How many days must I wait before I can get a 1 year extension on a 30 day regular visa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jeff59
Tourist
United States of America

How many days must I wait before I can get a 1 year extension on a 30 day regular visa?

Post by jeff59 »

Hello,
I am coming to Cambodia from Thailand in early August and will get a 30 day regular visa. I want to know how many days must I wait before I can file for a 1 year extension? I keep reading "just before the 30 days expires".
My plan is to fly into PP and get a regular 30 day visa. I need to know the soonest I can get a travel agent to extend my visa 1 year---
I was hoping get the 1 year extension AND a 60 day visa back to Thailand while doing a recon mission to SKV to look for an apartment to rent for 6 months at least.
Do I need a 6 month to 1 year visa to rent an apartment?
Do I need a lease to get a bank account at Canadia Bank? The web site did not mention a lease.
I would like to rent an apartment in August and have it waiting for me when I return from a short trip back to the US with my 1 year visa in hand.
thanks for your help,
jeff
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: How many days must I wait before I can get a 1 year extension on a 30 day regular visa?

Post by Hotdigr »

jeff59 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 6:31 am Hello,
I am coming to Cambodia from Thailand in early August and will get a 30 day regular visa. I want to know how many days must I wait before I can file for a 1 year extension? I keep reading "just before the 30 days expires".
My plan is to fly into PP and get a regular 30 day visa. I need to know the soonest I can get a travel agent to extend my visa 1 year---
I was hoping get the 1 year extension AND a 60 day visa back to Thailand while doing a recon mission to SKV to look for an apartment to rent for 6 months at least.
Do I need a 6 month to 1 year visa to rent an apartment?
Do I need a lease to get a bank account at Canadia Bank? The web site did not mention a lease.
I would like to rent an apartment in August and have it waiting for me when I return from a short trip back to the US with my 1 year visa in hand.
thanks for your help,
jeff
AFAIK, you can turn around the day you get your visa and apply straight away for your 1 year extension. Last year I mistakenly put my visa in a month early and was credited with the full extension, ie: I put it in mistakenly in April when it wasn't due until May and was credited until May this year ( its in now for the next extension!)
As for the bank account, don't know about Canadia, but just opened an ABA account and needed nothing more then my passport and valid visa( which at that stage had only 3 weeks validity left) and the address of the apartment. No problem, walked out 45 mins later with an account.
jeff59
Tourist
United States of America

Re: How many days must I wait before I can get a 1 year extension on a 30 day regular visa?

Post by jeff59 »

thanks so much for your help-- i was hoping this was the case---
I owe you a beer when i make it over--
jeff
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Some visa agents in PP say you can't renew before 7 days prior to your visa expiration date, but I've renewed visas >7 days before expiry. If one agent says no can do, try another.

Shouldn't be any reason why you can't get both an extension and the thai visa. Just tell them you want both and they'll do both. Usual turnaround from the agents I've used in PP is 24 hours for KH extensions. Same for Thai and VN visas.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

".....get a 30 day regular visa"....
u dont want to apply for a regular 30 day visa you want a 30 day ORDINARY visa ( u will know its the right one as u'll pay $35...

Apply the next day or next week for extension,up to you.
...60 day visa back to Thailand...
You can get this via an agent next day delivery is around $55 ( ie one night only) in PP
if ur in Snooky just ask at Ana travel to do ur thai visa an Cambodian extension.
The thai visa will take 3 days

IF ur over 50 get the ER extension and not have to worry about a wp later(unless u plan on working)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

you can extend your visa the day after arriving if you want, and they will add the remaining days on to your visa, you will get basically a 13month visa

to rent your apartment you usually need photocopies of your passport id page and valid visa, i think so they can enlist you at the sangkat as a resident to the area

to open a bank i needed passport and apartment address, i didnt know mine so i just took my apartment papers and they took the address from there
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am you can extend your visa the day after arriving if you want, and they will add the remaining days on to your visa, you will get basically a 13month visa
Except the initial 30 days is only single entry, if even after extending it, if you were to leave and try to re-enter in those first 30 days they would be right to deny you entry on it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am you can extend your visa the day after arriving if you want, and they will add the remaining days on to your visa, you will get basically a 13month visa
Except the initial 30 days is only single entry, if even after extending it, if you were to leave and try to re-enter in those first 30 days they would be right to deny you entry on it.
not true, the visa extension starts at the issue date, not at the end of your previous visa, hence why i say you would basically get a 13month visa,
i extended mine around 2 weeks after entering, i then went to Vietnam within the 30 days and returned still within the 30 days and i had no problems
Image Image Image

my original visa would have run out on the 21st, but i went to vietnam and came back on the 20th no problem
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
jeff59
Tourist
United States of America

Post by jeff59 »

Thanks so much for everyone's input.
I was planning on getting the 1 year extension in PP before heading down to SKV is I could.
My plan B was to get to SKV asap and hang out until I could get the 1 year extension---
I will try in PP upon arrival and see how it goes--
Thanks again--I am so glad I found this great Expat online site--
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:25 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 pm
not true, the visa extension starts at the issue date, not at the end of your previous visa, hence why i say you would basically get a 13month visa,
i extended mine around 2 weeks after entering, i then went to Vietnam within the 30 days and returned still within the 30 days and i had no problems

my original visa would have run out on the 21st, but i went to vietnam and came back on the 20th no problem
Oh that's interesting, I don't think they backdated mine like that. I'd have to check, passport's locked in the safe.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic