Tourist Ripped Off For Over $400 At Candy Bar On Street 136 in Phnom Penh; Bar Girls Laugh at Him

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Tourist Ripped Off For Over $400 At Candy Bar On Street 136 in Phnom Penh; Bar Girls Laugh at Him

Post by pczz »

AE86 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 am I can not for the life of me understand why men keep going to bars like this.
Its the only way they can find someone to drink with them and get laid
LatinGemini
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Tourist Ripped Off For Over $400 At Candy Bar On Street 136 in Phnom Penh; Bar Girls Laugh at Him

Post by LatinGemini »

I went to a club in Luang Prabang. It had a neighborhood feel to it. Mostly locals with a few Westerners. People danced to songs in Lao w/ a traditional rhythm. People danced in groups like line dancing except we were in circles. A fun experience and polar opposite from Bangkok. A group of local guys invited me to sit at their table. I bought a few rounds of beer and local "whiskey" and paid. After a while, a local woman sat next to me. I knew the game. I got up and moved to the other side of the table. I made no contact with her and bought her no drinks. She continued to sit there. I got up to leave but was stopped by the bouncer. Fortunately smaller than me. He gave a bar bill for the woman. I don't recall how much, but more than what I had in my wallet. I refused and was taken to the back room where I met the "owner". His English was good. We argued a bit, but politely. He reduced the bar bill several times. I refused to pay each time. Eventually, he told me to get out and I left without paying. I think what helped was my military appearance at the time and I had no contact with this woman. Lesson: don't speak to women you can't afford.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

LatinGemini wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:05 am I went to a club in Luang Prabang. It had a neighborhood feel to it. Mostly locals with a few Westerners. People danced to songs in Lao w/ a traditional rhythm. People danced in groups like line dancing except we were in circles. A fun experience and polar opposite from Bangkok. A group of local guys invited me to sit at their table. I bought a few rounds of beer and local "whiskey" and paid. After a while, a local woman sat next to me. I knew the game. I got up and moved to the other side of the table. I made no contact with her and bought her no drinks. She continued to sit there. I got up to leave but was stopped by the bouncer. Fortunately smaller than me. He gave a bar bill for the woman. I don't recall how much, but more than what I had in my wallet. I refused and was taken to the back room where I met the "owner". His English was good. We argued a bit, but politely. He reduced the bar bill several times. I refused to pay each time. Eventually, he told me to get out and I left without paying. I think what helped was my military appearance at the time and I had no contact with this woman. Lesson: don't speak to women you can't afford.
How do you know if can afford or not ? :shock:
Don't forget the water buffalo
LatinGemini
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LatinGemini »

How do you know if can afford or not ? :shock:
[/quote]

What's the saying: if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

pczz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:24 pm
AE86 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 am I can not for the life of me understand why men keep going to bars like this.
Its the only way they can find someone to drink with them and get laid
nah.

its a bit of fun when one has extra money.
dk_mrniceguy
Tourist
Denmark

Post by dk_mrniceguy »

did he pay the bill? :facepalm:
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

The bill was 404? Ha ha.

Camouflage.
One can slowly get shit-faced while John Thomas gets a massage and digits are exercised, then puke in the corner, piss oneself, and slump over the bar until morning.

And one fits right in!

It's an escape from the usual round of board meetings and jet-setting.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
ramzchillin
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by ramzchillin »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:37 pm Doesn't even sound like a free bar fine out of the deal. Sad.

To be fair, it sounds like he was drunk as shit, and maybe he said "sure" when she asked him "wanna buy a round for me and my friends?"
was thinking about the same stuff too and he has the right not to pay the booze that he didnt consume...
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

First time in Cambodia i went to Candy bar, sat down outside, immediately was approached by 4 girls asking to buy them drink because one of them was celebrating her birthday, i told them off, the manager realized this and tried to verify their story but of course i am not that stupid, right afterwards 2 barangs walked in and they tried the same thing as they did with me, it worked, they sat next to me and at one time there was 10 girls drinking with them, i felt uncomfortable, from there i paid each drink separately and enjoyed watching them as they squeeze more drinks from the two poor guys. from then i decided to never go again but one of my friends who was with me in a later trip insisted to go there as he knew some girl who use to date his friend, we went there the girl my friend knew was with Korean customer although she already told him that she will sit with him and talk about his friend who passed away few months ago, she saw us and came over, she told him that she is busy with customer but will be back in 10 minutes, meanwhile you can talk to my friend she said, 3 girls popped up while she stepped back to her customer, my friend was really angry and decided to go over there and tell her off, as we were discussing she came back ordered a drink without permission also ordered for her friend and started drinking going back and forth between us and her customers, when the bill arrived i paid for me and my friend and told them that she ordered by her self, let her pay, the manager argued but she saw that we never ordered a drinks for them. good riddance, never again.
Cat playing her favorite game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7_GRm4xR8
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

JohnLeonard wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:56 am First time in Cambodia i went to Candy bar, sat down outside, immediately was approached by 4 girls asking to buy them drink because one of them was celebrating her birthday, i told them off, the manager realized this and tried to verify their story but of course i am not that stupid, right afterwards 2 barangs walked in and they tried the same thing as they did with me, it worked, they sat next to me and at one time there was 10 girls drinking with them, i felt uncomfortable, from there i paid each drink separately and enjoyed watching them as they squeeze more drinks from the two poor guys. from then i decided to never go again but one of my friends who was with me in a later trip insisted to go there as he knew some girl who use to date his friend, we went there the girl my friend knew was with Korean customer although she already told him that she will sit with him and talk about his friend who passed away few months ago, she saw us and came over, she told him that she is busy with customer but will be back in 10 minutes, meanwhile you can talk to my friend she said, 3 girls popped up while she stepped back to her customer, my friend was really angry and decided to go over there and tell her off, as we were discussing she came back ordered a drink without permission also ordered for her friend and started drinking going back and forth between us and her customers, when the bill arrived i paid for me and my friend and told them that she ordered by her self, let her pay, the manager argued but she saw that we never ordered a drinks for them. good riddance, never again.
This is why 130 is better :hattip:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic