How long is long stay ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: How long is long stay ?

Post by AE86 »

kyleincambo wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Interesting first post, welcome to CEO
-insert signature here
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

kyleincambo wrote:Im not sure how to say this without downright punching you in the face metaphorically speaking, but what right do you have to teach Cambodian students just because you want a new life adventure or existence. Sure you can get a job with no credentials but how does that not completely dissrespect your students and Cambodia as a country. The kids of this country deserve an education just like you probably got. Let me ask you a question. Would you be ok with someone from another country teaching you who doesnt know your language just because they want to enjoy the fruits of your nation. HELL NO! I am here in Cambodia specifically so Cambodians can get a good education. I hate that blond haired blue eyed tall Westerners get a job teaching English because of that fact. Its down right despicable. Cambodians are amazing people that deserve better than that. I would like you to ask yourself are you ready to put the time into bettering yourself so you can improve a young Cambodians existence and future. Instead of thinking how am I going to be able to live cheap and drink cheap beer and live however the eff I want to maybe you shoudl ask how you can help a nation that genuinely needs help. This country is amazing and able to care for its own without some Westerner wanting a change of scenery. I dont want to be rude to you, but consider what you are trying to do. You have no credentials. Would you want someone teaching you with no credentials. Life should be more than how can I help myself like many on this forum are about. If you want to come here and enjoy this beautiful country, raise some money and budget for a certain time period. Party, drink, do what you want, but do not do it at Cambodians expense. PLEASE. People like you will continue to make it harder for Cambodia to recover from its past and become a thriving nation. Or consider learning the language, getting a basic teaching degree and actually putting the time in to improve Cambodians lives.
Welcome to CEO.

To be honest, Kyle, without kicking you in the balls, it sounds like you're just bitter that you went to university to study to do a job that any Tom, Dick and Sally can do without your esteemed credentials.

If things like this upset you, you should have gone to university to study something that backpackers CANNOT do just as well as you.

That's fair, right?

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

keylinecambo, how do u know all this, I mean about this beautiful country, the beautiful people....etc etc? Have u travelled a lot, or first time away from home? And why would you get so spooled up about it? Them beautiful people in this beautiful country probably deserve visitors as relaxed as they come after all they have been through.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kyleincambo wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 10:42 pm Im not sure how to say this without downright punching you in the face metaphorically speaking, but what right do you have to teach Cambodian students just because you want a new life adventure or existence. Sure you can get a job with no credentials but how does that not completely dissrespect your students and Cambodia as a country. The kids of this country deserve an education just like you probably got. Let me ask you a question. Would you be ok with someone from another country teaching you who doesnt know your language just because they want to enjoy the fruits of your nation. HELL NO! I am here in Cambodia specifically so Cambodians can get a good education. I hate that blond haired blue eyed tall Westerners get a job teaching English because of that fact. Its down right despicable. Cambodians are amazing people that deserve better than that. I would like you to ask yourself are you ready to put the time into bettering yourself so you can improve a young Cambodians existence and future. Instead of thinking how am I going to be able to live cheap and drink cheap beer and live however the eff I want to maybe you shoudl ask how you can help a nation that genuinely needs help. This country is amazing and able to care for its own without some Westerner wanting a change of scenery. I dont want to be rude to you, but consider what you are trying to do. You have no credentials. Would you want someone teaching you with no credentials. Life should be more than how can I help myself like many on this forum are about. If you want to come here and enjoy this beautiful country, raise some money and budget for a certain time period. Party, drink, do what you want, but do not do it at Cambodians expense. PLEASE. People like you will continue to make it harder for Cambodia to recover from its past and become a thriving nation. Or consider learning the language, getting a basic teaching degree and actually putting the time in to improve Cambodians lives.
You sound a bit naive and pious, and seem to misunderstand the modern language teaching techniques. You do make some good points, but as far as I know there are plenty of qualified graduates looking for work here now so people like the OP with no experience won't find many openings, except perhaps at some of the worse factory schools.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:30 pm
kyleincambo wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 10:42 pm<some rage that I'm still not sure isn't trolling>
You sound a bit naive and pious, and seem to misunderstand the modern language teaching techniques. You do make some good points, but as far as I know there are plenty of qualified graduates looking for work here now so people like the OP with no experience won't find many openings, except perhaps at some of the worse factory schools.
And to be honest a certain mod is naive if he genuinely thinks that backpackers-cum-English-teachers are exactly the same as and can exactly replace qualified and experienced teachers, but we've had that discussion before. To be honest, with the aid of reasonable learning systems by Oxford, Pearson, and other publishing houses, pretty much any muppet from an English-speaking (or even American-speaking) background can do a reasonable job teaching English to ESL kids - it's more about personality, herd management, and, well, entertainment than actual academic practicum - and if I'm honest millennials are far more entertaining than me with my Masters and 20 years experience. If we stay being honest, no school in PP is really interested in learning, they're interested in making lots, and lots, and lots of money - entertained kids equals ongoing enrollments and growth, equals lots, and lots, and lots of money. This is the country where exam results are sold to high-school students just before the exams are handed out, remember?

What is also true, though, is that qualified/experienced teachers (that is, those with an actual teaching qualification, not a TESOL "certificate") get the big bucks ($1200 and over) with the perks - down-on-their-luck backpackers get base rate, no benefits.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:51 pm - and if I'm honest millennials are far more entertaining than me with my Masters and 20 years experience...
Entertaining yes, but taken seriously?

On that tangent, my nephew is just graduating high school, and while he's pretty good at speaking English I'm learning he's feeling a bit dejected on how "useless" his teachers have been over the last 12 years. While some kids might know some English here and there, I'm wondering if the school bubble is going to pop eventually because the kids begin to wake up and realise that school isn't doing them any favours and is vastly overpriced, just like what is happening in the U.S. with the useless degrees being offered and kids coming out dumber than when they went in.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:51 pm - and if I'm honest millennials are far more entertaining than me with my Masters and 20 years experience...
Entertaining yes, but taken seriously?

On that tangent, my nephew is just graduating high school, and while he's pretty good at speaking English I'm learning he's feeling a bit dejected on how "useless" his teachers have been over the last 12 years. While some kids might know some English here and there, I'm wondering if the school bubble is going to pop eventually because the kids begin to wake up and realise that school isn't doing them any favours and is vastly overpriced, just like what is happening in the U.S. with the useless degrees being offered and kids coming out dumber than when they went in.
I think the schools bubble has popped - in that overseas sponsors (governments, companies, individuals) are now aware of how ineffective schooling here actually is, how corrupt the examinations are, and what a waste the donated dollars are. This led to the "it's now a crime to cheat on exams or help someone cheat on exams" spectacle of two years ago - a hollow act to demonstrate to foreigners "hey look, we're doing what you expect, so stop withholding our aid money now." And we know exactly how long the "it's illegal to cheat" praka lasted.

What is happening, though, is that the big-named schools are now ramping prices without justification - I had a discussion with one parent of children at a big-four school just in the last month who said the school is ramping the price by 20% but can't demonstrate any additional value for that 20%, and in fact the parent can demonstrate where services have dramatically fallen in the past 2 years. When school fees at the big-four are over $1,000 USD per child per month, you'd seriously have to question what you're getting for your money.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 12:10 am When school fees at the big-four are over $1,000 USD per child per month, you'd seriously have to question what you're getting for your money.
Good night, I didn't know it was that much. Seriously, that's criminal and these f**kers need to burn.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 12:17 am
StroppyChops wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 12:10 am When school fees at the big-four are over $1,000 USD per child per month, you'd seriously have to question what you're getting for your money.
Good night, I didn't know it was that much. Seriously, that's criminal and these f**kers need to burn.
That's the median for the big-four (and no, I'm not going to name them and endure the storm of "oh but you don't understand") before the 20% hike at one of them, to be phased in over the next two months. Your country's aid dollars at work, good people.

As I said to the colleague that was complaining to me, if you took those thousand-dollar-a-month-per-child budgets, imagine the change you could effect in this country if applied to all kids in Cambodia.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I'm actually quite against any aid being given to any country unless it's a type of business startup aid like a "short term" loan (3-5 years low interest), but even then it get's iffy. I've seen how badly welfare cities turn in such a short time (think Chicago and Detroit), so while it might sound cruel, I think the best thing for Cambodia would be a swift cutting of the cord, letting the overbloated beer belly bureaucrats slim down and let the hard working entrepreneurs take over and create their own prosperity. Maybe keep visa entries on the easy side so would be aspiring business owners from wealthier countries could jump in and help start the economy going with their own capital, but that's really it.

I'm not sure it'll work here as well given the average work ethic of many people, but as for Japan and Korea, things have taken off immensely since they were bombed into oblivion not that much longer in the past than Cambodia.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic