Airline tax to clean-up Cambodia ?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Airline tax to clean-up Cambodia ?

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 am how about a 10% tax on water bottles and anything sold in Plastic as 99% of them end upon the street, in the canals

Or riverside . The new bit , southern end.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Yeah, but when the tide comes in they'll all float down to Vietnam.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Luigi wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm An observation.

Just returned from a weeks get-away in Kuala Lumpur, a city of 2 mil. give or take.
I was truly amazed at how clean & well kept the city as a whole was. I took 3 drive around tours over 3 days. Green spaces everywhere, excellent road system, excellent public transit system.
But what struck me most was the cleanliness of everything everwhere we looked. What a contrast to anywhere Cambodia. The last afternoon as
I sat in a coffee stop watching the world pass by a small child of 8-9-10 threw a tissue on the ground while crossing the street. Immediately her guardian made her retrieve & place in trash receptacle. It struck me then that the problem is the majority of Cambodian's do not see it as a problem. Until that changes nothing will.

Wasn't until we were in cab to SHV I realized what a shit hole this place really is.
I was in China about 5 years ago, I kid you not, they had people washing the trees. Literally washing the leaves on the trees.
Luigi wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm
Also I would like to add that was our first visit to a predominately Muslim nation. You would have to look far & wide to find a more generous, kind & helpful non judgemental people. Everywhere we went we were met with smiles & anytime I asked for directions or help in anyway we were treated warmly.
Am currently re-thinking a few mass media induced prejudices. :hattip:
Should be noted that KL is only recently a predominantly Muslim nation - up to around 10 years ago it was evenly divided between Muslims, Christians and Hindus living in near perfect harmony, even sharing each other's public holidays and celebrations. And then external Islamic forces decided that should change, and changed it by "stacking" neighbourhoods (by introducing new family members from other countries) one after the other and voting in changes. They are certainly not the only religion to do this, but this is what happened in KL. The point being that the wonders of which you speak are carry-overs from earlier times, and certainly not a result of now being an Islamic state.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

" I kid you not, they had people washing the trees. Literally washing the leaves on the trees."

Doesn't everybody ?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:38 pm " I kid you not, they had people washing the trees. Literally washing the leaves on the trees."

Doesn't everybody ?
:D They had work teams out on the major roads with tall ladders and pressure cleaners, and were pressure cleaning the leaves and branches of the trees. Another team would come along and clean up the leaf-fall, and then a third team would come along and pressure clean the ground around the trees. I think it was a "create busy work" initiative - would have made a great video, otherwise difficult to believe.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

In my town in Queensland they use floor scrubber type machines to pressure wash and scrub the paving on the waterside. There is a massive free salt water swimming pool and many free stainless steel BBQs. Chinese tourists are amazed at the cleanliness.
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 am how about a 10% tax on water bottles and anything sold in Plastic as 99% of them end upon the street, in the canals
25 Cents deposit on water bottles. That worked reasonably well in Europe.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I recently visited the Erawan National Park in Thailand. You can walk up the mountain/forest to various stages of waterfall, a total of 1.5 Km up, then the same back down. It was a nice walk and highly recommended. There was NO TRASH anywhere!!
Why? Because when you get to a certain point the National Park police won't allow any plastic bags, polystyrene containers, or water bottles. If you want to take your water bottle, you have to pay a 20 baht deposit. You get a ticket and a number marked on your bottle. You get your money back when you bring it back down.
That seems to work well for them.

As for cleaning up Cambodia, I still vote for a 'Clean Up Cambodia Day'. It worked wonders in Oz. Community effort, schools and clubs, etc get involved. At the same time, educate the locals. Start with the kids. [My kids are forever dropping litter when outside, and forever getting a bollocking from me. They tell me that it doesn't matter because everyone else does it].
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The tax is at the airport because elections are coming up.

Only relatively wealthy Khmers and barangs will be affected. $1 is nothing to these people, and some confused hipster from Michigan here for the yoga /meditation classes will get a warm fuzzy feeling

Start charging for plastic bags at markets, 7-11s and supermarkets
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic