Question Regarding Marriage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Question Regarding Marriage

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

New Kid, once you've received the Authorisation to marry letter from the MoI, you both need to go to the to Sangkat where you're wife is registered to apply for and pay for the marriage certificate, as signatures/ thumb prints are required from both of you.

There is no requirement to meet with the Sangkat Chief or police as part of this process... Read the guide I posted, it is very clear and straightforward.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Can confirm what PSD_Kiwi says above. A 20k riel fee and 15 minutes at the sangkat office to do the paperwork and thumb stamps.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

cptrelentless wrote: It was $100 at the local Sangkat to sign the register. That shitweasel with the glasses at the MFAIC took a $1200 bribe off of me, although they did get it done in a month. And then three weeks more to correct the mistakes. Plus $300 to the MI for my wife's hookey birth certificate. $60 for the blood test, and 50 fucking dollars from the UK embassy to photocopy my passport ID page. You abject cunts.
A "fixer" seems better i.e. convenience. The fee you pay also includes bribes, at least mine did. Didn't pay anything except to the local Sangkat, and US Embassy (Another $100, 2 things notarized).
newkidontheblock wrote: Did you personally have to go to the Sangkat and sign? Or can your wife just go down with the paperwork? Also did you have to go meet the village chief and police as well? I'm trying to get an idea of the number of trips I need to go to get it all done.
We didn't have to go down there. Her father took care of it for us.

MoFA - 1 trip (3 Trips just to pick up stuff from a guy that worked there had did things for us)
Hospital - 1 trip (For STD/HIV test)
MoI - 1 trip
Local Sangkat - 2 trips (possibly 3; first to police station after they are informed about you marrying from MoI, second to drop off letters to some government people, and third to the police closest to her village.
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:36 pm How much did you have to pay the fixer, and how long did it all take?

I am constantly hearing of people paying $1k +++ using a fixer (the average price I usually hear is about $4k!)...stupid really as the process is so bloody simple and inexpensive.

The Sangkat well and truly ripped you off didn't they, $200! Cheeky bastards!
For our guy it cost $1,900. From start to finish it was 1 month. It maybe simple in inexpensive but I paid for the convenience. Plus I had just came back from working in the dessert and had "hoped" to get her a tourist visa before my bi-yearly trip home, didn't work out btw. Ya the Sangkat really did, her father was pissed at them. He knows and is friends with the closets police station but the paperwork from the MoI went to another station further up the road. No one he knew there. We also had to go to the closest one her father knew well and paid 10k riel as a tip I think, that's it. At least we had 3 gun carrying police officers to keep us safe during the wedding..... Oh also we had to go back to another government building near the local village to drop off some sealed envelopes, didn't pay anything but I never found out exactly what it was for.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I didn't voluntarily pay a bribe, I was sat in the office at the MFAIC and he gave me an envelope and said "That'll be $1200". I didn't fancy another $1000 round trip whilst he binned my paperwork and he'd already jerked me around three times not giving me the right paperwork and moaning about my documents.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Isn't that the typical problem with bribes? It's usually not offered as a choice. I doubt CPT was feeling generous that day and just offered up the money like, "does any of you fine gentlemen want $1,200, let me know?"
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Lol I don't think anyone thought CPT would voluntarily pay it. "Hey I need some tea money" "Here you go, this outta cover it!".

That's the thing, in my experience, with a fixer is the brides are prepaid and prearranged by the contact inside the MoFA/MoI. They've been informed you're coming and you're given paperwork in hand.

A guy that got married before me there that I know, had about the same thing. Maybe not over $1k but close to it. The inside contact meet us outside the respective Ministry buildings each time and told my wife what ever she needed to say or do.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thanks PSD-Kiwi and the Peck. So probably 5 trips, maybe 6. And bring around $2000 for the fees and bribes. Got it.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

think im just going to have a monk wedding, this sounds like a headache lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:33 am think im just going to have a monk wedding, this sounds like a headache lol
haha it is, repeated trip to ministries, province & the fixer. When we finally got the actual marriage license I asked him several times if "this is it". Something always seemed to come up to go here or there. But if you ever want to take her back home, you'll have to do this anyway.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Follow the guide I posted the link to...its Simple as fuck and inexpensive...all in less than $500!

New Kid, you will not need $2000 if you follow the guide I posted!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic