Privileged snowflakes begging for travel funds in SEA

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Privileged snowflakes begging for travel funds in SEA

Post by taabarang »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 am
taabarang wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 am "verb (used without object), quit or quitted, quitting"

Not so in US. And "to be quit of" sounds vaguely like quaint British English.
Quitted is old British English, and used to be the main past tense

to my knowledge it basically means "to leave"/"left"
ie. quitted his job, he quitted England to live in Cambodia, makes sense

i dont think its used in the sense of "giving up"/"gave up"
ie. he couldnt do it so he quitted, doesnt make sense

im not sure its ever been apart of American English, and even in England now it would probably raise a few eyebrows

someones even gone through the effort of making a chart
I know, we'll compromise and call it quits.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:25 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 am
taabarang wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 am "verb (used without object), quit or quitted, quitting"

Not so in US. And "to be quit of" sounds vaguely like quaint British English.
Quitted is old British English, and used to be the main past tense

to my knowledge it basically means "to leave"/"left"
ie. quitted his job, he quitted England to live in Cambodia, makes sense

i dont think its used in the sense of "giving up"/"gave up"
ie. he couldnt do it so he quitted, doesnt make sense

im not sure its ever been apart of American English, and even in England now it would probably raise a few eyebrows

someones even gone through the effort of making a chart
I know, we'll compromise and call it quits.
haha old post, dont even think it was my argument i was just chipping in haha :beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

I would be curious why would a person travel to another nation with no money. I have an income of 1100 a month, I make another 600 a year from treasury bonds, and I receive 16000 in aid for going to college. I also have an emergency fund of about a years salary which is there in case I need to get back to the USA or to get to a job. The idea of having no money while in another country is scary for me. When I am overseas and want money than I would simply look for a job. I have to admit that i would have no problem with people who produce things and then sell them. I make my own soap and if I have access I think it is fine to sell it. In fact, I think locals do not have an issue with that unless I am stealing business from them. I do have problems with begging. I never give to people who beg from me. I also will not buy from people who are too pushy. I feel giving to beggars tends to give bad precedent. If I give money to children then their families will likely keep them out of school. If I give money to invalids they are not likely to attempt to find ways to better themselves. I also do not know if they are using it to buy drugs or if the money is going to a syndicate. I also remember what an Imam told me about begging when I went to a Mosque in Houston TX. I had asked him if giving money to beggars is considered giving Zakat or alms. He said it was not because when one gives money to beggars they are basically trying to get this person to leave them alone. The intention is not to help them but for selfish reasons. therefore Allah does not favor this action. Now when I am faced with beggars this is what goes through my mind. Plus if I needed money I can always teach english,repair computers and appliances or do something in which i would make more than spending my time asking people for pocket change.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

So you asked a bloke in a mosque about begging and he told you what an invented man in the sky says and you believed him?

charlie :stir:

charlie
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Why the negative point duncan, that poster i replied to "michael.stewart" is not a real person, he is a troll posting for reasons i can't work out.
Oh wait a minute i gave you a negative point for joking about a suicide, grow up!

charlie
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:29 pm I would be curious why would a person travel to another nation with no money. I have an income of 1100 a month, I make another 600 a year from treasury bonds, and I receive 16000 in aid for going to college. I also have an emergency fund of about a years salary which is there in case I need to get back to the USA or to get to a job. The idea of having no money while in another country is scary for me. When I am overseas and want money than I would simply look for a job. I have to admit that i would have no problem with people who produce things and then sell them. I make my own soap and if I have access I think it is fine to sell it. In fact, I think locals do not have an issue with that unless I am stealing business from them. I do have problems with begging. I never give to people who beg from me. I also will not buy from people who are too pushy. I feel giving to beggars tends to give bad precedent. If I give money to children then their families will likely keep them out of school. If I give money to invalids they are not likely to attempt to find ways to better themselves. I also do not know if they are using it to buy drugs or if the money is going to a syndicate. I also remember what an Imam told me about begging when I went to a Mosque in Houston TX. I had asked him if giving money to beggars is considered giving Zakat or alms. He said it was not because when one gives money to beggars they are basically trying to get this person to leave them alone. The intention is not to help them but for selfish reasons. therefore Allah does not favor this action. Now when I am faced with beggars this is what goes through my mind. Plus if I needed money I can always teach english,repair computers and appliances or do something in which i would make more than spending my time asking people for pocket change.
@ Michael Stewart. It's not always the best idea to post your name and your finances on the internet. :facepalm: This is an open forum - all the way to Nigeria and beyond.
PS: What is your bank account number in Cambodia ? (This is a joke. Do not reply.)
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:14 pm Why the negative point duncan, that poster i replied to "michael.stewart" is not a real person, he is a troll posting for reasons i can't work out.
I think he's posting because he wants to improve his English. As I mentioned before he should start by understanding how to construct paragraphs.

Just imagine it's a hamburger :plus1:

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Fuck off with this real person crap.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:34 pm So you asked a bloke in a mosque about begging and he told you what an invented man in the sky says and you believed him?

charlie :stir:

charlie
The point still stands though, that you are giving small money and the least amount of effort to get rid of a problem, rather than dealing with it in any really helpful or thoughtful way.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic