Bus PP to Sville - tuk tuk scam at gas station

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Otis
Expatriate

Bus PP to Sville - tuk tuk scam at gas station

Post by Otis »

I took the bus down to Sville last week. It was Golden Bayon. As the bus approaches Svillel it turns left at the big gas station as all buses do. It lets off a few passengers that want to get off there.

There are a bunch of tuk tuk and moto guys that hang out there to get those customers. As we were stopped one of the tuk tuk guys stepped into the door of the bus and said tuk tuk to Otres Beach. He was trying to trick the barang who'd never been there before into getting off at the gas station and taking his tuk tuk to Otres. This of course is a much longer way than staying on the bus until it makes its last stop in Ocheteal. Or if it was a Sorya bus it wouldn't go all the way to Ocheteal but would go much further in that direction anyway. And the gas station is quite isolated and would leave anyone who got off there with very little choice.

A couple of girls where about to get off the bus and take the bait but I signaled them not to do so and they didn't. As the bus pulled out of the gas station at least one of it tuk tuk guys flipped me the bird.

The thing that really pissed me off was that the bus driver was entirely willing to cooperate with the tuk tuk guy and didn't warn the girls and looked at them as if, well are you getting off the bus? And this is Golden Bayon one of the more expensive bus companies.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Bus PP to Sville - tuk tuk scam at gas station

Post by bolueeleh »

becoz it goes both ways, the tuks tuks will also feed customers to the bus driver, where the driver could pocket the fares
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

hardly a scam is it

if the idiots who get off dont do some basic forward planning then they get what they deserve

if it was me i would let the snowflakes get scammed so at least they learn
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Otis wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm I took the bus down to Sville last week. It was Golden Bayon. As the bus approaches Svillel it turns left at the big gas station as all buses do. It lets off a few passengers that want to get off there.

There are a bunch of tuk tuk and moto guys that hang out there to get those customers. As we were stopped one of the tuk tuk guys stepped into the door of the bus and said tuk tuk to Otres Beach. He was trying to trick the barang who'd never been there before into getting off at the gas station and taking his tuk tuk to Otres. This of course is a much longer way than staying on the bus until it makes its last stop in Ocheteal. Or if it was a Sorya bus it wouldn't go all the way to Ocheteal but would go much further in that direction anyway. And the gas station is quite isolated and would leave anyone who got off there with very little choice.

A couple of girls where about to get off the bus and take the bait but I signaled them not to do so and they didn't. As the bus pulled out of the gas station at least one of it tuk tuk guys flipped me the bird.

The thing that really pissed me off was that the bus driver was entirely willing to cooperate with the tuk tuk guy and didn't warn the girls and looked at them as if, well are you getting off the bus? And this is Golden Bayon one of the more expensive bus companies.
This needs to be posted on Lonely Planet, Agoda and anywhere else that young people coming here see. No point posting it on CEO really, as you will probably get a lot of people saying serves them right. Disgusting behavior that gives Cambodians, often deservedly, a bad reputation.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Life on the bus....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Stop being a pleb and get a taxi, it's only $45 to Shv, or you can sit on the driver's lap for $5
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

hardly a scam is it - YES IT IS

if the idiots who get off dont do some basic forward planning then they get what they deserve
if it was me i would let the snowflakes get scammed so at least they learn

"Snowflakes"? pure stupid malice
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

This needs to be posted on Lonely Planet, Agoda and anywhere else that young people coming here see

Done. On Trip Advisor.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

becoz it goes both ways, the tuks tuks will also feed customers to the bus driver, where the driver could pocket the fares

No. There were no people getting on the bus there and there never are.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Otis wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:20 pm This needs to be posted on Lonely Planet, Agoda and anywhere else that young people coming here see

Done. On Trip Advisor.
Well done :thumb:
I don't think I've ever even looked at those sites, but I know a lot of people do because I hear them mentioning them all the time. I'm more of a book a plane ticket and have a very rough plan kind of guy.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic