Vietnam News & Discussion

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luigi
Expatriate

Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by Luigi »

Why not give an equal opportunity forum to our lovely neighbors to the east?
Maybe a slow start as they do not have the hedonistic venues of Bangkok or Pattaya but have much to offer. A diverse culture, delicious food, beautiful CLEAN cities & towns. Lovely ladies & friendly natives. Efficient airports & other transportation that run on time 90%.

On & on it goes.

Many of us travel there. What do you all think? :popcorn:
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by bolueeleh »

Luigi wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 pmas they do not have the hedonistic venues of Bangkok or Pattaya
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Not a bad idea Luigi. Hello Hanno!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Luigi wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 pmEfficient airports
Really? HCMC airport is way past its capacity and a couple of weeks ago it took me two hours to check in and go through immigration.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

hanno wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:09 am
Luigi wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 pmEfficient airports
Really? HCMC airport is way past its capacity and a couple of weeks ago it took me two hours to check in and go through immigration.
Really hanno, that's the best or worst case scenario against a VN forum? :facepalm:

Yes two hrs. is a lengthy process. Only used SGN aeroport 6 times & never more than 1 hr usually 1/2 hr domestic or international. Not including wait time once past all security check points. But it is only 6 kliks from elcentro.
Many many ports are 20 sometimes 30 klicks from town. SHV is 20 to the lions.

Anyway that would be a piss poor reason not to have a Vn forum. :hattip:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Don't get me wrong, as a lot of my work takes me to Vietnam (currently in Chau Doc) I am all for a Vietnam forum.

Nevertheless, flying into HCMC during high season has become an absolute nightmare. I believe the airport handled 24 million passengers last year, it was built to handle 15 - 17 million....... And I have taken well over an hour to get from District one to the airport, meaning that the Da Nang flight (50 minutes) actually takes a total of 4-5 hours of time door-to-door.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

As for other Viet forums:

1. Thaivisa's VN subforum is almost dead, as is the rest of it.
2. Pattaya-Addicts' is a mongers' board.
3. There are many FB "Expats in xxxxx Vietnam". Some are great, like the Hoi An-Da Nang one. Some like the HCMC ones are snake pits.
4. There are expats.com and Internations but there's barely any traffic and they're boring as f*ck.

Otherwise, there's not a single Viet forum worth the name.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Some like the HCMC ones are snake pits.
Agreed, I think many of its members have been in VN too long.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

when i started going to HCM about 8 years back, the immigration line is usually just 2 or 3 people deep (and that is with only 7 or 8 counters open) now all counters going at almost full tilt (with 20+ counters open) the line is 15+ people deep, other wise the prices increases by abt 10 to 20% (road side stalls) high end restaurants prices increases by abt 40 to 70% (maybe due to more exotic dishes available too i.e. Ume, foie gras etc)

all in all, u still can get loads of fun in HCM with only 20 to 30$ per day
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

bolueeleh wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 pm when i started going to HCM about 8 years back, the immigration line is usually just 2 or 3 people deep (and that is with only 7 or 8 counters open) now all counters going at almost full tilt (with 20+ counters open) the line is 15+ people deep, other wise the prices increases by abt 10 to 20% (road side stalls) high end restaurants prices increases by abt 40 to 70% (maybe due to more exotic dishes available too i.e. Ume, foie gras etc)

all in all, u still can get loads of fun in HCM with only 20 to 30$ per day
Was just in Saigon. Several places where we ate were as expensive as in Bangkok: Game On, l'Usine and Phatty's in Saigon. Meals were 180K-240K (250 to over 300 baht) for some rather ordinary western items. Kind of scared me off. Went to Vung Tau and came back to earth, with meals running 70K or thereabouts and beers 10K to 25K, and at Red Parrot, buy one, get one free, even prime liquors. Woohoo!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic