Beekeeping for Beginners

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Beekeeping for Beginners

Post by frank lee bent »

Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Beekeeping for Beginners

Post by taabarang »

Frank, thank you for a highly interesting and professionally impressive website. I'm interested but have to see what the other half thinks.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Thanks for the kind words.
Course delivery will be in Khmer and English.
All being well, a bee hive can produce 20-50 kg of honey per year in a suitable environment with proper management.
A beehive costs around $300 for a 20 frame double Langstroth hive. the first hive can be split into 4 more hives over the course of six months if you feed the bees.

Honey collection season runs sept- march. the intervening period can be used to increase stocks by feeding sugar syrup and pollen. By producing your own new beehives during this period your cost per hive can drop to perhaps $150.
Pure honey finds a ready market at $19-20 kg which is in line with average world retail price. the market is in short supply and honey easily sold.

Khmers are rushing into this now the equipment is available. A few guys went over and trained with the Vietnamese bee keepers where the industry is very successful.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I had about 50 plus hives on the farm in NZ. Mostly Manuka [ teatree ] honey and I did not requeen the hives,, letting them revert to a native black and very nasty bee that would attack you even if you were within 100 m of the hives.. But in rainy weather these bees were out working , unlike the requeened Italian hives that were even so timid they could not fight off the big waikato wasps that invaded the hives.

I bought 3 books back to Cambodia encase someone in the family might get interested in having bee hives , and I'm hoping a 14 year old boy in the village might get interested one day.

News item from the PP Post a few years ago.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Just completed the 2nd introduction to beekeeping field day. It was fully booked, and we will be starting a beekeeping club here in Phnom Penh

I have had some good success queen rearing, you can read about it here:
http://biologiccambodia.com/bees/queen- ... -cambodia/
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Second run of queen bees, i have gone from 23 hives to 31 this week if all my current mating hives take.
then there is this next lot of queen cells to find nucleus frames for
I made some 5 frame nucleus hives for mating queens and shipping nucs to customers

i do not know how but some of these cunt bees end up in bed with me about twice a week and sting about 3 AM.
so far only on the finger. but i may start wearing jammies to bed.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Oh my god this look so great!

If I'm ever out that way would it be possible to check out your erm bee farm? I do love bees, so interesting.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:53 pm Second run of queen bees, i have gone from 23 hives to 31 this week if all my current mating hives take.
I made some 5 frame nucleus hives for mating queens and shipping nucs to customers

i do not know how but some of these cunt bees end up in bed with me about twice a week and sting about 3 AM.
I hate seeing all those [ 99 ] Queen bees , so have given another Queen bee. [ karma point ] 100 looks so much better.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

visitors welcome. you could bring me a bottle of Stoli
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:53 pm Second run of queen bees, i have gone from 23 hives to 31 this week if all my current mating hives take.

i do not know how but some of these cunt bees end up in bed with me about twice a week
and sting about 3 AM.
I like to think that for every bad mod decision you make, you get 10 bee stings. :hattip:

Glad it all seems to be going well :thumb:
See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic