Vietnam News & Discussion

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by siliconlife »

mauser765 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:51 am Has the Fukushima spill affected fish off Vietnam? I'm pretty sure it must have. Would levels of toxicity be greater in Vietnam than, say, Australia, or the wets coast of the Americas?

Trying to get people to stop fishing so stocks can recover will be almost impossible without the use of military force, which will obviously destabilise many countries.
I think studies on this are as yet inconclusive from what I can tell, but the most reliable sources seem to say that it has spread mainly north and north west of japan through the Pacific, and has reach the west coast of the Americas but in quite small amounts, making most fish there safe to consume. There is so much information going around and a few whistle-blowing scams. The "reports" that it has completely affect the entire Pacific in dangerous quantities is total rubbish, I know that much. Maybe other users know more about this and can add or correct me, I have not looked into it in great depth.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Here's another interesting perspective. http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/fukushima.asp
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

This seems to be an answer that is a little less sensationalist than many other sites: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-F ... ific-Ocean

I also worry a lot more about lead, mercury and other heavy metals than radiation. I used to go swimming in the Mekong until a guy studying the piscifauna suggested I stop. Not because of all the households without sanitation, but because of the high levels of heavy metals (and pesticides).
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Let alone the sewage/ animal and human bodies/ factories dumping chemicals
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

I'd totally swim in Southeast Asian rivers! (If someone were shooting at me.)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

siliconlife wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:44 pm I'd totally swim in Southeast Asian rivers! (If someone were shooting at me.)
So would I:

saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Apparently Philippines has nice beaches , like that lagoon in the Pict.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

hanno wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:59 pm
siliconlife wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:44 pm I'd totally swim in Southeast Asian rivers! (If someone were shooting at me.)
So would I:

Photoshopped ones aside.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Real McCoy, I have been there. And I have swam in a very clean river on Borneo. But agreed, all the big rivers are best avoided; can't think of one that is clean.
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

In Indonesia, you don't have to worry about swimming in rivers.. You can just walk across them

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic