How long is long stay ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:18 am
Spoiler:
I've been teaching for damn near 10 years, so I'm not knocking the "profession," but studying to "teach" doesn't "make" you a better "teacher."

Some people are natural teachers, and some aren't.

I've learned a lot of valuable things in life, and believe it or not, most of the best stuff I've learned didn't come from qualified teachers.

To think anyone needs to have a "teaching" qualification to teach others something is ridiculous.

Rosetta Stone is proof you don't even need a teacher.

I learned Indonesian with nothing more than a few shitty dictionaries.

So yes, certain backpackers could replace certain qualified teachers, and vice versa, of course.

Experience and qualifications can of course improve one's teaching skills, but to think there are no good teachers in the world who aren't qualified is just silly.

You take your moral guidance from someone who was a carpenter by trade, not from someone who had a master's degree in theology, right?

To think people who are qualified teachers are always best for the job is nonsense.

I don't see anything naive about that.

It reminds me of some Americans who complain about Mexicans walking over the border and taking their jobs. If a Mexican who doesn't even speak the local language, who has no degree nor documents of any kind can walk over and take YOUR job, you have a job that requires next to no skills, LoL. Don't be mad at the person who can do your job, be mad at yourself for only being qualified to do a job that someone without your qualifications can also do. Image
Nice rant.

You realise I was trolling you, right? I'm ba-ack!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

Hey hey hey, I agree with both GM and Kyle here. Some are natural teachers and sometimes someone with the credentials are terrible teachers. We've all had terrible teachers in school. Don't let this little argument distract us from how bad the OPs grammar was. He better be one charismatic motherfuckwr to be a good teacher.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote:
Spoiler:
I've been teaching for damn near 10 years, so I'm not knocking the "profession," but studying to "teach" doesn't "make" you a better "teacher."

I've learned a lot of valuable things in life, and believe it or not, most of the best stuff I've learned didn't come from qualified teachers.

To think anyone needs to have a "teaching" qualification to teach others something is ridiculous.

So yes, certain backpackers could replace certain qualified teachers, and vice versa, of course.

Experience and qualifications can of course improve one's teaching skills, but to think there are no good teachers in the world who aren't qualified is just silly.

You take your moral guidance from someone who was a carpenter by trade, not from someone who had a master's degree in theology, right?

To think people who are qualified teachers are always best for the job is nonsense.

It reminds me of some Americans who complain about Mexicans walking over the border and taking their jobs. If a Mexican who doesn't even speak the local language, who has no degree nor documents of any kind can walk over and take YOUR job, you have a job that requires next to no skills, LoL. Don't be mad at the person who can do your job, be mad at yourself for only being qualified to do a job that someone without your qualifications can also do. Image
Nice rant.

Damn. I need to take AE86's advice and just go to bed when it's time. :(
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

Nah stay awake, it gets real fun
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:17 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
Spoiler:

Nice rant.

Damn. I need to take AE86's advice and just go to bed when it's time. :(
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
jeff59
Tourist
United States of America

Post by jeff59 »

obama got a job for 8 years with 0 credentials ---
go figure--
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

jeff59 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:22 pm obama got a job for 8 years with 0 credentials ---
go figure--
????????What credentials were you expecting?
He previously served in the U.S. Senate representing Illinois from 2005 to 2008, and in the Illinois State Senate from 1997 to 2004.

After graduating from Columbia University in 1983, he worked as a community organizer in Chicago. In 1988 Obama enrolled in Harvard Law School, where he was the first black president of the Harvard Law Review. After graduation, he became a civil rights attorney and professor, teaching constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004.

Obama represented the 13th District for three terms in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004, when he ran for the U.S. Senate. Obama received national attention in 2004, with his unexpected March primary win, his well-received July Democratic National Convention keynote address, and his landslide November election to the Senate.

In 2008, Obama was nominated for president, a year after his campaign began, and after a close primary campaign against Hillary Clinton. He was elected over Republican John McCain, and was inaugurated on January 20, 2009. Nine months later, Obama was named the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize laureate.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Nobel Peace Prize...the irony.

Mind you, Kissinger got one, too.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

kyleincambo wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 10:42 pm Im not sure how to say this without downright punching you in the face metaphorically speaking, but what right do you have to teach Cambodian students just because you want a new life adventure or existence. Sure you can get a job with no credentials but how does that not completely dissrespect your students and Cambodia as a country. The kids of this country deserve an education just like you probably got. Let me ask you a question. Would you be ok with someone from another country teaching you who doesnt know your language just because they want to enjoy the fruits of your nation. HELL NO! I am here in Cambodia specifically so Cambodians can get a good education. I hate that blond haired blue eyed tall Westerners get a job teaching English because of that fact. Its down right despicable. Cambodians are amazing people that deserve better than that. I would like you to ask yourself are you ready to put the time into bettering yourself so you can improve a young Cambodians existence and future. Instead of thinking how am I going to be able to live cheap and drink cheap beer and live however the eff I want to maybe you shoudl ask how you can help a nation that genuinely needs help. This country is amazing and able to care for its own without some Westerner wanting a change of scenery. I dont want to be rude to you, but consider what you are trying to do. You have no credentials. Would you want someone teaching you with no credentials. Life should be more than how can I help myself like many on this forum are about. If you want to come here and enjoy this beautiful country, raise some money and budget for a certain time period. Party, drink, do what you want, but do not do it at Cambodians expense. PLEASE. People like you will continue to make it harder for Cambodia to recover from its past and become a thriving nation. Or consider learning the language, getting a basic teaching degree and actually putting the time in to improve Cambodians lives.
Race ( blonde blue , black , asian ) has its advantages and disadvantages through out the world . I had a good spanish teacher and she had no formal training . Good personality and she tried hard ,fun (aka beautiful) Certainly a better learning experience than an educated drone with no personality would have been . And teaching english an hour a day probably isnt (aint) gonna stop cambodia from becoming a thriving nation anytime soon . ....And the 4 -9 bucks a day (hour) made from teaching with a whiteskin resume would be evened out by the price gouging from venders and tuctuc drivers....because of that same white skin resume ....And ya learning the local language is a great idea . I strongly suggest "utalk' a teaching appliance online . Access to over 100 languages with revolutionary teaching style that makes learning a little easier . Free for simple words , 10 bucks a months for advanced , learning games , ect...........but i get your drift and there might be kindof a grey area there somewhere i suppose
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

iluvu wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:02 pm Hey hey hey, I agree with both GM and Kyle here. Some are natural teachers and sometimes someone with the credentials are terrible teachers. We've all had terrible teachers in school. Don't let this little argument distract us from how bad the OPs grammar was. He better be one charismatic motherfuckwr to be a good teacher.
hahaha no kidding ive since retired , the idea, and feel i did the right thing ( especially for the students) ....currently producing and working on a hostess bar reality tv show with a launch date of 2026
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic