Anchor beer

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anchor beer

Post by iluvu »

So anchor is my beer of choice, last time I was here it was all I drank really. My question is, what happened to the Cambodian cans? Last time I was here I always bought the cans from Singapore and it was like a dollar more for a case. I'm not complaining or anything, 50k for a case of beer is great.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Anchor beer

Post by Luigi »

Plenty of Cambodia in cans at my store on Vic Hill & only $10.50 per. :beer1:
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

No no no, there used to be anchor beers that were made in Cambodia. I would never drink Cambodia, JK I would lol.
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ricefarmersdaughter »

Anchor from a small bottle is grade A+
creme de la creme of khmer beer.

singapore anchor is grade A beer for Cambodia.

canned Cambodia beer is watered down but bearable.

Angkor is the worst but ill drink it if its 0.75$ or under.

ganzberg does not count as beer.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

for me Anchor is the worst beer here and only drink it at weddings and brithdays if thats the beer theyve gone for, my beer of choice goes as follows
Cambodia
Angkor
Klang
Ganzberg
Anchor

given the choice, ABC would beat them all though
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:37 pm for me Anchor is the worst beer here and only drink it at weddings and brithdays if thats the beer theyve gone for, my beer of choice goes as follows
Cambodia
Angkor
Klang
Ganzberg
Anchor

given the choice, ABC would beat them all though
[edit] reason being its far too smooth, after a few cans, and when drinking it with ice, makes me gag, i much prefer a stronger tasting beer, back in England i grew up drinking Stella, in Thailand i love drinking Chang, although they keep making that weaker and weaker now :shock:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I don't really get on with anchor, it's that gassy smooth thing, not like a real Pilsner, such as Urkell. Reminds me a bit of Boddingtons, and that cream-flow shit from the 90s. I'm a bitter drinker but not these stupid new IPA super hopped fruit bullshit things, a nice fuggles and goldings mix. The Angkor stout is pretty good. I'll generally drink Angkor. But only ice cold.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"for me Anchor is the worst beer here and only drink it at weddings and brithdays if thats the beer theyve gone for, my beer of choice goes as follows
Cambodia
Angkor
Klang
Ganzberg
Anchor"

I notice that a beer usually touted by foreigners, I.e. Beer Lao does not appear on your list. Have you never drunk it or do you not care for it? As for the the others I prefer Angkor-no fucking ice please.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The joke about beer lao when I was in Vientenne was every bottle was a new flavour. They seem to have ironed out the consistency problems since then. It's a decent lager. They have Leo too. The Carlsberg option. Wet and cold, sober enough to drive.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 2:28 pm "for me Anchor is the worst beer here and only drink it at weddings and brithdays if thats the beer theyve gone for, my beer of choice goes as follows
Cambodia
Angkor
Klang
Ganzberg
Anchor"

I notice that a beer usually touted by foreigners, I.e. Beer Lao does not appear on your list. Have you never drunk it or do you not care for it? As for the the others I prefer Angkor-no fucking ice please.
spent a month traveling laos, never acquired a taste for it and dont understand the hype, its too smooth, and goes flat too quick when drinking out the big bottles,
if i was adding other local country beers in my list would look more something like this

Chang
ABC
Cambodia
Angkor Extra Stout
Angkor
Tiger
Asahi
Klang
Singha
Ganzberg
Saigon Red
Anchor