Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9465
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1796
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:10 am

Digg3r wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:32 am
StroppyChops wrote:, but almost EVERY computer place in the kingdom will wipe your hard drive if they get a chance. It's a game they play.
Standard practise everywhere. Time is money and data recovery is expensive. It's not a game. Given that only an idiot would not schedule regular backups why would it matter?
StroppyChops wrote:I take my hard drives out before sending a machine out for any work,
now that would make reinstalling the OS difficult wouldn't it? Not really relevant for the OP.



Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk
LOL

i'd say without a hard drive 100% impossible to install the operating system... :beer3:

Anytime before u reinstall an op system, u'd always want to wipe the hard drive & reformat the HD so ur starting with a blank hard drive

One reason very VERY IMPORTANT to do backups regularly
also set restore points manually.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by StroppyChops » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:39 am

Digg3r wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:32 am
StroppyChops wrote:I take my hard drives out before sending a machine out for any work,
now that would make reinstalling the OS difficult wouldn't it? Not really relevant for the OP.
I really appreciate you being around to correct and chastise me constantly - you make me feel like one of those historical figures that employ a guy to constantly tell him "you're just a man, you're just a man" so he doesn't get too arrogant. I know how much effort you're putting into this, so thanks.

I'm sorry I let you down as you needed me to be more precise, "I take the hard drives out unless I need work done on software." I hope that's clearer for you, I just thought the average poster would actually get that implication. Please do let me know where you think I'm wrong in the future, or if I haven't explained myself exactly to your preferences.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by StroppyChops » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 am

phuketrichard wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:10 am
LOL

i'd say without a hard drive 100% impossible to install the operating system... :beer3:
Hyuk hyuk! Very droll! Almost as funny as when Digr said it!

:beer3:
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
Posts: 3858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am
Reputation: 970
Location: Outside of Kampong Cham city
United States of America

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by taabarang » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:03 pm

SC it is futile to assume a certain modicom of sophistication on the part of cheap shot "artistes."!
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9465
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1796
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm

SC;
i am curious;
what work can u have done on a computer that does not need it to be turned on ( which without a HD cant be) and tested if it works??
If u install any hard ware, u need test it, which means u need hd and the software to do so.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by StroppyChops » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm
SC;
i am curious;
what work can u have done on a computer that does not need it to be turned on ( which without a HD cant be) and tested if it works??
If u install any hard ware, u need test it, which means u need hd and the software to do so.
A fair bit, actually. You can test the motherboard, RAM, power supply, and good/bad states on the graphics card. You can also boot the PC from a DVD or USB device for diagnostics purposes.

Devices need to work at a machine (mechanical) level before they even get close to working at an operating system (software) level, and the computer can report on this without the presence of an OS.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
Digg3r
Expatriate
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 8:55 pm
Reputation: 57
Korea North

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by Digg3r » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 pm

StroppyChops wrote:
Digg3r wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:32 am
StroppyChops wrote:I take my hard drives out before sending a machine out for any work,
now that would make reinstalling the OS difficult wouldn't it? Not really relevant for the OP.
I really appreciate you being around to correct and chastise me constantly - you make me feel like one of those historical figures that employ a guy to constantly tell him "you're just a man, you're just a man" so he doesn't get too arrogant. I know how much effort you're putting into this, so thanks.

I'm sorry I let you down as you needed me to be more precise, "I take the hard drives out unless I need work done on software." I hope that's clearer for you, I just thought the average poster would actually get that implication. Please do let me know where you think I'm wrong in the future, or if I haven't explained myself exactly to your preferences.
Perhaps you wish you could just moderate the forum. Our maybe just give me negative karma. As for being employed by you, fuck that. There isn't a high enough salary to work for a know it all such as yourself.

I guess you missed the point. A person with limited technical knowledge wants to get his os reinstalled. Your advice was to remove the storage first. Now I understood your action but someone who needs help to install an os might think you are correct in his particular circumstance. Which you are obviously not.

No need to get all passive aggressive about it.

Now Richard, all you need to achieve POST is a motherboard, CPU, RAM and power.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

User avatar
ceotroll
Tourist
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 am
Reputation: 2
Australia

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by ceotroll » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:58 am

This may sound like a stupid question, but why are we reinstalling Win 7 and not going all out for Win10? Is it a licensing thing, because if you end up at 99% of stores in PP, I'd bet a testicle on it not being legit....
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by vladimir » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:39 pm

I'd guess privacy issues...Win 8 was a total effup, almost anything would be better than 8.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
User avatar
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Posts: 11329
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am
Reputation: 2060
United States of America

Re: Reinstall Windows 7 on Laptop

Post by frank lee bent » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:55 pm

if the machine was built for win7 it is best to stick to it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests