NEW ! Information on Work Permits.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: NEW ! Information on Work Permits.

Post by taabarang »

Lucky Lucky assured me when I applied for my ER visa yesterday (retirement visa) it does exist. As for the other document I have no idea.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

eriksank wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:27 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:07 pm why not apply for a ER ( retirement) extension if ur not working....
i tried asking the people who do my visa extensions and they didnt have a clue what i was talking about
That has been my experience too. I still need to meet someone who knows about ER extensions. It seems to be the same as with the "residence permit". Cambodian regulations even going back to 1993 incessantly mention their existence, but nobody has ever seen one. All of these things are papers that only exist on paper! ;-)
I got an ER extension last year. Mottah Travel in SHV suggested the ER would be easier because that means you don't need a work permit. No requirements.
Some people have told me that Ana either does not do the ER at all or they ask for certain conditions, so maybe some places are better than others. Anyway, sure and certain about Mottah. I know a couple of other people who also have got an ER there.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 11:37 am Mottah Travel in SHV suggested the ER would be easier because that means you don't need a work permit. No requirements.
As the article says, the number one reason to move to Cambodia, are the easy visa requirements. With a bit of patience, Cambodia would inevitably turn into the largest startup hub in Asia. The thing that Malaysia has always wanted to be, but will never be. Cambodia has all the characteristics that startup founders are looking for: a cheap place in which to fire up their laptops and build a Minimum Viable Product (MVP). The next Facebook will inevitably come from a place like Cambodia. There's no point in trying to attract companies like Coca cola. It is individuals like Mark Zuckerberg who create the future on their laptops. Cambodia made sense in that kind of future. Therefore, the work permit rumors and rigmarole are actively destroying the one thing that Cambodia has going for it. They now have 5000 foreigners paying $100 per year. So, to beef up a lousy $500 000/year in gross revenue, they are pretty much putting a halt to their future digital economy. Facebook makes more money than the whole of Cambodia ...
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

it would seem to me that gov is at fault. IF you can't get a business visa without having a biz or being offered work, they should not issue them. As above, for years they've called a business visa an "ordinary" visa, I'd think you can't wade into that mess unless willing to deport a LOT of people. (course as we all know, payoffs rule, and that's what many are thinking a LOT of this IS, a money grab) So they need to stop issuing business visa's unless you have work, offer, business or whatever they want TO GIVE YOU a work permit. And and ordinary visa should be just that, with whatever new conditions they cook up. Certainly this ER is new enough that we know they'll tack on conditions sooner rather than later.
The ugly rabid gorilla in the room is just how much any of these regs are enforced and by who? Will you be paying off everyone from johnny cop on the beat on up? Not that they care but I think they'll end up with a small exodus of long time expats who contributed to the country and they'll continue to get more and more begpackers and the like.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Mr Curious wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:03 pmSo they need to stop issuing business visa's unless you have work, offer, business or whatever they want TO GIVE YOU a work permit.
The definition of "work" itself is rapidly changing.

before internet ! == after internet.

Everything that was established before the internet, must be reviewed in the light of the existence of the internet.

Even ubiquitous things like money, can no longer exist in the same way before as after the internet. A taxi company cannot exist in the same way before and after the internet ("Uber"). A hotel cannot exist in the same way before and after the internet ("booking.com airbnb.com ...") Anybody trying to enforce pre-internet rules on a post-internet situation is just trying to impose his stupidity onto others.

Look at the Cambodian labor law. It does not take the existence of the internet into account. Therefore, it is retarded. That is actually because all man-made law is always retarded.

Look at the dumb definitions in Article 2:

Article 2

Every enterprise may consist of several establishments, each employing a group of people working together in a defined place such as in factory, workshop, work site, etc., under the supervision and direction of the employer.

A given establishment shall be always under the auspices of an enterprise. The establishment may employ just one person. If this establishment is unique and independent, it is both considered as an enterprise and an establishment.

A first problem. So, employees work under the supervision and direction of an employer. This invariably assumes the presence of two persons: the supervisor and the supervisee. Claiming that "The establishment may employ just one person." is inconsistent with the concept of such supervision. This kind of inane, retarded, and inconsistent concepts used to work fine before widespread use of computers. In a computer, however, this is a bug. And now we are going to use that bug in their system to mercilessly siphon off several billions of dollars from the arrogant idiots, who do not deserve any better.

You can see that the text is full of imbecile statements. Build your system like that, and then you will see people getting stinking rich, crashing and burning it. Do you know why is it always like that? The reason is:

First Commandment. I am the lawmaking God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of slavery. You shall have no other lawmakers but me.

Therefore, it is a religious obligation to teach the arrogant dogs who associate themselves as partners next to or above the only legitimate lawmaker, a lesson, and mercilessly take them to the cleaners.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mr Curious wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:03 pm it would seem to me that gov is at fault. IF you can't get a business visa without having a biz or being offered work, they should not issue them. As above, for years they've called a business visa an "ordinary" visa, I'd think you can't wade into that mess unless willing to deport a LOT of people. (course as we all know, payoffs rule, and that's what many are thinking a LOT of this IS, a money grab) So they need to stop issuing business visa's unless you have work, offer, business or whatever they want TO GIVE YOU a work permit. And and ordinary visa should be just that, with whatever new conditions they cook up. Certainly this ER is new enough that we know they'll tack on conditions sooner rather than later.
The ugly rabid gorilla in the room is just how much any of these regs are enforced and by who? Will you be paying off everyone from johnny cop on the beat on up? Not that they care but I think they'll end up with a small exodus of long time expats who contributed to the country and they'll continue to get more and more begpackers and the like.
AFAIK the visa is still an "ordinary" visa - or category E, which the IP told me is E for employment. It's the subcategory that makes it a "business" visa - EB - or a "retirement" visa - ER.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

eriksank wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 amThe next Facebook will inevitably come from a place like Cambodia. There's no point in trying to attract companies like Coca cola. It is individuals like Mark Zuckerberg who create the future on their laptops. Cambodia made sense in that kind of future. Therefore, the work permit rumors and rigmarole are actively destroying the one thing that Cambodia has going for it. They now have 5000 foreigners paying $100 per year. So, to beef up a lousy $500 000/year in gross revenue, they are pretty much putting a halt to their future digital economy. Facebook makes more money than the whole of Cambodia ...
What a ridiculous statement. Mark Zukerberg, Elon Musk and Chad Hurley types will create what they create from wherever they are. Mom's basement, a flatshare, Cambodia or elsewhere. Do you seriously think Cambodia is swarming with Mark Zuckerbergs because "it's a cheap place to live"? Work permits and all that aren't ruining the imaginary tech hub you talk about. Get real...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:39 pmWhat a ridiculous statement. Mark Zukerberg, Elon Musk and Chad Hurley types will create what they create from wherever they are. Mom's basement, a flatshare, Cambodia or elsewhere.
Only if they can. Zuck was already rich, a millionaire, before doing Facebook, but if he hadn't been, he could not have done Facebook from Malaysia, because they demand a lot of money from foreigners who want to just live there. "Malaysia My Second Home" costs a minimum of depositing $25 000 locally. Jan Koum, for example, would impossibly have been able to afford that when he started WhatsApp. He was struggling for cash, just to pay for his ramen!

Malaysia is pouring dozens of millions of dollars in trying to attract companies like WhatsApp, but it is too late. They're established already. They already have their roots somewhere. At the same time, Malaysia are pouring dozens of millions of dollars in keeping people like Jan Koum out of the country, because he did not have $25 000. He is worth 19 billion now.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:39 pmDo you seriously think Cambodia is swarming with Mark Zuckerbergs because "it's a cheap place to live"?
Not yet. Chiang Mai, in Thailand is. Why is Chiang Mai the best place for Digital Nomads?

Being a digital nomad allows the total freedom pack your belongings get in a plane and work wherever you want. Why then are so many (possibly over 3000) digital nomads choosing to live and work for extended periods in Chiang Mai City Thailand?

The reason why Cambodia isn't, is because Chiang Mai already is. Seriously, Cambodia must wait for Thailand to make a mistake, and then they'll get their opportunity. But then again, the work permit story, almost guarantees that it will still not be Cambodia.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:39 pmWork permits and all that aren't ruining the imaginary tech hub you talk about. Get real...
Have you ever written even just two lines of code that actually run on a machine?
Can you read source code?
If not, I am surprised that you are so sure of what you are saying about technology.
That is always the most interesting question: How can they be so sure?
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

Employment Retired???? wtf?
obviously they are just trying to tighten up things in their desire to squeeze money from anyone that has it. It will be a miracle if they don't lose more of "their" country to someone else coming in and taking it, as has happened consistently throughout their history. Perhaps they can call the French back. Ok, I jest. Sometimes I think Cambodia should be part of Africa.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Mr Curious wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pmobviously they are just trying to tighten up things in their desire to squeeze money from anyone that has it.
It would be like meeting Beethoven on the banks of the Mekong, while he is writing a symphony, and to ask him: "Where is your work permit?"
Work permits are obviously not a goal in themselves. What would be the value gained for anybody in Cambodia to prevent Beethoven from writing his symphonies?

The old system was much better. They did not assume that their superior intelligence could correctly classify people into "workers", "self-employed", "artisans", "retired", and so on. That kind of cattle no longer exists. So, we've got an unadjusted, pre-internet Ministry of Labour trying to enforce a labour law written by the French 30 years ago, which is no longer applicable, not even in France.

Creating a new law is not the solution either.
Man-made law is dumb, retarded, and only causes trouble.
The purpose of man-made law is not to bring justice, but to justify injustices.
It is just one more filthy western depravity. Get rid of it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic