Old woman killed while making home-made fireworks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Old woman killed while making home-made fireworks

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

AN elderly woman was killed when a firecracker she was filling exploded yesterday afternoon in Kampong Chhnang province.
The woman was a firecracker vendor and usually bought pre-assembled stock from Phnom Penh.

She had recently decided to try packing her own firecrackers and was working at home in Rolear Paear commune when the explosion occurred.

Commune police chief Thim Chom Reorn identified the victim as 67-year-old Ek Ny.

“She had bought the powder and other ingredients from the market to package the firecrackers herself,” he said.

“We think the spoon she was using with the powder might have been too hot and caused the explosion. Her body was thrown out of the house onto the road.

“Her husband was taking a bath in the bathroom at the time.
“The lady was sent to the provincial hospital where she was pronounced dead. Her husband would have also been killed if he hadn’t been in the bathroom.”
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/36847/ ... ker-blast/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Old woman killed while making home-made fireworks

Post by SinnSisamouth »

can a hot spoon ignite gun powder?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

Her body was thrown out of the house onto the road.
Must have been an enormous cracker !!!!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

SinnSisamouth wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 am can a hot spoon ignite gun powder?
Most likely caused by static electricity. Maybe a spark from the spoon to earth. Its a problem in commercial production:

"Electricity is the greatest danger. A single small spark can set off a roomful of explosives. All electrical outlets are located out-side the building. To avoid generating static electricity, all workers must wear 100% cotton clothing. They touch a copper plate before they enter a building to remove any static electricity they may be carrying. Elastic straps with wires trailing to the graphite floor are worn around the worker's calves, to drain static electricity away to grounding rods buried beneath the building. All work is halted and all workers leave the building if there is any possibility of an electrical storm approaching." http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Fireworks.html
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Popeye wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:44 am
Her body was thrown out of the house onto the road.
Must have been an enormous cracker !!!!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I made my own gunpowder, fireworks and pipe bombs when I was about 12 to 14 years old on the farm.. Even at that age I knew that you only use wood to mix, transfer or compact explosive powder. I gave all this up after I over loaded a homemade cannon which blew up , but I escaped unharmed,, luckily .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:47 am I made my own gunpowder, fireworks and pipe bombs when I was about 12 to 14 years old on the farm.. Even at that age I knew that you only use wood to mix, transfer or compact explosive powder. I gave all this up after I over loaded a homemade cannon which blew up , but I escaped unharmed,, luckily .
You and the Kampong Chnang lady are in good company. The eminent scientist and author Alex Comfort lost four fingers doing the same thing.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another bad result for illegal firecrackers.
Illegal firecracker maker guts houses
28 March 2017
Firecrackers produced in breach of technical standards burned two houses at a cost of more than $10,000 in cash and damaged material in Prey Veng province on Friday.
No casualties were reported.

“The fire started when the house owner made firecrackers contrary to technical specifications and they exploded,” provincial police chief Sreng Chea said.

“The fire didn’t just burn the firecracker seller’s house, but also the house next to it.”
Local media put the cost of the fire in Thkov commune at more than $10,000 including cash, a motorbike and rice that was destroyed.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/36950/ ... ts-houses/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic