Police Tell Penniless French Backpacker Chick to Stop Begging in the Streets of Kampot

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Police Tell Penniless French Backpacker Chick to Stop Begging in the Streets of Kampot

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:55 pm It was probably cool to be called a 'chick' in the 1960's - 70's. A bit dated now in the times of #Metoo.
#MeToo hasn't reached Cambodia yet.

Here you can still call a girl a 'moan thmey'.
theres a gender equality issue in the world in 2018.

women are higher than men.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Police Tell Penniless French Backpacker Chick to Stop Begging in the Streets of Kampot

Post by Anchor Moy »

Алина Анисимов wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:20 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:07 pm yeah typical trashpacker

Sounds as if you have never been hungry and if you have you have forgotten quickly. You don't know her story maybe she's lost 15 kilos since she's been in Cambodia who knows. But one thing I must say is, this constant I'm better than these people post are so boring I've just given up. Who cares not me.
There's something dysfunctional about people from rich countries begging in poor countries. What a typical westerner will spend for one meal in Cambodia equals the daily budget of many families. This is an approximation, but many families are living on about $3 a day and sometimes less.

Sure, sometimes people get in trouble and need help. But this is not about being better or worse than these western beggars.It's not about feeling superior. It's about the rich begging from the poor. No matter how poor you are as a westerner, you are richer than most Cambodians.

We know, for example, that a French person like this woman, has a huge social security network that will help her in her own country and help her pay for food, housing and medical bills, which is not the case for Cambodians.
This woman is probably safe back 'home' in France now. The Cambodians who gave her their money are still here. And still as poor.
Don't you see any moral problem with this ?
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Sounds as if you have never been hungry and if you have you have forgotten quickly. You don't know her story maybe she's lost 15 kilos since she's been in Cambodia who knows. But one thing I must say is, this constant I'm better than these people post are so boring I've just given up. Who cares not me.
There's something dysfunctional about people from rich countries begging in poor countries. What a typical westerner will spend for one meal in Cambodia equals the daily budget of many families. This is an approximation, but many families are living on about $3 a day and sometimes less.

Sure, sometimes people get in trouble and need help. But this is not about being better or worse than these western beggars.It's not about feeling superior. It's about the rich begging from the poor. No matter how poor you are as a westerner, you are richer than most Cambodians.

We know, for example, that a French person like this woman, has a huge social security network that will help her in her own country and help her pay for food, housing and medical bills, which is not the case for Cambodians.
This woman is probably safe back 'home' in France now. The Cambodians who gave her their money are still here. And still as poor.

so being able to live on welfare is rich.......

last time I checked poverty level fortnightly checks, homeless shelters food parcels and crappy free medical sucks ass.
dk_mrniceguy
Tourist
Denmark

Post by dk_mrniceguy »

What is your experience...

are the police harder on foreigners or the opposite??
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Was she begging from poor Cambodians? Or rich western tourists? Or the many rich Cambodians?
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I kinda get what AM says. Immediate response would be; if the Khmer could go to Europe on a holiday and beg in the streets. There would be no Khmer.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: RE: Re: Police Tell Penniless French Backpacker Chick to Stop Begging in the Streets of Kampot

Post by markd »

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/83 ... nth-Amatus

this should take your mind off political madness
apparently theres a 'nasty' setting so you can call her names...right?

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:26 am
cptrelentless wrote:Chicks don't like you calling them "chicks" any more. You're stuck in the nineties. Apparently.
I assumed she'd be more upset about us calling her a backpacker, or even French.

Can't call them chicks. Can't call them girls. Can't call them ma'am because it might make them feel old. Can't call them darling or you might catch a sexual harassment charge. What the fuck is going on? What should I say to be politically correct in 2017?

Apparently I can't even tell them that my name is Hugh M!?!?

[YouTube]s9ImSupXt3g[/YouTube]

Can I still say "hello" to them or not? Image

[YouTube]WpvnO0p9KvU[/YouTube]
thru shit to more shit
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:47 pm
so being able to live on welfare is rich.......

last time I checked poverty level fortnightly checks, homeless shelters food parcels and crappy free medical sucks ass.
:facepalm: :please:
Oh have a day off! Yes, a person living in a country that has access to welfare is comparably richer than a Cambodian with no job or income. The main, and fucking obvious, point being that they don't have access to welfare.

I will happily be corrected if you inform me that a Cambodian has access to $1,000 a month plus free housing through government benefits.

Food parcels aren't great, but I assume it is better than starving.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

cambodians can work, theres jobs available.

same in australia, theres lots of work available.

cambodians often rely on family instead in hard times.
Steven
Expatriate
France

Post by Steven »

Those people are just parasite, we have a lot of them in France.

If she wanted the 500 euro for her plane ticket would buy her one year of university in France, there are also industries lacking qualified workers who would pay her for learning the job.

She is begging because it is her way of life, not out of necessity, doing it in a third world country is just sick.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic