Which documents are needed when buying a land?

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
Ofiryigal
Tourist
Cambodia

Which documents are needed when buying a land?

Post by Ofiryigal »

Hello

I am interested in buying a land, and I can't find here (mondulkiri) local English speakers to help me in this matter.
Which documents and signatures are needed when purchasing a land?
How do I know this land is safe to buy? That it was alreay paid for by the previous owner and that it can be purchased again?
How does the agreement document or contract between the Cambodian citizen and myself should look like?
Is there a sample of this kind of a document?
Is it needed to work with a lawyer for this issue or can it be done alone?

Thank you!
Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Which documents are needed when buying a land?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

What method do you intend to use to purchase the land? You do realise as a foreigner that you cannot own land right?

Here's a basic outline of your options...
How can foreigners buy land in Cambodia through a locally-incorporated company?
This presents the least risk for foreign investors, either individual or a legal person. Multiple pieces of land can be held. However, the costs of creating a landholding company are expensive, with high maintenance costs, and rental income taxes are high. See the Law on the Investment of the Kingdom of Cambodia (Chapter VI, Article 16): “legal entities in which more than 51% of the equity capital are directly owned by natural persons or legal entities holding Cambodian citizenship”. And further: “use of land shall be permitted to investors, including long-term leases of up to a period of 70 years, renewable upon request”. 51% Cambodian ownership is necessary. However, when structured with 2 classes of shares having different rights of control, one class held by foreign investor, one by the local investors, this shareholder dominance is in check. Often, local shareholders are attributed lesser rights to transfer shares or nominate directors, and any major company decisions may require a threshold vote of a 2/3 majority. Generally, private agreements are created in which the Cambodian shareholders grant the foreigner special rights over the land. Also, by registering a mortgage on the land, the land cannot be transferred without the consent of the foreigner. Yet, this method still can fail if the Cambodian partner denies their legal obligations. In Cambodian courts decisions may be brought, and costs are high. Hence, due diligence on any local partner is recommended to limit risks.

How can foreigners buy land in Cambodia? How about Leasing the Land?
Often when people first ask “can foreigners buy land in Cambodia” they are quickly convinced that leasing is a better option. Long-term leases are commonly used by foreigners as a means to control land in Cambodia. And for most foreign business people, long term leases are, for all-exclusive-purposes, as effective as outright ownership. Long term leases allow all necessary rights to develop the land and gain construction permissions. However, leasing structures are ultimately less secure than the company structure described earlier, but progress in being made on their clarification. According to the Land Law, lease lengths are highly flexible. Leases generally last for 50 years, 70 years, or 99 years. Keep in mind that leases lasting longer than 15 years must be registered at the Land Office in order to be valid. If you are trying to lease state owned land, there is a 40 years maximum on leases, with possibilities for extensions. Whenever leasing, do your due diligence and run a full background check on the owner, similarly as you should for any company partnerships. Leasing from the wrong person, who knows the right people in power, could mean your lease becomes very unstable, very quickly. Ensure that the lease contract includes dispute resolution outside Cambodia. However, even if you do this, in practice it may not be as effective as many believe. This is because the majority of land disputes do not involve disputes over the contract itself, rather quasi-legal matters. Cambodian courts have also been known to out rightly refuse to recognize foreign arbitration clauses. These lease contracts might also include a clause requiring the owner to get the lessee’s permission before they may sell, or prevent the owner from selling until the new owner fully-recognizes the preexisting lease. On top of this, a ‘block sale notice’ can be registered with the relevant Land Office, which tells the office to halt any attempts to sell the land without the lease owners’ preceding permission. Some further issues present themselves, and the lease law remains somewhat unclear. Firstly, regulation surrounding ownership over buildings at the close of the lease is uncertain. Floors above the ground floor of buildings belong to the lessee, who can then register titles for these floors. But, as the owner of the 1st floor also owns the land according to the Land Law, at the closure of the lease the owner of the land will also own this building. Yet, in contradiction of this, the Law on Investment, which essentially covers companies registering for tax incentives, the buildings are held to be owned by the lessor. Nevertheless, the Government has become proactive on these issues of late, which is increasingly clarifying these uncertainties. Another problem once existed as leases are currently un-recordable at the Land Registry office, however, this issue is also under reform. For clarity on all of these issues and more, it is highly recommended to enlist experience legal support whenever considering a lease in Cambodia as a foreigner.

Can foreigners buy land in Cambodia with Cambodian citizenship?
Yes. The Government considers citizenship applications from foreigners when a significant investment is being made in Cambodia. The Ministry of the Interior, the Council of Ministers, and the President, all must agree to the grant of Citizenship – so you need to be a very serious and major investor to gain citizenship.

Can foreigners buy land in Cambodia through a Nominee Purchase?
Buying in a local’s name is very easy and is the most in-expensive means of controlling Cambodian land. But, by doing so, you will be ignoring the Constitutional prohibition on direct ownership of property by foreigners. Therefore it is illegal and strongly discouraged by legal support in Cambodia. In short, to buy through a nominee structure, the investor signs a trust agreement with the land holder guaranteeing to hold the land on their behalf. The owner then mortgages that land and leases it to the foreigner. If things don’t go to plan, a foreigner can easily face expropriation by the state, or be forced to sell the land.

https://www.realestate.com.kh/news/can- ... -cambodia/
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Many provincial Sangkat officials tasked with issuing titles have no idea of the legal status of foreign ownership and will quite happily issue a title with 100% foreign ownership.
Be advised, such titles are unlawful and invalid.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:59 am Many provincial Sangkat officials tasked with issuing titles have no idea of the legal status of foreign ownership and will quite happily issue a title with 100% foreign ownership.
Be advised, such titles are unlawful and invalid.
Yea, it does happen, although it will only be a soft-title as Sangkats do not have anything to do with issuing hard-titles, personally I have stopped purchasing land that doesn't have a hard-title now. OP, do your homework and conduct due-diligence before proceeding with any purchase.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, that was my meaning.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

if you are asking these questions you should not be buying any land to begin with
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Ofiryigal
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Ofiryigal »

Thank you for your comments.

I found a land and some local people to help me translate.
I found a local who is willing to purchase the land on his name.
The qustion is, how do i create a trust agreement? How does it look like?

Another thing is that this land of 3 hectares is in the jungle.
Im looking for people who can clean the land for me, and some locals told me that it costs around 1000 dollars per hectare.
Is it too much? What do you know in this matter?

Another question is,
Can the builders in cambodia follow instructions, like how I want the house to look like, or is it better to let them do the job and copy from a house that was already built, by them or by someone else?

Another question is,
If I want locals from another province to live in my land and help me sustain it, how do I do that? Do you have any idea?

Thank you!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I'm sorry to say, but you sound extremely clueless. I would suggest consulting a professional, Independent Property Services offer free advice and can assist you with all of the legalities for a fee.

I have a feeling the next thread you start may be about the land you purchased being sold by your nominee
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Agreed. Not sure what you intend to do with the land, but you sound totally clueless and in over your head. Doesn't sound too professional (hopefully you're a professional farmer or something). A fool and his money are soon parted and all that. I personally wouldn't use IPS. Overpriced for anything but the so called "free advice", and land isn't really their specialty imo, but definitely go visit an established real estate agency to help you through the process or you'll be swindled in no time at all.

Also, this is a bit of a personal request, but please don't clear additional land. The forest cover has already decreased 70% or so, I find it extremely irresponsible for a foreigner to come along and further contribute to deforestation. Just buy land which is already cleared. Plenty of it around for a good price.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ofiryigal
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Ofiryigal »

Hello again,
Thank you for the feedback.

Do you have or know where I can find a sample (in english and khmer) of a trust agreement between the nominee and the foreigner?

Do you have or know where i can find a sample (in english and khmer) of a contract between the previous land owner and the new land owner(The foreigner)?
A contract about the exchange of ownership, payment, size, and the legalization to use the land.

Did anyone work with "one window service" about the legalization of land documents and authorization or confirmation to build, clean and grow in the land?
What is your experience? How much do they charge for checking the documents?

Thank you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic