New house and the police

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

New house and the police

Post by iluvu »

Real question for once. So a couple weeks back, I was filling out paperwork for my new house. While at the office my uncle's lady friend was at my house, she mentioned the police stopped by to see who was living there. My question is, what do the police want? Do they actually want to know who's here, are they even police, and how much do I gotta give them. I've been here like 2 or 3 weeks now and no sign, I'm also never downstairs.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New house and the police

Post by beaker »

Yes, they want to know who you are. There will be paperwork you will have to provide copy of passport, some photos, thumbprint and cash.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

$5, they will ask for 10. pay in riel.
the stooge they sent to my place kept eyeing off my pizza oven and thought i was using it to make drugs.
he reminded me also that human trafficking is not allowed.
dumfuk
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

frank lee bent wrote:$5, they will ask for 10. pay in riel.
Good reason to collect all those 100 riel notes

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Here's some advice for free.

Whichever policeman comes to your house, make a point of writing down his badge number (it's on his shirt) and ask for his name and telephone number. He will get very, very nervous. If he asks what you're doing, just tell him you might need to contact him one day. He will probably not directly ask for money if you do this, but after he tells you "business is finished" (and he'll probably use these exact words) give him $5 and tell him you'll see him again in six months.

There are some benefits.

1. He'll think you know how to play the game, and behave himself.

2. If another copper tries the same game in a week or a month, just show him the details for the first copper and tell him to call the first guy.

Sounds too easy, but works.

Also, "my" immigration copper tried to share the love by bringing a street cop with him - I refused the street copper access to the house and told him he didn't need to be here if the immigration copper was here. Worked.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I think it's legit for them to get the $5 but believe it is the landlord that pays it. That is what my landlord does and they sit down with me and answer all the questions while i just supply the pictures, passport and thumbprint while looking innocent. They wouldn't pay if not required.
When i lived in the country side (Daung, battambong prov.) the 'Governor' was the one asking for cash he wanted 10,000 Riel/per month. I didn't pay it but would have, as my rent was only $3. per/month for the whole 2 bedroom house. Soon after I moved to live at the school where I was teaching they gave me free room and board and handled all the necessary fees. Which consisted of free beer for the head policeman during our weekly Saturday night teachers party.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I've never been asked money, and never had police come anywhere near entering my house. Hand over the copied docs to the landlord and let them deal with it.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

iluvu wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 4:31 pm Real question for once. So a couple weeks back, I was filling out paperwork for my new house. While at the office my uncle's lady friend was at my house, she mentioned the police stopped by to see who was living there. My question is, what do the police want? Do they actually want to know who's here, are they even police, and how much do I gotta give them. I've been here like 2 or 3 weeks now and no sign, I'm also never downstairs.

What you need is one of these to wear around your neck. When approached by anyone, tap your ear , wave your hand as if you cannot hear and hand over a pen and paper.

No-one in government wants to waste their time and write anything down that can be used as evidence later on. This include customs officials and [ Australian ] Centerlink. It's a hard act to follow but with a bit of practice like clenching your tongue between your teeth so you cannot speak and pretending that you dont hear them when they call your name , it can result in that person just waving you away and them walking off.
Life is a big game,,,, learn how to play it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

all residents are supposed to be registered at each house.
normally they will just ask the landlord to do it.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am all residents are supposed to be registered at each house.
normally they will just ask the landlord to do it.
I think that may depend on the type of residence like guesthouse, or apartment where the landlord is on premises compared to a house where the landlord may not be present.
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic