Privileged snowflakes begging for travel funds in SEA

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Privileged snowflakes begging for travel funds in SEA

Post by John Bingham »

taabarang wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:49 pm Shameful vitriol from old or older men who were never young. I wouldn't want them as friends but what the hell at least they have a bit of adventure in their souls.
I was a total blagger at times in my forlorn youth and totally took the piss. Begging, stealing, scamming the DHSS and generally being a rotten dirty imbecile. Good times.

Asking people to donate to your travels while you have a thousand or more in electronics or have spent over a thousand getting somewhere is something I could never have imagined doing though. I can empathize with those who have lost the plot a bit and ended up in a mess, however any competent adult who deliberately plans a trip abroad knowing they are going to have to rely on the sympathy of strangers is on a total loser and has far too much entitlement.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

Living cheap is fine ....
Money's not everything.

But begging in SEA is honestly the stupidest decision a person could make.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Says the stupid cunt who tried to survive on Mama's Noodles for six weeks while he "lived in Cambodia". You're just as trashy, don't get ideas above your station jackass.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:47 am Says the stupid cunt who tried to survive on Mama's Noodles for six weeks while he "lived in Cambodia". You're just as trashy, don't get ideas above your station jackass.
My salary is 5500 $ a month cleared.

Who is the Trashy one?
peppermintpaddy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by peppermintpaddy »

Trinitysmackstain wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:56 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:47 am Says the stupid cunt who tried to survive on Mama's Noodles for six weeks while he "lived in Cambodia". You're just as trashy, don't get ideas above your station jackass.
My salary is 5500 $ a month cleared.

Who is the Trashy one?
another tall tale?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

As I said earlier"My life is full; I've no need to keep score." After you gentlemen have finally settled on a pecking order I would be grateful if you would stop stepping on each other in your race to the top of the totem pole.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"I would be grateful if you would stop stepping on each other in your race to the top of the totem pole."

More like a race to the bottom of <whatever>.

Guys stop the name calling. You can put each other on ignore. Thanks.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Maybe I have a different idea of begging than some of you ? For me, begging is the last resort. It is what you do when you are totally desperate. It is humiliating. It is what you do when you're really in the shit. It is not just a variation of Go Fund Me. IMO, begging to fund your leisure lifestyle in developing countries is taking the piss.

But I realise that attitudes have changed and that people nowadays seem to think its ok to expect strangers to pay for your drug habit, your drinking habit and your travels. I spent a good few years traveling when I was younger, and finding the money to support myself and my travel habit wasn't easy but that was part of the deal.
I know I sound about 100, but I'm not.( In my day, bla bla :la_rose: ) A lot of people I know are struggling at the moment, and expecting people to give you money for fun is too weird to get my head around.

[Btw apologies for the dreadful word 'snowflake'. =@ Never again.]
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

in regards begging.
One year i was robbed coming out of Nepal into India. everything of value gone.

Had to make it to delhi (they let me ride the train for free) and wait 6 months, Had to raise $$ to get new passport BUT us Embassy claimed they had no record of me being a US citizen... ahh the hassles and then dealing with the foreigners regional registration office to get permission to leave India....than had to raise money to fly to europe
Anyway
I lived in Old delhi, for my free room, i would daily go meet the trains from agra and get people to the hotel, I would also go and approach wealthier tourist around Connaught place and offer my services as a guide, shopping expert, etc after telling them my story (this was in 1975). Some would offer money to help me, but i always refused and wouldn't accept $$ for nothing.

To be a healthy, white tourist and t o beg to further ur own travels, u must have no self worth, I'd rather be a thief or drug dealer
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Right to reply. From one of the couple in the photo:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic