Question Regarding Marriage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
johnnycanuck2017
Tourist

Question Regarding Marriage

Post by johnnycanuck2017 »

Hello everyone,

I plan to get married to my Cambodian fiancee in December, however, I have some questions, I have read the articles about the process for marriage to a Cambodian to a foreigner, but sadly I cannot marry in Cambodia because I do not meet the requirement of $2,500 USD a month salary which is like $3200 CDN a month, so the only options I can think of are marrying in Singapore (which is expensive but only requires passports and birth certificates for the both of us) or trying to marry in Thailand or Malaysia, the problem is that I am sure the Thai government will require a freedom to marry certificate from my fiance which I am sure the Cambodian Embassy is not too keen on issuing, but if she got the Freedom to marry (or Single Status Certificate) from her local Sangkat and took it with her, does anyone have any experience with if the Thai authorities would accept it? any help or wisdom anyone could shed on this would be greatly appreciated, weddings are stressful....this just makes it even more stressful thank you all for your time :)
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Question Regarding Marriage

Post by cptrelentless »

You have to get the certificate of no impediment locally for both of you, embassy does not issue this, they only confirm its validity.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Oh and it's the easiest one to lie about the wages one, just print something out yourself. They only need a letter and no-one is going to phone your boss and ask. Steal some headed notepaper from work
johnnycanuck2017
Tourist

Post by johnnycanuck2017 »

I guess that is what I am worried about that I would get caught, or that they would find out or something :) also does it just have to be one sheet that states I make $2500 USD like a single paystub or something? haha I guess plan b is I can always run away to Singapore, haha :)
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Actually they prefer a letter to a payslip. Our HR dept doesn't hand that sort of thing out, any way. I used my annual benefits letter
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

also one of you will have to stay in singapore for four weeks prior to making an appointment
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

cptrelentless wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm Oh and it's the easiest one to lie about the wages one, just print something out yourself. They only need a letter and no-one is going to phone your boss and ask. Steal some headed notepaper from work
This, an official looking letter, signed by your "employer", stating that you earn $2500 p/mth. Neither the MoFAIC or MoI actually check, they just want to see something official looking.

I have posted a detailed guide on the marriage process over on K440 which explains the whole process, which is extremely simple and inexpensive, will post a link later for you.

If you marry abroad, it will not be recognized by the Cambodian authorities.

EDIT: here is the link with the guide...

[Khmer440 link removed.]
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

johnnycanuck2017 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:16 am Hello everyone,

I plan to get married to my Cambodian fiancee in December, however, I have some questions, I have read the articles about the process for marriage to a Cambodian to a foreigner, but sadly I cannot marry in Cambodia because I do not meet the requirement of $2,500 USD a month salary which is like $3200 CDN a month, so the only options I can think of are marrying in Singapore (which is expensive but only requires passports and birth certificates for the both of us) or trying to marry in Thailand or Malaysia, the problem is that I am sure the Thai government will require a freedom to marry certificate from my fiance which I am sure the Cambodian Embassy is not too keen on issuing, but if she got the Freedom to marry (or Single Status Certificate) from her local Sangkat and took it with her, does anyone have any experience with if the Thai authorities would accept it? any help or wisdom anyone could shed on this would be greatly appreciated, weddings are stressful....this just makes it even more stressful thank you all for your time :)

The CPP government bought these laws in to save people like you from your own stupidity, and now you want to pull down the safety fence and jump over the cliff.

Let's start a '' go fund me '' campaign to save johnnycanuck.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:25 pm
If you marry abroad, it will not be recognized by the Cambodian authorities.
Where do you get this? Do you mean also if you marry in your home country and then try legalizing it in Cambodia? Because I have heard totally opposite from a local lawyer who says its been done before, and it's easy to do as well as cheap.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

^ a statement was released by the Minister of Interior several years back stating this. Things may have changed, I'm sure it may be possible with $$$.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic