How long is long stay ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by mauser765 »

My comments in red. Click on the spoiler.
General Mackevili wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:18 am
Spoiler:
I've been teaching for damn near 10 years, so I'm not knocking the "profession," but studying to "teach" doesn't "make" you a better "teacher."

I think studying how to teach definitely makes you a better teacher, just like reading up on developing medicine makes a doctor more informed.

Some people are natural teachers, and some aren't.

I've learned a lot of valuable things in life, and believe it or not, most of the best stuff I've learned didn't come from qualified teachers.

What did you learn from K1 to 12? And university? Nada? :)

To think anyone needs to have a "teaching" qualification to teach others something is ridiculous.

Rosetta Stone is proof you don't even need a teacher.

Rosetta Stone is mostly aimed at independent learning. Most schools you or I attended rely mostly on instructed learning. So yes, you could learn English or maths or science without a teacher, but at some stage you would have questions that a computer couldn't help you with. Could a computer teach you literature or grade literary analysis? I don't think so, not when you or I went to school, perhaps in the future.

I learned Indonesian with nothing more than a few shitty dictionaries.

Oh come on, tell us about The Sleeping Dictionary! ;)

So yes, certain backpackers could replace certain qualified teachers, and vice versa, of course.

You're completely ignoring the factor of commitment. most backpackers teach to earn money fro dread-locks or beer, or at best their trip to the Cardamoms to walk where pol Pot walked.

Experience and qualifications can of course improve one's teaching skills, but to think there are no good teachers in the world who aren't qualified is just silly.

You take your moral guidance from someone who was a carpenter by trade, not from someone who had a master's degree in theology, right?

Uh, he was both.

To think people who are qualified teachers are always best for the job is nonsense.

I doubt anybody claims they are always best. Perhaps usually?

I don't see anything naive about that.

It reminds me of some Americans who complain about Mexicans walking over the border and taking their jobs. If a Mexican who doesn't even speak the local language, who has no degree nor documents of any kind can walk over and take YOUR job, you have a job that requires next to no skills, LoL. Don't be mad at the person who can do your job, be mad at yourself for only being qualified to do a job that someone without your qualifications can also do. Image
You're assuming the employer in Cambodia cares about the quality of delivery. In the US, the owner cares, because it's his home/kids etc. IN Cambodia all they want is a paleface. In the US, they want the job done properly, even it is menial. Here they don't care.
Nice rant.

You realise I was trolling you, right? I'm ba-ack!
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic