Airline tax to clean-up Cambodia ?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Airline tax to clean-up Cambodia ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The government is looking at ways to tackle Cambodia’s waste problem with a $1 charge on airline tickets touted to raise the cash.

The move comes after footage emerged showing the capital’s canals remain clogged with rubbish a year after video of the pollution was shown around the world.
More damning evidence of waste mishandling surfaced during the Water Festival, with a video of street-cleaning contractors sweeping rubbish into the Tonle Sap river.

Now, the Environment Ministry wants to take $1 from every air ticket bought in Cambodia to go towards maintaining the environment.
Environment Minister Say Samal said income generated will help to reduce the burden on the government.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/38619/ ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Airline tax to clean-up Cambodia ?

Post by StroppyChops »

Yep, because all the people who fly into and out of Cambodia are the ones polluting the water streams, and that should teach them a lesson. </sarcasm>
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Unless you are paying a dollar to go down the Sap and scoop some shite out yourself I fail to see how this will fix things. Given the aforementioned habit of cleaning crews just to chuck it in the river themselves. Surely some sort of scoop and people to wield it is the solution.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's so ridiculous, and won't do anything to alleviate the issue. How about doing something like they did in Thailand in the 1950s, where the King led a campaign to inspire the citizens to take a bit of care about their surroundings?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Exactly. I saw this article on Facebook last night and laughed out loud. Some of the ideas these ministries come up with are so ludicrous it reminds you that many aren't exactly educated or have much experience in their respective ministries. It always makes me laugh when they put up signs in English at places like Teuk Chou in Kampot or Busra in Mondulkiri. As if foreign tourists were responsible for the littering problem (well maybe having a sign in Chinese wouldn't hurt). Even if they clean it up it'll never stop until they launch a proper country-wide education campaign like John says. Collecting a dollar per flight sounds more like a Range Rover fund than anything that aims at seriously tackling the core issues. You'd think with the insane import taxes currently in place they'd have enough money in the coffers to address the issue...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Well at least they are not copying the rules in our western countries where extra money is collected by a extra tax on ciggies .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

how about a 10% tax on water bottles and anything sold in Plastic as 99% of them end upon the street, in the canals
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think the tax on plastic had already been implemented as of Jan 1st. No small bags and minimum thickness.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ricefarmersdaughter »

if they keep putting the price up nobody will go.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

An observation.

Just returned from a weeks get-away in Kuala Lumpur, a city of 2 mil. give or take.
I was truly amazed at how clean & well kept the city as a whole was. I took 3 drive around tours over 3 days. Green spaces everywhere, excellent road system, excellent public transit system.
But what struck me most was the cleanliness of everything everwhere we looked. What a contrast to anywhere Cambodia. The last afternoon as
I sat in a coffee stop watching the world pass by a small child of 8-9-10 threw a tissue on the ground while crossing the street. Immediately her guardian made her retrieve & place in trash receptacle. It struck me then that the problem is the majority of Cambodian's do not see it as a problem. Until that changes nothing will.

Wasn't until we were in cab to SHV I realized what a shit hole this place really is.

Also I would like to add that was our first visit to a predominately Muslim nation. You would have to look far & wide to find a more generous, kind & helpful non judgemental people. Everywhere we went we were met with smiles & anytime I asked for directions or help in anyway we were treated warmly.
Am currently re-thinking a few mass media induced prejudices. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic