »

Re an earlier post-you do not now need to have a Vietnamese driving licence to drive a motorbike in Vietnam-as long as you have a motorbike licence from your own country,and an IDP(International driving permit) which is really just a translation of your own driving licence)The law changed a couple of years ago
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic