Money can't buy me love

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Money can't buy me love

Post by juansweetpotato »

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/second/hu ... ts-130441/
HE Goes on another Tirade Against Opponents at Christian meeting.
“If you look at the psychology, when you talk about war, you can define war when warring armed factions have conflict with one another,” Mr. Nee said.

“My question is, why does HE raise the war so often? Maybe he learned that not the whole army are loyal to him,” he said.

“How could a war start if the army will not be divided?”
Or maybe he knows just how many guns are in private hands.

Last edited by juansweetpotato on Fri May 26, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Money can't buy me love

Post by Luigi »

“Of course the people don’t want war. But after all, it’s the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it’s always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it’s a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.”

— Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
:popcorn: :beer3:
jeff59
Tourist
United States of America

Post by jeff59 »

Where I live the per gun per person is about 5 ---for people 12-30 and about 10 guns per person over 30---due to inheritance and deeper pockets--
Ammo is the real issue---
obama and the dems put a real scare in the law abiding non-felons and ammo became very scarce for about a year---as people were buying thousands of rounds and stockpiling it--and every weapon they could afford-
obama sold a lot of guns during his 8 years of spying and playing golf---and talking like a little bitch--
in your liberal coastal regions mostly just the criminals have guns and the citizens are helpless---
When the bad guy has an AR15--your glock 9mm does not do you much good---
This is why the NRA revised its assault rifle stance a few years ago---

As Moses said aka Chuck Heston---You can have my gun when you pry my dead fingers from it---

dangerous world-
especially--- if you are unarmed and expect the police force and government to protect you---
I must say---I have felt safer in Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Argentina, Thailand than I would in most major US cities now---

I live where conceal and carry is a non-issue---Law abiding folks can carry open or concealed without any paperwork--
Of course, Marshall Dillon just got Dodge City cleaned up a few years ago and Quantrill's Raiders have all retired to greener pastures---

I think people don't need guns to go to war---They need an all consuming purpose---
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

There really aren't many privately owned guns in Cambodia. They pull those stats out of their asses.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 8:01 am There really aren't many privately owned guns in Cambodia. They pull those stats out of their asses.
Seeing as guns and amunition used to be sold in the markets along with grenades etc not so very long ago, how can you justify that statement? Is it because you have never seen any?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

juansweetpotato wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 8:01 am There really aren't many privately owned guns in Cambodia. They pull those stats out of their asses.
Seeing as guns and amunition used to be sold in the markets along with grenades etc not so very long ago, how can you justify that statement? Is it because you have never seen any?

I'm calling that BULLSHIT. if you are referring to Cambodia in the last 20 plus years.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

juansweetpotato wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am https://www.cambodiadaily.com/second/hu ... ts-130441/
HE Goes on another Tirade Against Opponents at Christian meeting.
It is the same as the question why is there so much evil? Well, simply because all of that is probably the lesser evil.
You do not have to like prime minister HE to vote for him. You just have to sufficiently dislike the alternatives.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Duncan wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:46 am
juansweetpotato wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am

I'm calling that BULLSHIT. if you are referring to Cambodia in the last 20 plus years.
Try 16 years ago and ypu may well be correct. That's if they stopped at the same time as the article was published and handed in all their weapons. What do you think are the chances of that?

PPP 2001
http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/wea ... tel-blasts
With some simple negotiating, an AK-47 assault rifle can be had for $40 plus 500

riel for each round of ammunition. Hand grenades cost between $5 and $10 each, while

estimates for a handgun range between $100 and $1000 depending on quality

Other estimates produced by the Working Group for Weapons Reduction in Cambodia (WGWR)

puts the cost of an average handgun at around $120. For the more ambitious, or completely

psychotic, a rocket launcher can be purchased for as little as $32 in Phnom Penh;

prices in the countryside are even lower.

More than 112,000 weapons have been removed from circulation since the Cambodian

government began a strategy of weapons reduction in 1998. However that is still believed

to be only between 10% and 20% of the number of weapons estimated to be in circulation

when the project began.

Of particular concern to WGWR is the fact that only half of those weapons collected

have so far been destroyed, while the rest remain stored in government warehouses
Can you give me the reason why those guns aren't still out there?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I'm calling that BULLSHIT. if you are referring to Cambodia in the last 20 plus years."

Sorry but as far back as 1996, I was offered an assortment of weapons at Psar Teuk Tlaa. They were sold from a closed building near the entrance to that market and run by the female relatives of the soldiers who brought them there
jnside were rows and rows of AK 47s, hand grenades, landmines, pistols, and small rocket launchers, plus ammo galore. Not sensing either the need nor the wisdom of buying the weapon of my choice I didn't enquire about price, but I'm certain it was a buyer's market.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

juansweetpotato wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 1:02 pmCan you give me the reason why those guns aren't still out there?
The govt doesn't want them out there.

Back in 2000, frequent roadblocks/ searches. I remember them clearly, because I was finishing work at 8:30 pm and almost every night...roadblock..oh, barang, carry on...

In addition, having to explain the find to the police/MPs...perhaps not an enjoyable experience.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic