How long is long stay ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
whereami
Expatriate
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 am
Reputation: 7
United States of America

How long is long stay ?

Post by whereami » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am

Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9207
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1687
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 am

1 month min.

good luck finding a job with zero quailifications
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Posts: 2068
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 am
Reputation: 8
Ireland

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by SinnSisamouth » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am

ur grammar is worse than mine

but i aint looking for a teaching job!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by Trinitysmackstain » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am

whereami wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am
Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.
Good to see newbies onto it before they even arive.

BTW good luck staying sober in PP......
taabarang
Expatriate
Posts: 3714
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am
Reputation: 874
Location: Outside of Kampong Cham city
United States of America

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by taabarang » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 pm

"Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ?"

Easy, it will be what you and the owner or his mouthpiece agree on. Terms and conditions will.be determined during negotiations. I suspect that a month minimum would give both of you more wiggle room to lower the rate substantially.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2776
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 423
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by cptrelentless » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 pm

You can teach privately, rather than in a school. You might want to find a different niche, though. Can you play poker?
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13715
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1910
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Trinitysmackstain wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am
whereami wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am
Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.
Good to see newbies onto it before they even arive.

BTW good luck staying sober in PP......
not all the time, ive started to see quite a few guesthouses which have electric meters for each room, im guessing for longstayers, water would be included though its rarely more than $2 per month
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by Trinitysmackstain » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Trinitysmackstain wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am
whereami wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am
Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.
Good to see newbies onto it before they even arive.

BTW good luck staying sober in PP......
not all the time, ive started to see quite a few guesthouses which have electric meters for each room, im guessing for longstayers, water would be included though its rarely more than $2 per month
Yeh i recomend the OP just gove the owner 10 a day then have AC 24 hours a day that way that cant say shit about the bill coz your gone to the next place.
You know 75 USD is a average bill for my neighbour last month.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13715
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1910
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Trinitysmackstain wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Trinitysmackstain wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am
whereami wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am
Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.
Good to see newbies onto it before they even arive.

BTW good luck staying sober in PP......
not all the time, ive started to see quite a few guesthouses which have electric meters for each room, im guessing for longstayers, water would be included though its rarely more than $2 per month
Yeh i recomend the OP just gove the owner 10 a day then have AC 24 hours a day that way that cant say shit about the bill coz your gone to the next place.
You know 75 USD is a average bill for my neighbour last month.
at my new place my bills come to around 20-30$ depending on how much i use the aircon,
i do remember one of my neighbors in my last apartments last year accidently racked up a $200 electric bill :facepalm:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:54 am
Reputation: 10

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by Raybull » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm
Trinitysmackstain wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Trinitysmackstain wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am
whereami wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 am
Can anyone tell me what timeframe is considered a "longstay" at a guesthouse in cambodia ? In regards to negotiating a cheaper rate . Maybe it varies considerably (place to place) but I would greatly appreciate any tips , previous experience , ect . I will be staying in several different guesthouses in p.p. for single nights to find the right place then negotiate a discounted longer stay . I plan on staying in p.p. minimum 3 months , maximum forever ..... Also i am wondering if schools hire native english speakers to teach 1 or 2 hours a day only ? . Minimum salary no problem . I have no experience ( and no degree) but am an american (tall/blonde/blue/cleancut mid 40s) and am under the impression that counts for something in this part of the world . I have a monthly income and would not be teaching to support myself . Only on a minimal basis to help stay busy (and stay mostly sober !) . Great forum and thanks in advance for any tips !
Actually thats quite smart as when you pay for a long stay rate in a guest house power/wifi/ water/cleaning are included in the base rate and coming into the hot season you will want AC full blast 24/7.
Good to see newbies onto it before they even arive.

BTW good luck staying sober in PP......
not all the time, ive started to see quite a few guesthouses which have electric meters for each room, im guessing for longstayers, water would be included though its rarely more than $2 per month
Yeh i recomend the OP just gove the owner 10 a day then have AC 24 hours a day that way that cant say shit about the bill coz your gone to the next place.
You know 75 USD is a average bill for my neighbour last month.
at my new place my bills come to around 20-30$ depending on how much i use the aircon,
i do remember one of my neighbors in my last apartments last year accidently racked up a $200 electric bill :facepalm:
While you were paying 3-4$. I hope He/She took your room with the faulty meter when you moved out.
Alot of the newer guesthouses have ind. meters now and will insist on it for long stay deals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], wolfcreek and 123 guests