What percentage of Cambodia is middle-class now?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

What percentage of Cambodia is middle-class now?

Post by juansweetpotato »

What percentage of Cambodia can be deemed as middle class by local standards now?

Is it as high as 40% yet?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Re: What percentage of Cambodia is middle-class now?

Post by boozyoldman »

Maybe 25% are plausibly "middle class" and 10% to 15% still really direly poor - but who defines these things?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Maybe 25% are plausibly "middle class" and 10% to 15% still really direly poor - but who defines these things

Yes who does. Not only is there the question of hidden agendas bit also the issue of unreported income, primarily illegal but also legal. For example look at the reported income of the Prime Minister.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Is it safe to assume that if someone in the village has a new walled in base to their house and a Honda Dream or other bike around $2000, that they could be deemed middle-class by Cambodian standards? How many houses in your village are like this now?

Don't you think that any money made - both illegal and legal - would be on display?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Very difficult to gauge. Phnom Penh is quite different from the countryside in terms of what can be called middle-class. However, a lot of people in the countryside are doing quite well.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Everywhere you look, there's a newly-delivered pile of sand and a truckload of bricks; the vast majority of people are getting better-off or - at worse - are
getting no poorer.

This disguises the areas of poverty. If you take the direct road from Siem Reap to Tbaeng Meanchey a.k.a. Preah Vihear City, you pass through an area of
conspicuous rural poverty - houses are shoeboxes on short legs with no electric wires or blue plastic piping visible. Bicycles rather than gleaming Hondas
and Suzukis are the norm.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

boozyoldman wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 am Everywhere you look, there's a newly-delivered pile of sand and a truckload of bricks; the vast majority of people are getting better-off or - at worse - are
getting no poorer.

This disguises the areas of poverty. If you take the direct road from Siem Reap to Tbaeng Meanchey a.k.a. Preah Vihear City, you pass through an area of
conspicuous rural poverty - houses are shoeboxes on short legs with no electric wires or blue plastic piping visible. Bicycles rather than gleaming Hondas
and Suzukis are the norm.
Judging by my ex-staff, a lot of these new house, motorbikes, and flash phones are paid on credit. Yes, there is a middle class, but I do not believe it is even close to 25% countrywide.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"but I do not believe it is even close to 25% countrywide."
The above quote is more reasonable. If all the above optimistic guesstimates were spot on how would you explain the ever increasing exodus of rural folk overseas where they scrimp and do without in order to send a welcome pittance home? Or get jobs in clothing factories or service industry that don't pay a living wage. You don't have to leave Phnom Penh to find rural poverty. Also, it is not all just off the main highways; try some of the back roads.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Also, it is not all just off the main highways; try some of the back roads.
This. Running all over the place makes me realize that you do not have to go far from Pub Street/River road/240 Street to see some very poor folks....
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

hanno wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:19 am Judging by my ex-staff, a lot of these new house, motorbikes, and flash phones are paid on credit. Yes, there is a middle class, but I do not believe it is even close to 25% countrywide.
I think the difference between, what looks to the casual observer as being middle class, and pretty much poverty is a very fine line. I would imagine all it would take were a loss of employment, serious illness etc within the family, to pretty much destroy all that they feel they have accomplished. The banks would also foreclose on their land when this happened, so they would have been more sensible to have saved any money than used bank loans etc .
Mind you, I think those house conversions are pretty sensible as far as theft, mosquitoes and rain are concerned.

I think you are right in presuming it is not even close to 25% yet - judging on the stats from the Cambodia's Curse book. I do think there must have been a shift from the majority living in absolute poverty towards to middle ground of being almost in absolute poverty though.
Let's not forget that a lot of people are struggling to eat prahok and meat though. The prices of commodities are pretty much through the roof and still leave around a third of all children here malnourished and stunted.

Still, my young landlord says his mum was saying that she has never known a time where she has been so well off here. That's even in Sihanouk's time. She does live in Siem Riep province though, and is of course Sino-Khmer.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic