Scottish Muay Thai boxer dies, possible heatstroke.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Scottish Muay Thai boxer dies, possible heatstroke.

Post by hanno »

Are we talking about two different things here? The way I read it, the guy was trying to cut weight for a fight the next day; why would he have been water loading?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:27 pm
LionsLeftTesticle wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 pmMaybe he just had a heart condition like the mighty zzyz and his body couldn't take it any longer.
I am no Doctor but donning a sauna suit or something similar and going for a run in 36 degrees heat and 80%+ humidity and you won't need a heart condition to croak.
when i was training for the fight i had here last year and i had to cut about 6kg in 2 weeks i was out every lunch in the heat with a full black tracksuit/sweatsuit on sweating out my fluids,
its part of the job, its no wonder i was fucked after 3 rounds though lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 pm Are we talking about two different things here? The way I read it, the guy was trying to cut weight for a fight the next day; why would he have been water loading?
When you cut weight you overload on water and it flushes it out of your system about a week before a weigh in. Then in the last few days you sip on water and cut sodium (and take diuretics) to get rid of every bit of water in you.

Loading on water helps you lose it.
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

And that is cutting 10-20 pounds in days if you're massive but guy who died wasn't.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:12 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 pm Are we talking about two different things here? The way I read it, the guy was trying to cut weight for a fight the next day; why would he have been water loading?
When you cut weight you overload on water and it flushes it out of your system about a week before a weigh in. Then in the last few days you sip on water and cut sodium (and take diuretics) to get rid of every bit of water in you.

Loading on water helps you lose it.
never heard of that process
you keep hydrated during camp in order to maintain maximum healthy and productive training but never overloading on water to help flush out the system
when i was kickboxing and in amateur boxing a lot of the time the weigh ins were on the same day as the fight, so the last minute dehydration cuts dont work as you only have a few hours then to rehydrate yourself which is stupid
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Here is kind of similar https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/how-to ... -right-way

Obviously with beauty pageants you need to manipulate carbs too for fuller muscles plus to have veins on your ass takes much more extreme measures.
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

They must look after you in amateur but like you said with canello they want monsters with knockout punches and not small guys with less power.

I'm pretty sure diuretics and insulin is why these guys are dying now, not steroids and hgh.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:35 pm They must look after you in amateur but like you said with canello they want monsters with knockout punches and not small guys with less power.

I'm pretty sure diuretics and insulin is why these guys are dying now, not steroids and hgh.

a lot of the time at amateur boxing they fight close to their walking around weight so not much dieting is required due to the frequency that some boxers fight
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:30 pm Here is kind of similar https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/how-to ... -right-way

Obviously with beauty pageants you need to manipulate carbs too for fuller muscles plus to have veins on your ass takes much more extreme measures.
interesting, whenever im training for a fight though, i always get anorexia style mentality, and the losing weight becomes an unhealthy obsession, one of the horrible things from crash dieting
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Probably because you don't need to worry about muscle loss.

I can crash diet okay if I drink 10 cups of coffee a day and smoke 20.

The only reason you need to crash diet is because you drink too much lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic