Privileged snowflakes begging for travel funds in SEA

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Privileged snowflakes begging for travel funds in SEA

Post by taabarang »

"verb (used without object), quit or quitted, quitting"

Not so in US. And "to be quit of" sounds vaguely like quaint British English.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

:fingerwave:
SinnSisamouth wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 am
Luigi wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am
SinnSisamouth wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:15 am exactly
they dont do it because they are poor or have no money they do it to stick it up on fb,instacunt, snapchat etc.

its embarrassing rather than enfuriating

infuriating
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
in·fu·ri·ate (ĭn-fyo͝or′ē-āt′)
tr.v. in·fu·ri·at·ed, in·fu·ri·at·ing, in·fu·ri·ates
To make furious; enrage.
adj. (ĭn-fyo͝or′ē-ĭt) Archaic
Furious.

Som there.
wow
:fuckyou: And back to you mouth.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

charming
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

juansweetpotato wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:11 pm Pisses me off anyway, because it's a slap in the face for those who beg to eat and to survive.
Please explain why these very few and minimal impact people rile you more than those with MFI investments/ agents who are taking money from the poor and are approaching maximum saturation levels.
I don't think these begbackers have ever caused a poor person to sell their daughter, commit suicide or lose their home.
Firstly, why do you presume that these begpackers rile me MORE than MFIs or that I am not concerned with banks and finance companies cleaning out the poor ?
I wouldn't put them in the same category at all tbh, and being annoyed by one doesn't mean that I am indifferent to the other. I am quite capable of being pissed off with lots of stuff at the same time :protest: but this is a thread about begpackers.

As to why the begpackers annoy me, well, I think I said this already - I am disturbed by privileged people asking less privileged people for money so they can take a holiday. I am also a bit annoyed/frustrated/perplexed that the privileged people who are begging seem to be unaware of how damn privileged they are. Most of the people they are asking money from will never be able to travel for pleasure, and even so, they would be probably be refused entry to the begpackers home countries - and definitely would be refused if they didn't have sufficient funds.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 am "verb (used without object), quit or quitted, quitting"

Not so in US. And "to be quit of" sounds vaguely like quaint British English.
Quitted is old British English, and used to be the main past tense

to my knowledge it basically means "to leave"/"left"
ie. quitted his job, he quitted England to live in Cambodia, makes sense

i dont think its used in the sense of "giving up"/"gave up"
ie. he couldnt do it so he quitted, doesnt make sense

im not sure its ever been apart of American English, and even in England now it would probably raise a few eyebrows

someones even gone through the effort of making a chart
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

shit
u guys dont know how lucky u r

try writing and reading when u r dyslexic!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

verb (used with object), quit or quitted, quitting.
1.to stop, cease, or discontinue:She quit what she was doing to help me paint the house.
2.to depart from; leave (a place or person):They quit the city for the seashore every summer.
3.to give up or resign; let go; relinquish:He quit his claim to the throne. She quit her job.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/quit
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Meanwhile in Cambodia, a poor family struggles to raise funds to buy a coffin and transport a loved ones body back to her village for her funeral.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:30 pm Meanwhile in Cambodia, a poor family struggles to raise funds to buy a coffin and transport a loved ones body back to her village for her funeral.
This.

I know where I'd be giving my spare cash.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:11 pm This really pisses me off. How did you guess ?

It's not "even" begging for money to get home because you blew it all on things you couldn't afford, or you got conned or robbed. No, it's an entitlement to travel on other peoples' dime. You might say that people are not obliged to give their hard-earned cash to young westerners so they can know the joys of Party International and you would be right. Pisses me off anyway, because it's a slap in the face for those who beg to eat and to survive. Work for travel is ok, I've done it, but that not what this is about.

ASIA 04/10/2017
'Beg-packers': White tourists who beg in southeast Asia
Locals have been shocked to see white tourists begging in the streets of Malaysia, Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore to raise money for their travels. While some just see it as bizarre, others are outraged by it, calling it an "orientalist fantasy".

“Beg-packers” is the word sometimes used to describe young Western tourists who play music or sell knick-knacks in the streets of southeast Asia to pay for their trips or to purchase their ticket back home.
Backpackers are often viewed as the antithesis of organised trips and mass tourism. But even the romantic image of adventurers on the hunt for new horizons has transformed in recent years. Now, many see backpackers as Westerners who want to travel on the cheap — to the point of exploiting the locals...
http://observers.france24.com/en/201704 ... heast-asia
Freedom of speech is broke. (broken).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic