Woman hunted for throwing shoe at a poster (UPDATED 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Woman hunted for throwing shoe at a poster.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

And the hunt is on for the deadly shoe-thrower...
Police are probably afraid that she will throw the other shoe at them if they approach too closely.

Police hunt woman ‘shoe thrower’
14 June 2017
Police in Kampong Speu province are seeking a woman who failed to answer a court summons for insulting Prime Minister HE and National Assembly president Heng Samin.
Sam Sokha, 38, was ordered to go to court by June 8 to answer an allegation that she insulted government leaders and incited discrimination against them.
A 13-second video posted on social media is said to show her throwing a shoe at a CPP poster of Mr Samin and Mr HE.
She appears to chant: “They came here to destroy the nation.”

Provincial police chief Sam Sak said her whereabouts were unknown and police had presumed she would answer the summons.
“We have already sent the documents to the court,” said Mr Sak. “We are still searching for her and will try to take her to court.”

Ms Sokha surrendered her right to vote in the commune elections for fear of being arrested if she attended the polling station in Svay Kravang where she was registered.
“I don’t have faith in the court system,” she said at the time.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39303/ ... hrower---/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 pm I hope they can catch her before she commits more heinous crimes.
That's not how you spell anus.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sam Sokha, the woman who threw a shoe at a CPP billboard photo and posted it online in April, is still on the run from Cambodia's forces of law and order. She failed to appear at her hearing on 8 June and a warrant for her arrest was issued by a judge yesterday. Ms Sokha is charged with "insult and incitement to discrimination" against Samdech Techo HE and Samdech Heng Samrin

She does not seem remorseful :
Ms Sokha said via Facebook messenger earlier this month that she does not have faith in the court system.
She could not be reached yesterday, but said in a public post that she plans to appear in court on July 5.
“I would like to say that I am not scared of the arrest warrant issued by the Vietnam puppet court,” her post said.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39766/ ... e-thrower/

http://peoplenews.asia/9923/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

"insult and incitement to discrimination"

Is there a specialized department that is in charge of inventing inane directives?
That one is beyond ludicrous.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Luigi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm "insult and incitement to discrimination"

Is there a specialized department that is in charge of inventing inane directives?
I think it's called Google Translate.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 pm
Luigi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm "insult and incitement to discrimination"

I think it's called Google Translate.
Prolly so. I forget how fubar that can be.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I would like to say that I am not scared of the arrest warrant issued by the Vietnam puppet court

That's a great tactic. Accuse the government of being Vietnamese puppets. No wonder they want to prosecute her now. Dumb bitch.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Shoe thrower charged, faces jail time in Kampong Speu
28 June 2017
The Kampong Speu Provincial Court has issued an arrest warrant for a former garment worker who threw her sandal at a billboard featuring the face of Prime Minister HE.
The document, signed by Kampong Speu Investigating Judge Sueng Vuthy yesterday, accuses Sam Sokha of insulting a public official under Article 502 of the Criminal Code, and incitement to discriminate under articles 494 and 496.
The charges carry a potential maximum jail sentence of three years and six days.

In a message yesterday, the 38-year-old, who fled her home after the summons and remains in hiding, said she was “very concerned”...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/s ... mpong-speu

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I like this woman, they need more people here telling the government to go fuck themselves
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Woman who threw shoe at CPP billboard ‘pressed’ to return
24 January 2018
A Cambodian woman wanted for “incitement” for throwing a sandal at a Cambodian People’s Party billboard last year is being pressured by government officials to return to Cambodia from Thailand, where she fled seeking asylum and was recently arrested for overstaying her visa, according to an international rights group.

Sam Sokha, a Kampong Speu province native, posted a video on Facebook last April of her throwing her sandal twice at a ruling party billboard in Preah Sihanouk province. The first throw was aimed at an image of Prime Minister HE, and the second at one of National Assembly President Heng Samrin.

The former unionist then fled to Thailand and was charged in June by the Kampong Speu Provincial Court with “incitement to discriminate” and insulting a public official, charges that carry a combined sentence of over three years in prison.

Amnesty International yesterday reported that Sokha was arrested on January 6 in Bangkok for overstaying her visa, and was convicted and given a suspended sentence of two months in prison, placed on probation and fined 3,000 baht (about $94).
After she was moved to Suan Phlu Immigration Detention Centre in Bangkok, Amnesty reports that she was visited by Cambodian government officials to “pressure” her to return home.

Thailand has not ratified the 1951 Refugee Convention, and has an extradition agreement with Cambodia...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/w ... sed-return

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic