AirBlade with no Plates

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: AirBlade with no Plates

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You bought a stolen bike. No card or plate for $800 was a bit high unless it was a recent model. No problem though, just sell cheap and live with the fact that you CAN'T get it registered and cops can't take it away from you if they feel like it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That's just a bill of sale. You can't register it for sure. It looks nice though. Forget trying to register it. Those papers you have are worthless.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^This. That is not official paperwork (i.e. Import tax), just some handwritten receipts.

I think what you did was bought an untaxed bike vs. stolen, because stolen bikes don't have people putting finger prints on them. Probably what this is, is a bike that was brought in from Thailand but tax wasn't paid on it. Some small dealers do this to avoid having to pay for all the import slips out of pocket, and by giving a bill of sale to the buyer, it absolves them of responsibility should the bike never be taxed in the future.

If that's the case, try going to an office of transportation (forget the exact name) or go back to the shop it was purchased from and ask if they'll be the fixer for you in getting the tax paid. Then after a month or so, you can get your plates after the import tax is processed.

The whole process cost me about $450 including what I paid the fixer, it included plates, tax, and everything without me actually having to do any work.
-insert signature here
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AE86 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 am If you don't have the import tax or original import form (very obvious if you do), then the guy sold it to you as a "black market" bike which means it was either illegally brought in the country, stolen and had it's plates removed, or the original owner somehow managed to lose the import tax form just after they'd bought it and never bothered to try and register it the entire time they had the ike.

In short, there's no way for you to register it without paying the import tax, and that's provided the bike isn't stolen. Tax on a new Air Blade is around $400 (just bought one a month? ago so it's fresh in my mind).

I think someone passed on a hot potato to you.
as said, was speaking to a number of khmer guys who rent/sell motos, when the new license plate laws came in couple of years ago, you could buy the bikes (airblades) pretty cheap, but if you wanted them plated you would have to pay an extra $3/400 in order to get them plated, my mate who rents bikes his prices went up after he got all his bikes plated (guessing to subsidise the costs)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

just ride it without plates, or buy some fake plates for like 10/20$ to keep the cops quiet
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

I am about 95% sure it wasn't stolen. I think what AE86 said is probably more accurate. The bike is 2015 with 12000 kms, and runs flawlessly. Interesting to note that the guy I bought it from two weeks later posted another airblade (exact same, different color) for around the same price. My intuition tells me He is buying the bikes from a place that AE86 mentioned for I dunno $650-$750 and trying to turn a small profit. Its not like their was anything overwhlemingly shady about this guy. Ive been to His house and He has been quite helpful otherwise. I just wish I knew what was going on. Does this make sense.

What would you guys do in my situation. Pay the $450, sell the bike for a little less than I bought it (which I would feel bad about, unless they were ok with the situation). I just don't want to put someone in the same position that I am in now. Or should I take it apart and wear the pieces and pretend I am a transformer.

What do SV cops do when they pull over bikes without plates? (can a small bribe get me off the hook). Or am I rolling the dice here.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kyleincambo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm I am about 95% sure it wasn't stolen. I think what AE86 said is probably more accurate. The bike is 2015 with 12000 kms, and runs flawlessly. Interesting to note that the guy I bought it from two weeks later posted another airblade (exact same, different color) for around the same price. My intuition tells me He is buying the bikes from a place that AE86 mentioned for I dunno $650-$750 and trying to turn a small profit. Its not like their was anything overwhlemingly shady about this guy. Ive been to His house and He has been quite helpful otherwise. I just wish I knew what was going on. Does this make sense.

What would you guys do in my situation. Pay the $450, sell the bike for a little less than I bought it (which I would feel bad about, unless they were ok with the situation). I just don't want to put someone in the same position that I am in now. Or should I take it apart and wear the pieces and pretend I am a transformer.

What do SV cops do when they pull over bikes without plates? (can a small bribe get me off the hook). Or am I rolling the dice here.
there are a shit tonne of bikes without plates in SHV, in December i was riding around on a 2016 brand new airblade with no plates didnt get stopped once, most of the rented bikes in SHV dont have plates, if the coppers pull you over just say youre renting the bike, they are more likely to question you about having a license than the plates
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

If you want it legal, the import tax is the only way. It might be cheaper for you, it depends, my family just did a 17' Air Blade which was $520? ish so I'm guessing on the price. I don't know about the cops though, I live in Phnom Penh.

However, I do recommend that you stop making character judgments on people as you seem like way too nice and naive of a guy to be doing "business". Cambodia is absolutely the wrong place for nice and trusting people and you'll get eaten alive very soon.
-insert signature here
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

AE86 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 pm
However, I do recommend that you stop making character judgments on people as you seem like way too nice and naive of a guy to be doing "business". Cambodia is absolutely the wrong place for nice and trusting people and you'll get eaten alive very soon.

Thanks for your concern, but I disagree. Are you suggesting Cambodia needs more scumbags doing business. I wholeheartedly believe when you do business with high integrity and with others as your focus instead of the capitol, success depends on the hard work put in to it. Maybe I am naive, but maybe not. After 14 years of drug and alcohol abuse, 3 rehab stints, and now 6 years of sobriety I like to think I have an idea how the world works to some extent.

You are right though, I have no right to judge others. That was a mistake.

Thanks though, you have given me more motivation.

By the way do you want to buy a 2015 Honda Airblade for $700?
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

kyleincambo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm
AE86 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks for your concern, but I disagree. Are you suggesting Cambodia needs more scumbags doing business. I wholeheartedly believe when you do business with high integrity and with others as your focus instead of the capitol, success depends on the hard work put in to it. Maybe I am naive, but maybe not. After 14 years of drug and alcohol abuse, 3 rehab stints, and now 6 years of sobriety I like to think I have an idea how the world works to some extent.

You are right though, I have no right to judge others. That was a mistake.

Thanks though, you have given me more motivation.

By the way do you want to buy a 2015 Honda Airblade for $700?
Just to be clear, I'm not saying things in an attacking way (if you construed it that way), I'm just trying to give you caution when dealing with people and assuming that things will "be okay" if you hold to some ideals. I'm not saying you don't have a right to judge people, I believe you have every right to judge anyone for your own safety. That's why I was making that suggestion, because you're afraid of putting people into the predicament you're in, yet you're saying the guy who put you into that same situation is an alright guy. Maybe he meant to, maybe not, but you got the short end of the stick here, or at the very least was taken care of poorly by someone who was either devious or ill informed.

I've been in business for 12 years (yes, I did start when I was 19), 7 of which were in Cambodia and I'm here to tell you that as of now, you have to be ruthless and somewhat amoral to simply survive here. It's not about attracting the right customers, it's more about fighting off the sharks who don't hold to you standards. Kind of like agreeing to a sword fight and the enemy brings a gun, it happens all the time here, so there's a lot of 4d chess that has to be played to make it. Western business people almost never succeed in Asia because they hold too much to ideology rather than focusing on results, and the Asians know that and use it to topple them over like a jenga tower.

I know you've conquered a few things (and not belittling you) it's a genuine accomplishment and I applaud you for that. I lost my uncle to alcohol addiction a few years ago and my brother is struggling with meth, so believe me when I say I understand. I believe you're a decent person too, but be careful. Personal strength vs. others taking advantage of you, and over here there's enough dangerous Cambodians in this country to make it extremely hazardous for ideologs to make it without getting completely walked over.

kyleincambo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm By the way do you want to buy a 2015 Honda Airblade for $700?
Thanks but no thanks. Just added another bike to my already retarded collection :)
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic