Vietnam News & Discussion

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
sigmoid
Expatriate
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:53 pm
Reputation: 233
Vietnam

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by sigmoid » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:16 pm

No exception for foreign ‘beg-packers’ on Vietnam streets: tourism director

The tourism director of the southern Vietnamese province of Kien Giang believes that Western beg-packers are intrinsically the same as local panhandlers.

Street begging is not allowed in Vietnam, and the rule applies to locals as well as foreigners, Tran Chi Dung, the Kien Giang tourism chief, told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Tuesday.

“No exception was to be made for foreign street beggars in Vietnam no matter how polite they appeared to be,” he said.



Image

Dung was referring to a recent photo posted on Facebook of a foreign woman meditating on a pavement on Kien Giang’s Phu Quoc Island, with a note written in Vietnamese placed in front of her that reads “meditate for luck, need money.”

Full article:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/2017 ... 40927.html
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 5156
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1415
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by hanno » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:23 pm

There are heaps of these idiots in Vietnam now, FB is awash with photos.
User avatar
AndyKK
Expatriate
Posts: 3391
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am
Reputation: 1087
Great Britain

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by AndyKK » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Shame a pretty girl like that has to resort to begging to have a nice holiday.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 11535
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 2942
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by Username Taken » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm

"Om money padme hum".
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
AndyKK
Expatriate
Posts: 3391
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am
Reputation: 1087
Great Britain

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by AndyKK » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Username Taken wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm
"Om money padme hum".
Like it! Remember it from years ago :bow:

Always "hope" but never "expect".
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11696
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2952
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by phuketrichard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 pm

sigmoid wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:16 pm
No exception for foreign ‘beg-packers’ on Vietnam streets: tourism director

The tourism director of the southern Vietnamese province of Kien Giang believes that Western beg-packers are intrinsically the same as local panhandlers.

Street begging is not allowed in Vietnam, and the rule applies to locals as well as foreigners, Tran Chi Dung, the Kien Giang tourism chief, told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Tuesday.

“No exception was to be made for foreign street beggars in Vietnam no matter how polite they appeared to be,” he said.



Image

Dung was referring to a recent photo posted on Facebook of a foreign woman meditating on a pavement on Kien Giang’s Phu Quoc Island, with a note written in Vietnamese placed in front of her that reads “meditate for luck, need money.”

Full article:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/2017 ... 40927.html
:thumb: :thumb:

Hope Thailand follows suit

Unrelated but a great doc to watch on the last days before SV fell;

https://kickass.unblocked.pub/last-days ... 71053.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
sigmoid
Expatriate
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:53 pm
Reputation: 233
Vietnam

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by sigmoid » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:30 pm

hanno wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:23 pm
There are heaps of these idiots in Vietnam now, FB is awash with photos.
They're coming for all the delicious street food :thumb:
User avatar
sigmoid
Expatriate
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:53 pm
Reputation: 233
Vietnam

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by sigmoid » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 am

Here's the follow up to that story:


Vietnam officials flummoxed by Russian beggar on popular tourist island

Officials in Vietnam's southern island resort of Phu Quoc are consulting provincial police and foreign affairs officials on how to deal with a Russian woman who has been begging on the street in recent days, an act deemed illegal under Vietnamese law.

Phu Quoc officials said they have found a place for her to stay temporarily, but they do not know what to do with her next.

She said she has been begging her way through Cambodia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand, spending the nights in parks or jungles and begging for money during the days to pay for food and other goods.

They also mention "the infamous German beggar Benjamin Holst".

Full story:
http://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietna ... 25415.html
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 5156
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1415
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by hanno » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 am

There was an article on Holst in "Der Spiegel", he is currently begging in Germany to make enough money to head to South America. He said Asian girls do not like him because of his leg.
User avatar
sigmoid
Expatriate
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:53 pm
Reputation: 233
Vietnam

Re: Vietnam News & Discussion

Post by sigmoid » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:21 pm

hanno wrote: There was an article on Holst in "Der Spiegel", he is currently begging in Germany to make enough money to head to South America. He said Asian girls do not like him because of his leg.
Ha ha! :D Can't keep a good man down. At least he's got some kind of genuine disability.

This Russian woman is able-bodied, to say the least. tongue :love10:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Carnage5351, Felgerkarb, flea, John Bingham, Johno35, nemo, SternAAlbifrons, yongchi and 334 guests