Military stand-off on Laos border. (UPDATED 2022)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Military stand-off on Laos border.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia, Laos reach deal over border
1 September 2017
Cambodia and Laos have agreed on ways of resolving the remaining issues along the border between both countries and will write a joint letter to the French president asking for maps of the area.

The [Cambodian] prime minister added that both sides agreed to four points to find a solution to the border issue. Representatives of both sides will also go to the disputed area to check the facts.
He said the Lao premier agreed to his request after his August 2 letter. Mr Sisoulith agreed to resolve border issues at border posts 033, 017, 032 and in the O’Svay zone.
He added that both prime ministers would write letters to the French president to ask for experts to produce maps scaled at 1:100,000 to 1:50,000 to help with demarcation.

At present, 121 of 145 border posts have been installed along the 533-kilometre border, meaning that 83 percent of the demarcation has been completed.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5081065/cam ... al-border/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Despite the so-called border deal, Cambodia is recruiting more soldiers for another brigade which will be stationed in Steung Treng.

Cambodia Establishes New Brigade in Stung Treng
28/10/2017 13:03
Stung Treng (FN), October 28 - Ministry of National Denfense (MoD) officially announced the newly established brigade in Stung Treng on Saturday morning

The brigade was made following Laotian troops, who camped south of the Sekong River in Stung Treng’s Siem Pang district since April, were impeding Cambodian military engineers from moving forward with a border side road project.

MoD announced to recruit soldiers to standby at the new brigade.
=FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
JuntaXT250
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by JuntaXT250 »

Thanks for maintaining this thread. Really interesting info.

I was thinking of doing a visa run via this crossing on my moto, do you have any more updates or local info from steung treng? If so that would be really useful.

I could only find this, which doesn't sound great for my prospects. However my bike is Cambodian plated with papers, so I wonder if I'd get less stick?

Any advice or links appreciated!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Are Cambodia and Laos Really Any Closer to Resolving Their Border Dispute?
Despite some incremental progress, deeper questions remain unresolved.
By Tae-jun Kang
May 21, 2018

- Cambodia and Laos have again agreed to work together to resolve the issue of their disputed border area. This time, two countries decided to set up a coordination mechanism at the departmental level to facilitate the work, while seeking more frequent meetings between the board committees of their own.

Given the fact that border disputes have been the main source of tension between Cambodia and Laos, which have generally enjoyed a good relationship, it might certainly seem encouraging to see two countries putting in the effort together. At the same time, it is still a bit worrisome that the discussions have not made progress fast enough and more concrete measures have not been taken when considering the disputes have caused military tension between the two.

Furthermore, apart from holding these consultations and making incremental progress on confidence-building measures, there are still questions if the two nations have a sincere will to end the border disputes which often seem to be utilized when the domestic situation demands a show of political strength, especially given the suspicions around Cambodian Prime Minister HE’s move last year...
https://thediplomat.com/2018/05/are-cam ... r-dispute/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Laos to reduce border tensions
September 14, 2018
Cambodia and Laos agreed to de-escalate tensions along the border in Stung Treng province during a meeting at the World Economic Forum, a government official attached to Prime Minister HE said yesterday.

In August 2017, Lao troops invaded the Ou Alai and Ou Ta Ngav areas in Stung Treng’s Siem Pang district during a dispute about the construction of a road near the border.

In response, Mr HE ordered thousands of troops to be deployed to the border while giving an ultimatum to Laos to withdraw its forces from within six days.

A day later, Mr HE flew to Vientiane to talk with Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith, after which Laos agreed to withdraw its troops.

Kao Kim Huon, Minister Attached to the Prime Minister, said yesterday at Phnom Penh International Airport that both governments agreed to expand their military ties through a three-point resolution.

“The first and second points are related to both sides withdrawing all troops from the disputed areas,” Mr Kim Huon said. “Third, we will hold joint patrols together. The patrols could be conducted by ground personnel or by using drones.”

He noted that the Cambodian military has ordered its commanders to withdraw from the disputed Ou Ta Ngav area.
Mr Kim Huon said that Cambodian troops are expected to make a withdrawal by 5pm today.

Mr Kim Huon said that respective Foreign Ministries are to be informed regarding the decision and that a joint border committee consisting of officials from both countries will periodically review the situation.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50533297/l ... -tensions/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian-Laos Border Discussions Continue
It is worth noting that Cambodian Prime Minister HE led a high delegation to pay a two-day official visit to Lao PDR from 5-6 December 2018 at the invitation of Lao Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith.

At the press conference, the two Prime Ministers agreed on three principles for the O’ Alay and O’ Ta Ngav as follows: (a) no armed forces of the two countries at the border, (a) no business or investment at the border, and (c) hold joint inspection on land, water, and air issues.

According to Prime Minister HE, both sides will discuss the border issue to draft documents in order to send to France.

Cambodia and Laos share a common border of 540 kilometres. 86 percent or 464.5 kilometres of the borderline has been already examined and 121 of the total 145 border markers have been so far planted.
=FRESH NEWS

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Border relations between Laos and Cambodia have become strained again recently in the disputed area of the border that has yet to be demarcated. However, officials say that the situation is calm and there is no need to worry.

TOP NEWS: Defense Minister Says No Tension at Cambodia-Laos Border, Both Parties to Negotiate Tomorrow
24/08/19
“The problem at Cambodia-Laos border has no serious tension; it was over reacted [by media]; it is just a small issue,” said Minister Banh.
The statement was made after a series of falsified reports released, stating that the Cambodian-Laos situation was tense, as both parties nearly attacked each other at the area of Tonle Lpov of Preah Vihear province.
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 34-57.html

UPDATE:
TOP NEWS: PM HE Phone Talks with Laotian PM to Withdraw Troops; Situation at Ease
24/08/19 15:55
Phnom Penh (FN), Aug. 24 - Cambodia's Prime Minister HE stated that Cambodia-Laos border situation is at ease following the phone talks this morning with Laotian Premier Thongloun Sisoulith.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Fresh News CEO Lim Chea Vutha, who is currently at the Great Wall China, the premier stated that: “At 9 a.m on 24 August 2019, I had a telephone conversation with Laotian Prime Minister Description
Thongloun Sisoulith. We enjoy our good talks and we decided to withdraw our troops from the border area of Three Triangle.”

“Now the situation is at ease, as the two troops eat together. We will continue to negotiate. So nothing to worry,” the premier added.

According to the premier, in mid September 2019, Lao Prime Minister will visit Cambodia to further discuss the remaining border issues.
=FRESH NEWS

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:58 pm Border relations between Laos and Cambodia have become strained again recently in the disputed area of the border that has yet to be demarcated. However, officials say that the situation is calm and there is no need to worry.

TOP NEWS: Defense Minister Says No Tension at Cambodia-Laos Border,

“Now the situation is at ease, as the two troops eat together. We will continue to negotiate. So nothing to worry,” the premier added...

=FRESH NEWS
Phew! So glad CEO news, that you woke us up from an 8 month sleep on this issue - to assure us there is nothing to worry about.
But now i am worried that i was not worried when lots of other people were worried.
Even though there was nothing to worry about we shoulda been worried cos everyone else was worried.
Now i am really worried even though nobody else is now worried, apparently.

Anyway, 'safe to go back to sleep??
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:39 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:58 pm Border relations between Laos and Cambodia have become strained again recently in the disputed area of the border that has yet to be demarcated. However, officials say that the situation is calm and there is no need to worry.

TOP NEWS: Defense Minister Says No Tension at Cambodia-Laos Border,

“Now the situation is at ease, as the two troops eat together. We will continue to negotiate. So nothing to worry,” the premier added...

=FRESH NEWS
Phew! So glad CEO news, that you woke us up from an 8 month sleep on this issue - to assure us there is nothing to worry about.
But now i am worried that i was not worried when lots of other people were worried.
Even though there was nothing to worry about we shoulda been worried cos everyone else was worried.
Now i am really worried even though nobody else is now worried, apparently.

Anyway, 'safe to go back to sleep??
When denials are issued, best look at the issue. Evacuation has been discussed as a possibility, and I was living in that area, I would like to know if there are trigger-happy soldiers ready to shoot each other.
As often, there are two sides to this story; one is playing it up, and the other is playing it down.
“I haven’t disseminated information about the tensions yet, and will wait until the situation escalates to armed conflict before starting an evacuation,” Morodok commune chief Diem Vai said, adding that his superiors had yet to issue an order to proceed.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 62756.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^ yes yes, sorry i am in a frivolous mood. (survival tactic)
I really do appreciate these reports, big time.

It will be interesting to see how the Laos- Cambodian relationship unfolds in the future.
Potentially there are many conflicting interests between the two.
So far, avoiding outright confrontation has been the guiding principle, but that may be due for a change.
Some issues are coming to a head.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic