dealing with a next door neighbour(yank)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: dealing with a next door neighbour(yank)

Post by Duncan »

I guess I'm wrong, but I always thought that ''pome, '' was short for prisoner or person of mother england
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Seasquatch wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:16 pm I should of made my user name - Seppee :stir:

Who cares people need to grow a set and quit taking things so seriously, where I grew up it was a verbal assault war, growing up in the "Your mamma is so fat..." days; you had to have wit and be quick, especially if you went at it with a couple black guys standing on the corner, when you got one in everyone laughed at that person, when someone got one good on you, you took it like a rat.

Seems some of my fellow younger American snowflakes have lost their sterner side.

Lot of Brits where I live, I call them red coats :beer3: think I'll start calling the aussies toadies :dragonchase:
growing up on building sites in northern england, you need thick skin or you wont survive lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:27 pm I guess I'm wrong, but I always thought that ''pome, '' was short for prisoner or person of mother england
you would have thought, but apparently theres no evidence to back it up
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:37 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 pm
Pom is short for pomegranate. Rhyming slang for immigrant. There was no Prisoner of her mag. It was in my QI book that lived in the lav.
yeah its short for pomegranate, as the English Immigrants skin used to burn red in the Australian sun
I'm not so sure about that, Pomegranates aren't native to Australia and it seems they have only recently been cultivated on any scale. Plus "Immigrant" doesn't even rhyme with "Pomegranate", unless you say it in "Strayin".
Another theory is that it comes from "Prisoner Of His Majesty". It doesn't seem like there is any definitive answer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:32 pm
Seasquatch wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:16 pm I should of made my user name - Seppee :stir:

Who cares people need to grow a set and quit taking things so seriously, where I grew up it was a verbal assault war, growing up in the "Your mamma is so fat..." days; you had to have wit and be quick, especially if you went at it with a couple black guys standing on the corner, when you got one in everyone laughed at that person, when someone got one good on you, you took it like a rat.

Seems some of my fellow younger American snowflakes have lost their sterner side.

Lot of Brits where I live, I call them red coats :beer3: think I'll start calling the aussies toadies :dragonchase:
growing up on building sites in northern england, you need thick skin or you wont survive lol
Yeah growing up working in autobody shops up North as a teen being the shop bitch and took a lot of shit and always gave it back :rambo: , tough love and good times looking back.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:38 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:37 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 pm
Pom is short for pomegranate. Rhyming slang for immigrant. There was no Prisoner of her mag. It was in my QI book that lived in the lav.
yeah its short for pomegranate, as the English Immigrants skin used to burn red in the Australian sun
I'm not so sure about that, Pomegranates aren't native to Australia and it seems they have only recently been cultivated on any scale. Plus "Immigrant" doesn't even rhyme with "Pomegranate", unless you say it in "Strayin".
Another theory is that it comes from "Prisoner Of His Majesty". It doesn't seem like there is any definitive answer.
i think thats already been debunked as most likely people creating the acronym to fit the already existing word, theres no evidence to prove it, or the others to be fair
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

All I know is that pomegranates don't rhyme with immigrants.

And anyway, that doesn't make any sense as they weren't immigrants. They were convicts. Prisoners of H.M.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Username Taken wrote:All I know is that pomegranates don't rhyme with immigrants.

And anyway, that doesn't make any sense as they weren't immigrants. They were convicts. Prisoners of H.M.
No they weren't. OED and AND says pomegranate.
http://qi.com/infocloud/etymology
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

soap dodgers was the alternative expression for poms when i was in oz,

charlie
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

In a few months I hope to walking into a libation venue and hear Hey YANK want a beer?

Call me what you will.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic