Woman hunted for throwing shoe at a poster (UPDATED 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Woman hunted for throwing shoe at a poster.

Post by that genius »

Sounds like a croc of shit to me

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Extradited 'shoe thrower' Sam Sokha faces two-year prison sentence
9 February 2018
Newly released court documents disclose that Cambodian refugee Sam Sokha – who was extradited from Thailand to the Kingdom yesterday – had already been sentenced in absentia to two years in prison for posting a video on Facebook in which she throws her sandal at a Cambodian People's Party billboard.

Human rights groups criticised Thailand’s forcible return of Sokha, who is recognised as a refugee by the United Nations, saying the move is a blatant violation of international law.

Sokha gained notoriety after the video, in which she is seen throwing her sandal at a billboard bearing the faces of Prime Minister HE and National Assembly President Heng Samrin, went viral on Cambodian social media last April.

Kampong Speu Presiding Judge Ouk Retkunthea, in a document dated January 25 that was published late yesterday by government mouthpiece Fresh News, said Sokha was convicted in absentia and sentenced to two years in prison and fined 5 million riel, about $1,250, for insulting a public official and for incitement to discriminate.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/e ... n-sentence
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Shoe-throwing woman is extradited from Thailand, then sentenced to two years jail and a $1250 fine, after she posted a video of herself on Facebook throwing a shoe at a political billboard. Although it is not illegal to throw shoes in Cambodia, Ms Sokha was convicted of “incitement to discriminate” and “insulting a public official”.

‘Shoe thrower’, extradited after seeking refuge in Thailand, gets two-year jail sentence
23 March 2018
Extradited refugee Sam Sokha was sentenced on Thursday by the Kampong Speu Provincial Court to two years in jail for throwing a shoe at a CPP billboard, months after she was convicted in absentia shortly before her deportation from Thailand.

Sokha posted a video on Facebook last April showing her throwing a sandal twice at a ruling party billboard in Preah Sihanouk province. After authorities announced they were seeking her arrest, she then fled to Thailand and was recognised by the UN as a refugee.

However, she was arrested by Thai officials in January and following a January 25 trial at Kampong Speu Provincial Court, Sokha was convicted in absentia of “incitement to discriminate” and “insulting a public official” and handed a two-year sentence and 5 million riel ($1,250) fine. She was deported back to Cambodia on February 8.

The court held a retrial on March 15 and announced the verdict on Thursday, upholding the same sentence, said Licadho provincial coordinator Khon Khoy. He said the trial was held in the absence of the plaintiff, the plaintiff’s lawyer and Sokha’s lawyer.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... l-sentence
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

So she got almost the exact same sentence as the “suspected” vice principal kiddie fiddler? What a joke!!!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The sentences here rarely make much sense, and people throwing flip-flops at posters is pretty far down the list of crimes that I believe warrant a sentence.
What she was saying in the video and her actions in Thailand might have swung things though. Any dissent will be dealt with severely.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:44 pm So she got almost the exact same sentence as the “suspected” vice principal kiddie fiddler? What a joke!!!
not a joke, control of a country is worth millions of dollars, ppl wld kill for it, anyway she is lucky, if im H.E. i wld throw in charges of escapee in, 10 years in prison wld hv made her fade into history
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

The title completely misled me. I thought that it was about some crusty old slut who threw a shoe at CEO's favorite poster, Twapper.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 pm The title completely misled me. I thought that it was about some crusty old slut who threw a shoe at CEO's favorite poster, Twapper.
You mean it's not?

:shock:
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

that genius wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 am Sounds like a croc of shit to me

C'mon Genius, you know that shit heel was solely responsible.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

Just sums up the system here,2 yrs for throwing footwear.What happens of you cause mayhem.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic