What percentage of Cambodia is middle-class now?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: What percentage of Cambodia is middle-class now?

Post by AE86 »

juansweetpotato wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 pm
AE86 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 9:59 pm Truth be told, most Khmer I know that are "middle class" have their own business and don't do any kind of reporting to a bank or tax collector, so I don't see how there are any accurate stats kept on Khmer's "average" earnings.
Agreed,, so what are your estimates?

No idea, I think it's impossible to average things out, but here's some numbers I've collected from people I've talked to.

The man we buy soup rice from in the mourning told us a good day is $30, slow day $10-15

The 5 tuk tuk drivers that park on our street say $20-30 a day is "average". When I put them to the test, I asked if I could borrow their tuk tuk for the day so I could play with it (bike and all) and $20 was a good enough offer, so I take that as accurate.

The man who maintains our fleet of delivery vehicles makes at least a grand a month, because we rent one of our places to him for $450 a month and he sents $2-300 to his mother in Vietnam each month.

One seller I frequent at Russian market tells us things are slow now, but $10-15 a day is still virtually rock bottom. She owns her stall.

Those are some numbers from people I'd consider middle class.
-insert signature here
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

AE86 wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:45 pm
juansweetpotato wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 pm
AE86 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 9:59 pm Truth be told, most Khmer I know that are "middle class" have their own business and don't do any kind of reporting to a bank or tax collector, so I don't see how there are any accurate stats kept on Khmer's "average" earnings.
Agreed,, so what are your estimates?

No idea, I think it's impossible to average things out, but here's some numbers I've collected from people I've talked to.

The man we buy soup rice from in the mourning told us a good day is $30, slow day $10-15

The 5 tuk tuk drivers that park on our street say $20-30 a day is "average". When I put them to the test, I asked if I could borrow their tuk tuk for the day so I could play with it (bike and all) and $20 was a good enough offer, so I take that as accurate.

The man who maintains our fleet of delivery vehicles makes at least a grand a month, because we rent one of our places to him for $450 a month and he sents $2-300 to his mother in Vietnam each month.

One seller I frequent at Russian market tells us things are slow now, but $10-15 a day is still virtually rock bottom. She owns her stall.

Those are some numbers from people I'd consider middle class.
Yep, sounds about right. I think the rice soup seller is underestimating by at least $150, as I have been told the minium any shop normally makes, including those crappy little ones, in PP is $500 pm.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It all depends how you define middle class, this is from 2014 and sets the bar fairly low, although this is just about daily expenses rather than salaries.:
The World Bank in Cambodia has defined middle class as those with daily consumption expenditure of between $2.60 and $5.10, in line with the country’s current gross national income (GNI) per capita of $950.

Additional characteristics that define a middle-class person are the ownership of a television and motorbike, according to the bank.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... ddle-class
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:18 pm It all depends how you define middle class, this is from 2014 and sets the bar fairly low, although this is just about daily expenses rather than salaries.:
The World Bank in Cambodia has defined middle class as those with daily consumption expenditure of between $2.60 and $5.10, in line with the country’s current gross national income (GNI) per capita of $950.

Additional characteristics that define a middle-class person are the ownership of a television and motorbike, according to the bank.

Wow, that is a low bar. Is that a fair indication, or is the World Bank just that far out of touch?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

juansweetpotato wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:04 pm Yep, sounds about right. I think the rice soup seller is underestimating by at least $150, as I have been told the minium any shop normally makes, including those crappy little ones, in PP is $500 pm.
I should have said he's a push cart soup rice guy.
-insert signature here
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:37 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:18 pm It all depends how you define middle class, this is from 2014 and sets the bar fairly low, although this is just about daily expenses rather than salaries.:

Wow, that is a low bar. Is that a fair indication, or is the World Bank just that far out of touch?
Here's a link to a recent study done on Cambodian households.
http://www.gapminder.org/dollar-street/ ... 00&lang=en

Eg

Pen family, Cambodia
$ 437/month
The Pen family lives in the Tboung Khmum Province, Cambodia. Thoeurm is 57 years old and works as a rice farmer. She lives with her daughter and a granddaughter in a 1-bedroom house. They own the house and have been living here for 9 years. The next thing they plan on buying is materials to build a fence. Their dream is to own a bigger house someday.

https://earth.google.com/web/@11.922724 ... htdW0YAiAB

They don't look very middle class.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't get where all those quotes came from.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic